Busking U2

daryl

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:13 pm

So Cori, Who's got that GREAT voice? Lucky lucky man......Great video. I'm sure Tony will get something out of it!

lueders

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:41 pm

daryl wrote:
So Cori, Who's got that GREAT voice? Lucky lucky man......Great video. I'm sure Tony will get something out of it!
Hello Daryl, yeah that is just some barmaid I picked up down at the pub....heehe. :cheer:

No that is my wife, Krista. :) (And Thanks!) She's pretty amazing to me in what she can do with her voice...well, in a lot of ways... Just a pretty good egg, all the way around. Good singers are so gosh dang lucky! She can sing in about any style or any stinkin' octave she wants to. I am SO jealous. The same with Buddy's friend Ellie and Al's wife Helen. They're all too darn good. They're outta be a law...

daryl

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Just to hijack Tony's thread a little longer.....why is it that more women than men can sing? At least that's the way it seems to me. I believe that if you picked 100 men and 100 women (randomly) and asked them each to sing something more than half the women would sound FANTASTIC and way less then half the men would be just OK. Bummer for us guys. :-(

suziko

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Cori and Krista,

Wow! I'm blown away by how great Krista's voice is! And I loved the possible strum pattern you suggested to Tony. That was super kind of you to make that video for him, and really all of us could use that as an instructional vid. I'd never thought about playing With or Without You, but now I think I will!!

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Nice example Cori... and lovely singing Krista!

Daryl: Robert Fulghum pointed out in, All I Needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten, that if you ask a Kindergarten class who can sing... they all put their hands up but if you ask a college class only one or two respond. Obviously something goes wrong on the way growing up. I think there are just as many good male voices as female... but the men are busy doing manly things! I was faced with quite a bit of "girlie" comments and innuendos as a young lad singing.... from my own family! Playing with my sister's dolls was maybe bad movetoo :-)!

Thanks for being a good host Tony! :-)

lueders

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 pm

daryl wrote:
Just to hijack Tony's thread a little longer.....why is it that more women than men can sing? At least that's the way it seems to me. I believe that if you picked 100 men and 100 women (randomly) and asked them each to sing something more than half the women would sound FANTASTIC and way less then half the men would be just OK. Bummer for us guys. :-(
AMEN, preach on Deacon Daryl! SO TRUE. That same thought occurred to me while looking at vids on youtube the other day...Don't get me wrong there are some GREAT male singers out there. John, Chris, & Buddy come to mind. I like Brad's voice a lot too. Hydro has folksy Neil Young thing goin.' Dennis is versatile and can really belt it whenever he wants to. Tony has cool unique voice. (sorry if left anyone out.) There are quite a few fellas on youtube
that can belt it. But the ratio ridiculously favors the ladies. I think. But the ratio on guitar proficiency often seems the opposite. That certainly doesn't apply at TG...where the ladies play great. I mean think about it. Vanessa, Shel, Suz,and Tammy. That is a killer group. (All of whom, are good at both.) Okay enough tangential-hijacking for now.

*P.S. Hope I didn't offend with this. I leave open the possibility I could be full of crap-ola at any given time. lol!

Cori

michelew

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 pm

suziko wrote:
Cori and Krista,

Wow! I'm blown away by how great Krista's voice is! And I loved the possible strum pattern you suggested to Tony. That was super kind of you to make that video for him, and really all of us could use that as an instructional vid. I'd never thought about playing With or Without You, but now I think I will!!

Suzi
Cori and Krista - I agree with Suzi; cool strumming and angelic voice (damn fine).

Although I think that a mix of strumming patterns adding this into Tony's to vary it a little would be better than just using Cori's throughout. But, whatever works and feels right. Remember too that the mission was to keep it simple.

Tony,

I ABSOLUTELY believe that there is nothing to be embarrassed about here. You've got some good advice that you can try out; use whatever feels right to YOU. And by my reckoning the 'this is great' aspect of people's comments is still the main message. I'm reading 'this is great and if you tweak it in this way it will be even better'. EVERYONE here is learning. You're a champion in my books just for putting yourself out there and asking people what they really think. That takes guts and you've got it by the truck loads. I still reckon that you'll knock 'em dead at an open mic night. Just pick something you're feeling good about and keep it simple as you intend to do. We all know how nerves can mess with your head, your voice and your hands. Fine adjustments (trial and error) if needed and this song WILL be one you can take too (when you feel comfortable with it again).

Love ya mate. Be sweet to yourself. I believe in you and I'm damn proud to have you as a friend.

No guts no glory. You'll be GREAT!

Shel

dekotaj

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 pm

BRAVO!!Tony,

Let me start by saying when I first saw the title(U2)I though good another band to check out.Got on line and(HEY!!)I know that song.So I watch it again.And must say I enjoyed everything about you performance.Reading the comments I was thinking man I must be going deaf.And as far as the vocals I went back and lesson to your song again and again.I really loved the vocals on this song(HIGHS & LOW)parts.I not no singer by on means,but I no what sound good to me.I REALLY enjoyed them.Not blowing wind up your skirt brother,I really did enjoy every part.That's my two cents worth.

BRAVO!!Tony
Kevin

P.S.If your vocals or not up to snuff.I better stop sing right now.

lueders

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Suzi, Chris, Michele...

You rascals were sneakin in there when I was typing Daryl.

Suzi- WOW! I'll pass your kind words onto Krista. And an instructional vid? uh, Wow, again. As for helping out Tony
well, I kinda like the green fella. :cheer: Thanks Suzi, you're a good egg too!

Chris- GEEZ,Thanks for the kind words for us. You're a scholar & a gentleman. I found that analysis of
E.I.W.T.K.I.L.I.K. interesting and very close to the mark. As a K-12 Art teacher I see a similar phenomena in
the visual arts play out. Seems it is all a byproduct of strange societal socialization processes. BUMMER!!!

Shel- WOW, Angelic! I'll pass on your kind words to Krista. And I'm flattered to think I could help "ADD-TO"
anything useful. (Just stole ideas from Suzi, Chris, & Vanessa... that's all.) Thanks again you're a good egg too.

Tony- Thank you for your indulgence for this post getting kinda tangential and also for being the good all-around
guy I truly believe you are. And for what it is worth. I think you have some REAL good pals in the three
people mentioned above!!

Cori

dennisg

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Cori,

Putting myself in Tony's shoes, I can imagine that the first time he saw your demo video, he might have found it hard to watch. But I know that when he goes away and puts some distance between himself and all the comments he's received, he'll internalize everything and ultimately find much of it very valuable and be a better musician for it. I remember that we drove him absolutely batty with comments on Norwegian Wood, and he ended up playing it really well. That's what constructive comments are for. And as difficult as they sometimes are to hear, Tony's one of those people who benefits from them. I admire that about him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic