Busking U2

tovo

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:48 am

Hey guys. Thanks for some very honest feedback...which is exactly what I asked for so I shouldn't feel disappointed.

The consensus appears to be that I need to learn how to tune a guitar and that the tune sounds out of my range. Even got a couple of PMs about that one. (This sounds like I am throwing a tantrum but as I write I can say that I'm not pouting so all cool)

Bit disappointed with the singing observations as it FELT well in my range. Back to the drawing board with that. Perhaps tried too hard to open up a bit as I have held back a bit with singing.

The tuning...well I must have a tin ear!

Again please...although it sounds like a bit of foot stomping and pouting (which I have been known to do) I will revisit these issues and try to improve, so thank you all.

dennisg

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:58 am

Tony,

It takes a lot of guts to sing a U2 song, but you totally pulled it off because 1) Your voice is so different from Bono's, and 2) Your voice is excellent. Really, top-notch job of singing.

I agree that the song needs some variety in your strumming, and could even benefit from occasional picking. I also agree that it sounds like the high E string is slightly flat, which is not that unusual when you capo up an electric.

The idea that you might do an open-mic is exciting, and I think you definitely have the chops to pull it off. I wish we'd thought of that when you were in Seattle because I'd have loved to do one with you.

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:02 am

Hey Tony,

Great job mate, enjoyed it very much! Well I'm a big U2-fan as well and this song is of course a great one!

I'll be echoing Chris when it comes down to the strumming pattern. And especially with such a guitar, yes she's beautiful ;) , I would use a little palmmuting as well. That way you can kinda simulate the drumfeel wich is in the original. Of course you can combine it with the folkstrum here and there, but it really adds to the rhythm of the song.

As for the singing, I was suprised that you could reach so high, since you usually sing lower, and you still sound very good then. For that I think it's a great idea to expand your singing-abilities, because you have a good voice with a nice tone.

The higher parts are high of course, so the only suggestion that I would want to give is to belt it out more, or to take it a half step down. I think the latter would be better, but it's up to you of course. I'm suggesting this because the high notes sound a little forced (wich is logical since it's high for a male, Bono has an amazing voice and range for that matter) and here and there not exactly in the right pitch. Just a thought.

Keep m coming Tony, I'd réally like to see you singing and playing more!

Ness

lueders

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:31 am

Hey Tony,

Heck yes, Open Mic is right for you!! I don't know what open mic is like in your neck of the woods. But,
honestly most open mics I have been to are fairly talent starved. Always seems like there are one or two
near virtuosos and then everything else is all over the map. No one usually expects you to be a professional
at those things...and that's kinda the point isn't it? If you give it a shot you'll probably be real surprised at
how well ya do...good luck. Believe in yourself! We all believe in U2!
(boom chick, whomp, whomp whaaaa! :silly: )

I love your guitar and enjoyed your performance. I had I a thought for you on this U2 song though. If you
have an effects peddle/unit this would be a perfect time to dial in some slight "delay" If you don't have that
you might try a chorus reverb, or reverb channnel on your amp. I know that is sacrilege to say that on an
acoustic guitar site. (But we're talkin' The Edge here. What better time?) Anyways, just a thought....

If you do the open Mic. Make sure you do "Hallelujah" that was my favorite of yours. I think your singing style
fit it perfectly. Plus, anybody who knows anything knows it was written by one of the best songwriters of all
time (L.Cohen) and also performed by one of the best guitarists of all time. ( J.Buckley) That will give you
some immediate street cred with all the coffee house crowd. Then you can experimental & bust out the
Midnight Oil, & Pogues when they are all good & liquored up. (Both crowd pleasers as well.)

Enough rambles,

Good Work Tony

P.S. Are You trying to look like The Edge, these days?

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am

Tony, I agree that this is your best singing yet here ... have you ever heard that Bono almost got kicked out of U2 because of his singing?

At some point, he had a breakthrough ...

If the issue here is the high notes, I would humbly suggest you experiment with putting a bit more wind into them and possibly tilting your chin downwards at the same time,. The worst that can happen is that it will keep you from sneezing in the middle of the song.

I ain't no expert of course ... just glad to shoot the breeze about this fine effort. Damn well done.

If you're taking requests, I think you'd do a killer version of U2's "Bad".

Pierre

snipe

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:46 am

Tony,

I think you are really good sir! Go knock em dead!!!!

Mike

willem

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:57 am

tovo wrote:
Hey guys. Thanks for some very honest feedback...which is exactly what I asked for so I shouldn't feel disappointed.

The consensus appears to be that I need to learn how to tune a guitar and that the tune sounds out of my range. Even got a couple of PMs about that one. (This sounds like I am throwing a tantrum but as I write I can say that I'm not pouting so all cool)

Bit disappointed with the singing observations as it FELT well in my range. Back to the drawing board with that. Perhaps tried too hard to open up a bit as I have held back a bit with singing.

The tuning...well I must have a tin ear!

Again please...although it sounds like a bit of foot stomping and pouting (which I have been known to do) I will revisit these issues and try to improve, so thank you all.

I am here for the tig time 'cos i am distracked from all other stuff,,this is so a great song and i am sure you CAN do it,,it is not out of your range you were almost there,,,come on Tony,,you get that crowd out of the chairs

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 am

I thought the key for your singing was well placed Tony. If you try one step down and one step up you'll be able to confirm its just fine as it is or you may find you can do more in a higher or lower key... those higher notes come much more easily when you sing the next day after a good day's singing the day before... so a lot of singing will increase your range for sure. Have some fun experimenting.

reiver

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:37 am

Hey Tony

No shortage of advice so far, eh? You do like the songs with the large ranges. don't you (The River?). I thought you put in a powerful singing performance and got the emotion of the song over extremely well.

I'm not really going to add anything insightful to what's already been said (no change there) but I do think that this video has sparked a few questions in me - mostly about how and why people make the decisions they do in the creation of a performance, whether it's for public display or not. Which guitar should I play? What key will I play in? Will that mean transposing or use of a capo? Should I pick or strum - and in what pattern? I suppose the essence of these questions is how do we apply our musicality to our musicianship?

Answers on a postcard to..............

Nice guitar, by the way!

Stuart

buddy

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:41 am

Tony my friend,

I love that new guitar and your new look with that goat on your face is just perfect to go with it. I thought your vocals were pretty good on this as you reached those high notes and you were on pitch. The tough thing on those high notes is that the tendency is to close down the throat. You could try to make a smile shape with your mouth which keep your mouth in a more open shape when you sing the high notes, the more open your mouth is for the high notes then the more relaxed your throat will stay.

I would enjoy hearing your do this song at open mic, so don't give up on it mate,

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic