Busking U2

tovo

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:10 am

I think this video is pretty self-indulgent, and I hesitated to post. Main reason for posting is that I really got a lot from Wrench's thread on performing and his advice to pick pretty simple tunes and put effort into singing them. That's what I have done here as I am preparing to step up to my ambition of performing at an open mic night. Please let me know if you think this is wrong for me or if it just plain sucks. I'd rather hear it from friends than in public. Cheers all.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:30 am

Well you too Tony,,,new guitar he,,just great,,man i was a bit freakin on your song and you inspire me to give that a go as well..

As for the song,,and what i thought(spontaneous)while following you

don't know if you were useing a pick or not,,i thought not but maybe? you must try it(not sure)
When you start singin WOW,,,you know you can tell a song and i was focused on that and i think you did,,maybe it need some work on the higher parts(more on the note,,mmm did i say that)
Maybe but i can't tell you how,,,experiment with the adjustment of your setup and find the adjustment you like most(also for stage)

tI think with a litlle more practice you got a hit for that open mike and they will sing along with you,,when they do ! well keep playing..

I can't really imagine that i write all this,,,but this were my spontaneous thought by following,,,,good on you mate,,,i love it a

EDIT after listen for the third time,, i think you have a song and did pretty well,,,maybe on 1.32 on the low note and word ''live'' more focus????

edit after the fifth time watching,,i also saw some guitar faces,

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:52 am

You had me singing along with you Tony... nice job! I thought the singing was really good and well worthy of an open mic. In fact, that was your best bit of singing to date. One piece of advice (I know, doesn't often happen with me!) try using just down strokes on the strumming. I just played along with you and used double the number of strokes (I think) but just down strokes getting that beat you hear on the original. Hope that's clear... if not PM me and I'll make a quick demo.
Great job!

michelew

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:11 am

Tony,

That was GREAT!!! The philosophy is really working for you. The simply playing really let the emotion in you singing shine through.

Confidence by the bucket loads. You look like you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

I'm not saying that Chris' advice mightn't improve things. But, you already sound fabulous.

You're ready. Go for it.

I LOVE the new look and the new guitar...niiiiiiice.

Great job mate.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:15 am

Oh man, sorry Tony, I didn't mention the new guitar! Looks an absolute beaut!!
Er, sound slightly out of tune... I think the capo is on skew-wiff. :-).

willem

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:30 am

Man i love this,, you got me on this song today,,,i hear you use the folkstrum and i heard Chris say it are all downstrokes and i must agree on that,,i saw some on the tube and they did alll downs but with the feel from the folkstrum i think its the same playing Vanessa did on our dutch song ''het is een nacht'' hitting 3 quick downs and then 4 up,then UDU,,this on trying to hit various strings but in a roll...

abiliog

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:11 am

Hi Tony,
Great job already with a clean and steady strumming.
I'm with Chris on his advice, even alternate the down strokes on one part of the song to another pattern in the chorus, maybe. Just to change a little bit the strumming through the whole song, but this is a big maybe.
The singing are just perfect to me, a lot of feeling in it.
If I were in the audience, I would ask for encore no doubt about that,
Nice guitar as well :)
Abilio

dsmarion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:59 am

Hi Tony,

Hey that was a great run-thru on a very tough song to sing. I think Chris' advice was solid. The one thing I would add is that in a song where you want to hilight the vocals the instrumental parts should take a subtle backing role. Maybe both the singing and guitar are currently getting too much equal billing in the performance so I would offer that the instrumental part might be played a little more in the background and the voice can then take center stage. Doing only the down-strums will help you achieve that I think. Hope that makes sense. I think your vioce is really well-suited for this song and sounds great so keep working on making that part take hold and own the audience.

Thanks for sharing!

Scott

coomba

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:08 am

Its all good Tony ,take it to the people.

Cheers Scott

suziko

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:34 am

Tony,

Great job! You really put a lot of feeling into that, and your singing sounds great (best yet, I'd say!). I like the advice that others have given you. Definitely it would be nice for you to vary the strumming in some way throughout the song. Maybe varying the intensity or the pattern a bit. Keeping the same pattern throughout ends up being a bit monotonous. I love the idea of you following your dream to do an open-mic! I just wish I could be there to watch it.

Suzi

P.S. I forgot to mention: that's one snazzy new guitar!! Got a story to tell us? :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic