Busking Cure

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:31 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Cori. This is quite funny as The Cure sing slightly off key which is really hard to to do... much harder than singing in tune. ;-).
I may be able to help with that but I'm not sure I can coach anyone to sing like Robert Smith.
I wonder what Vanessa thinks about that?

Great! THANX!!! The clouds are lifting already! :) :) :) When can I start my training Jedi Master Chris?

I too am curious as to what the Baron-ness of Musicality might have to say on the matter.

daryl

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:36 am

Cori, In terms of timing issues....either try a metronome (boring) or a simple drum track (much more interesting) to keep you in time. PM me if you want some drum loops.

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 am

daryl wrote:
Cori, In terms of timing issues....either try a metronome (boring) or a simple drum track (much more interesting) to keep you in time. PM me if you want some drum loops.
OOOH! Daryl, Drum Loops you say? I would LOVE some, Sir! Thanks! I am convinced drums behind a person make you play better...maybe because you don't have to worry so much about filling out the sound or holding down the rhythm. Not sure which...maybe a little of both. Drum loops would really help me on this song to keep the time during that main solo section. That is the main place the timing got a little bit funky...right where I spliced those two solo bits together and then also when I go back into the strumming.... I THINK

I'll PM ya as soon as I get done typing this...

Lavallee

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:08 am

Hi Cori, you always have a knack for capturing the essence of a song. The timing of the transition with the solo you mentioned will come with some practice. I always like your choice of songs.

Marc

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks a lot Marc! :) :)

Capturing the essence heh?... that is quite the compliment! I hope you're right about the timing stuff. It's tough for one guitar to compete with a full band sound. But I think you are right, I think the timing of all
those pieces coming together can work... a baseline, a synth keyboard bit, the one main riff, the one main solo, and then the strumming. Really quite a few different pieces to this thing when you think about it. lol!

You said you liked my choice of songs...well I have always liked yours as well!!
** What are you working on these days?

suziko

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 am

Well, Cori, sounds like you got me right! I do love the Cure. :) I was really excited to see your upload this morning, and to see how you arranged this song. You set quite a challenge for yourself, arranging that intro and the solo, but you did a good job. It's a complete piece the way it is, and I liked how you mixed things up near the end of the song, moving the chords up the neck. Yeah, there are some minor timing issues, but that's something that I'm sure will go away as you play it more.

I'd love to play Just Like Heaven, but just strumming through the chords never felt right (I've tried it), and I'm not at the point where I could translate the piano part at the beginning (and I think in the middle somewhere? I'm not listening to it and i'm trying to remember in my head how it sounds) into something on the guitar. Maybe some day!

Suzi

Lavallee

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 am

Hi Cori,

Not all the pieces of the band needs to be there, a lot like what Neil is showing in many lessons where he is adding one riff or two of another instrument integrated in the guitar.

I am working on more traditional stuff Long cool woman with a black dress (trying to sing on this one, beware), Aqualung, Mother goose, Cocaine, American woman (interesting intro), Black Water, among other things

Marc

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:53 am

Cori:

I have to admit that the title of the thread led me to believe there was something wrong with busking and you had a cure for it...... :laugh:

I was surprised and pleased to see that it was just a cover of a great song! I was never a huge fan back in the day, but my wife like them quite a bit and got me hooked. This song, "Just Like Heaven" and "Pictures of You" are my favorites. You can throw in "Friday, I'm In Love" sometimes too......

I did not think the timing issues were as noticeable as you said, but the prospect of adding and playing to some drum tracks sounds very interesting...

Like the others, I thought you kicked butt on the little licks and runs. Great work!

MJ

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 am

Hey Suz,

Glad you thought it had all the essential parts of the song in there. Just like with the Femmes, I like it a lot when fans weigh in.... Yep, my record collection must look a lot yours...)

Being familiar with the song, you might know what I am talking about here:

I was working from a tab on this song and it was an excellent tab except for one thing. It bugged me that it didn't have that synth keyboard bit was. So I figured it out and put it in there; and it comes just before the main guitar solo which starts way up on the tenth & twelfth fret. Normally they are played by separate instruments...and basically right on top of each other. So it is a real struggle to make that sound right. But there is another way to play the meat of that solo more toward the middle of the neck. That way I won't have to go head-hunting the tenth fret from the synth bit at 5th position. As for the bits of the baseline I added in there...I think that stuff is working okay.

I have an excellent tab/sheet music for Just like Heaven. I am actually working on that one too!! I could tab it out for you if you want...that really cool, fast melodic descending line really makes that song. I don't have the piano but there is definitely enough for an arrangement that does the original justice. INMO

Another key to JLH, I am finding out, is that the chord progression: A,E,Bmin,Dsus, doesn't sound right with out the all-purpose passing chord, played for a couple strums after you release each chord. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Thanks Again Suzi!!! :) :) :) :)

suziko

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 am

Cori- I'll pm you with my email address so we can talk about this more w/o hijacking your thread!

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic