Busking U2

dekotaj

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Damn well put Dennis.

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:26 pm

One thing I noticed was what a great vocal range you have, Tony.
You didn't seem to go into your 'head voice' (is that the correct term?) or falsetto even in the high parts. Bono does.
So your range is and will be even more impressive when you tap into that reserve.

I don't think you should drop it down unless you feel you're really straining.
If I only sang songs I thought were in my range I'd only sing about 4 songs.
And I'd never go near a Neil Young tune!

Stick with it.

Hydroman52

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Tony,

I listened to your video three times and don't find anything wrong with your singing. You do need to tune the guitar . . . but I think you've already got that under control. I like Scott's (dsmarion) comment about taking the guitar down a bit and bringing the vocals more to the front. Then the guitar doesn't become as crucial.

I would still consider the suggestions that others have made. It's all good advice and I'd wager that you will find things that you will like. These are smart people. Cori and Krista gave you some good ideas for a strumming pattern. I have the feeling that they already do open mics. If not, they should.

To be quite honest, if you go to the open mic with a tuned guitar and do just what you showed us here, I think you'll do just fine. Actually, this is quite funny . . . . you've already hung a bunch of videos out on the Internet for a jillion people to see and you're worried about what a few might think at an open mic . . . . . . um . . . . . . okay, I guess I would be a bit nervous, too.

We're all rooting for you. Good Luck when you take it to the mic,

Hydroman52

willem

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 am

lueders wrote:
Tony, I hope I am not overstepping my bounds by putting this here. :unsure:
But I had an idea or two for you, while incorporating some of: Suzi, Vanessa, Chris's rhythmic ideas. Suzi (acoustic
simplicity) Chris(downstrokes) Vanessa(palm muting. I don't know why you should feel embarrassed either. Besides,
as I see it...this place is a grand testing/learning ground.. (Remember when Elvis Costello and the Chili Peppers
kicked my duff? Those were train wrecks...your's was just fine. ) There was nothing wrong with your way of doing it
at all. Lot of ways to skin a mountain lion. ;)

I think this way is a simple solution. It is super easy and a minimal way to accent the driving rhythm and
still keep the guitar in the background & still keep it kinda minimal & atmospheric sounding....

That was really great Krista and Cori and for me this progression is the one(i think the most used) but i discoverd also one with a lot of D kinda chords in it sort of D/....as for your example i find it is great when you do the performing seperated(one playing the guitar,one sings..i think when one person does both your example is to difficult,,you must keep it simple with the guitar part,maybe a litlle mixup from strumming to a bit fingerpickin,,i don''t know if i do right here but this is a vid that i saw with the D/.....but i prefer the D-A-Bm-G progression

tovo

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:52 am

I will go away, pick apart the advice, demos and comments and try hard to improve.

Thank you all.

jayswett

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:55 am

Just a couple of thoughts, not havng read all of the responses:
1) That song did not seem out of your range to my ear, but I don't feel qualified to make any comments with regard to singing.
2) Love the look of that guitar
3) You are definitely ready for an open mic
4) When you do play at your open mic, I'd suggest you also play Philadelphia. I loved that video.

Hydroman52

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:25 am

tovo wrote:
Right now I am smarting more than a little but would I ever want people to lie to me and start telling me I'm something I'm not?
Tony, snap out of it . . . . . . . I just watched your video again. You’ll be fine if you take it to the open mic right now. All this free advice is like free candy . . . . . it’s there, it’s free, it’s sweet, but you don’t have to take any of it. Your version is really good. Be yourself, you’ll be fine.

Hydroman52

BigBear

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Tony- Did I miss the boat or when did you decide to contribute to Bob Taylor's retirement fund- again? Beautiful guitar!! Goes great with the other Taylor. Now you have no excuses for not becoming an amazing guitarist!! LOL!

Hey, great job on this song. Smooth, steady and your vocals sounded great. Capoing put it right into your wheelhouse (American baseball term for a pitch that is thrown into the batter's sweetspot who then smashes it, usually for a home run!)

Only suggestion, and this is a tough one, is try throwing in a few barres or partial chords to vary the song. It's tends to get pretty boring playing a whole song in first position and I know you have advanced to being able to mix it up a bit. For example, I think the chorus could lend itself perfectly to being played way up the neck and maybe picked out a bit. Jusy an idea.

As always, the hat made the song and you are sounding great. Geez, with all that gear you're almost a pro!!

Best,

:cheer:

tovo

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks Bear. The idea of some barres to change it up a bit is a great one.

To all that commented I do want to say thanks. I'm blown away by the support I got and in particular, the love and support from a bunch of my closest long-distance friends (who absolutely should know who they are) who helped me get over my feelings of disappointment and frustration. (in some cases by giving me a long distance kick in the ass!!)

Thing is guys, I asked very, very directly for critical feedback. It's the best kind. Then I got on my high-horse a bit when I got exactly what I asked for! What a silly thing to do.

What bothers me most is that I may have put people off being honest in future when giving me feedback. PLEASE....keep the critical feedback coming. I sure value it, even if it can be confronting at first.

And in my best Forest Gump...."That's all I got to say about that".

Lavallee

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Tony, sorry to be so late, I have not done much internet lately. You are a lucky man to have all these people with knowledge giving you advices, a great sign of much people feel about you, you are a friend. I personally thought your singing was great , a agree with a little variety in the strumming/chords, but not too much so that you can stay focus in communicating with emotion. Your new guitar is beautiful.

I know you will do great in the open mic.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic