Busking Bread

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:02 pm

I figure the best way to thank Neil for putting up a song that you like is to upload a version of it. Here's my run at "Everything That I Own".

No vocals yet- maybe in the future. Mr. Gates does sing pretty high though!

Anyways- is anyone else out there working on any Bread tunes??

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dekotaj

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Great to have you back and playing!!!

Bravo Al !!!

Kevin

lueders

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:15 pm

That is sure TASTY BREAD! :laugh: Sure sounds nice, Al. You have: usual crystal tone, nice transitions/flow from one attack to the next, & good overall technique...pretty much everything you want to have in guitar performance.
You are getting some real good clarity and bite out of your strums using "Neil's imaginary pick technique" too. That
impresses me. That isn't easy to do. GREAT JOB AL!

jayswett

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Nice transitions from pickerpicking to strumming. Not easy, in my opinion.

tovo

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Al, great to see you and posting. Fine job as well. I agree with Cori and Jay, great smooth strumming without a pick and great transitions. If this is a bit high for you, perhaps Helen could get some more airplay? Great work anyway eh!

suziko

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Great to see you back, Al!! Yeah, these Bread songs are hard to sing! I love Make it With You and Baby I'm-a Want You and am kind of hoping to see a lesson on them at some point to round out the Bread package! We'll see...

Like others have said, great technique on the fingerpicking/strumming. It sounded really nice!

Suzi

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Al, very nice work there ... hadn't jumped on the lesson when it appeared and then kinda forgot about it.

I like this tune a lot, and the lyrics are so sweet ... you made me stop and smell the roses ... hmmmm .....

Pierre

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm

I just watched my video back and it is a bit boring without the vocals. Pretty song though.

Kevin- i'm glad to post another vid. But good to see that you and others are carrying the upload torch! :)

Cori- interesting you mention the 'imaginary pick'. This is the 2nd take I did of this song. In my 1st take- I did more of an open-hand strum where you use the pads of your index finger on the upstroke and the nails of your fingers on the downstroke. I think I'm more comfortable with the more open handed strum, but this was the better take overall.

Jay- thanks. That's the hardest part of this song for me.. The transitions (and a couple of tough changes). Luckily the song goes close to a snail's pace, so you've got a chance at hitting them ok.

Tony- thanks. But I don't think this is up H's alley. She's not into the Sappy Seventies like I am. Guess I could ask.

Suzi- hopefully there are more Bread songs to come, including 'Maybe I'm A Want You' and 'Make It With You'.
Although I bet Neil could do a combo-lesson, and cover both songs in one shot! They're very similar to my ear.
Anyways, thanks for checking it out.

Pierre- That happens to me quite often. I'll forget about a lesson until someone else posts a video on it. Then I'm hooked!
Glad to help facilitate the exercising of your olfactory glands!

Craig

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey Al, nice work! I thought you were solid all the way around on that. Very clear. I was singing along with you... of course in my head only!
I feel pretty good about "If", and just started taking a look at "Diary" this weekend!
Great job.
Craig

buddy

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Al, You made toast out of that bread, really nice playing and the guitar is sounding great. Really nice transitions from the picking to the strumming and back.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic