Busking J.S. Bach

dsmarion

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:08 pm

This is very raw and full of fat-finger-flubs but if I try to get it perfect it will take me forever LOL. I think this is a great song to try and learn even though it literally takes a lifetime to master - I am nowhere close to that but I really enjoy attempting it anyway. Hope you enjoy it and please check it out in Neil's lessons - I know I will once I become a target member.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dekotaj

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Bravo!!Sir

A great work in progress.A real joy to watch you play.Look forward to hearing and seeing more from you.

Kevin

beaker

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 pm

DS, you are a pretty tough on yourself. That was really quite good. I look forward to a 2nd post with the whole piece. Good one. Beaker.

BobR

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Scott,

Very nicely done, and I liked your intro. Look forward to your next installment.

Bob

tovo

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Somehow I don't think it's gonna take you long to post a pretty impressive version, you appear to have all the skills, and they will come back really quick as you play more. Look forward to seeing the next installment.

lueders

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:14 am

Goodness sakes, first Aerosmith (Which I thought was excellent) and now Bach.
( I like your wide ranging musical tastes there.)

I agree with Beaker, you're being too hard on yourself. I thought your Bach didn't sound too shabby at all.
This thing is well on its way. :cheer: :) You can tell you have a pretty good command of things. And, you're pretty
comfortable with that guitar in your hands.

I have one suggestion for you. And only bring it up because Neil has said it like a ga-zillion times...
and, since this is a classical piece. You might try turning your fret hand just a little bit more so that you can lay the
palm of your hand flat on the strings. I have a real hard time remembering to make myself. lol!

D.S., I like your stuff! I hope we see more of you... :) :)

Cori

willem

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 am

Scott,, i find you did very good on that lets say open part from ''bouree'',,it is the easy part of that tune and i play that also for a long time so i know it exactly and i hear you playing that ,,the last view day's i was thinkin to pick up that tune again and see the second part that is a bit harder and more up the neck...

Hey ,,your a great talker too...

Well done

michelew

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 am

Hi Scott,

So great to see you, thanks! ;)

Well what can I say, rusty??

Am very curious how you will play (anything) when you've been playing more since you're already doing very well. You'll definitely don't need another lifetime to get this song down completely.

And it's indeed nice to see you play different styles of music, I like to do that as well, you'll learn different things then and it's fun to be able to do so of course.

Great work Scott, am curious about your progress on this, keep us posted.

Cheers

Vanessa

ps If I may add one suggestion, your left hand, don't let some fingers anchor on the top of the guitar and alternate with your fingers while picking, just a thought!

dsmarion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 am

Kevin - Yeah it's definitely in progress, and been so for a long long time. Thanks.

Beaker - Thanks. I know I am overly critical of myself but then again I expect a lot of myself too. Thanks for reminding me to not do that so much.

Bob - Thank you sir I will try and get up a post of the second half even if it is very rough (it will be too, that part is much, much tougher)

Tony - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I wish I would never have taken so long a layoff. I also wish I still had all the instruments I have sold off over the years - miss them now.

Cori - Thanks for that suggestion! I need more of that because I know I do not have correct technique at all. I play a little like Lee Trevino used to swing a golf club - everything is technically wrong (of course he got great results with his unorthodox swing). I have never heard that before now about laying the palm flat - not sure exactly how that works or if I can even physically do it. The two things I have always struggled with in terms of the playing hand is the fact that my hands are small with short fingers (so many of the really great guitar players have huge hands and long fingers with incredible reach) and also the fact the I am badly double-jointed (this is a great deterrant to doing anything "normal" with the hand and is a big disability I have had to overcome to be able to play at all - remind me to show you sometime what I mean about that). Keep the critique coming - I need all the suggestions I can get.

Willem - You are right, the second half is so much more involved than the first (easy) half. The part I really struggle with on the first half is the "turn-around" - the end of the first run into the beginning of the second run. I am looking forward to your version my friend if you'd like to post it. I noticed in the "free preview" of Neil's lesson that he does the song a bit differently - I learned this song from a friend of mine years ago (he was a really great guitarist around these parts back in the day) and he figured it out completely by ear from Leo's version. I have never seen the true composed version as I don't read music and completely play by ear (in this case someone else's ear lol).

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:50 am

Nice going Scott, you look very at home with that guitar (what make is it?) and you have a very relaxed approach which is great to see.
Take the plunge and join TARGET and join the party!
Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic