Busking Cure

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 am

I thought we needed some Cure in the busking channel. So I thought I would butcher one for you.
I have always thought The Cure was a very underrated band. I think their guitar style though often minimal, is really interesting stuff. Robert Smith definitely makes my list of underrated songwriters...

There are some timing issues here and there; and my singing is crummy as usual. But, I was having a lot of fun trying with this song. This tune and "Just Like Heaven" are just such great tunes. Comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cori

EDIT: Here is one of MANY versions of this song that The Cure have done over the years. I thought I would put this here for folks not too familiar with the tune. Also, that way you can directly see how bad I was re-creating it. LOL!
I just tried to get the essential parts of the song in there. I got all the key parts. Now I have to work on timing and take some singing lessons...

tovo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:29 am

Hey Cori. Well we sure do like the same bands! I really like The Cure. I agree with you that there were an underrated band. They had quite an impact on the Goth scene in the early 80s around the time I was about 17-18. (Wasn't a Goth though my 2 Sister-in-Laws were!) You sure took on a bit of a tough one with plenty of little licks throughout. I thought all the bits were great, your licks were all well played and clean and you handled the journey around the neck pretty well! I think the tune looks like quite a workout in parts. You mentioned yourself some timing issues but really, there's a heap of different parts to address and plenty of chances for timing issues. I hope you intend to continue to develop this one, love to see an update in due course. Good stuff.

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:45 am

Thanks Tony, I have got into trouble in the past trying to make my composite arrangements. (Like when I tried to change the key of Costello's Allison and add the lead bits in with it... it ended up making it too complicated for a lone guitar.) This time I didn't do that, and is almost gonna work...if I keep practicing...I THINK.

YES, I do think we like the same bands. I think my taste in music is quite similar to you, Suzi, and Dennis.

Thanks Again, Dude!

willem

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:53 am

Cori, i have to dig some grey cells to what the cure was,and seen you playing this it certainly have my attension today,,well i saw much nice runs and licks and on the strumming i really began to swing and tapping my feet,,heard some nice lyricks too,,a baut the singin, what i think i know that is that most of the time the melody(tone or note) is in the chord(and you strumming it),,what i try to say is ,,try to pick it out with your ear,,just trying to help!!!!! it is what i try tooo..keep on rocking,, hey, are you on holiday???

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:18 am

Willem, thanks man. Glad you liked the licks & the tune. And No worries. Getting help is what we are here for. You
certainly aren't offending me...its pretty obvious I can't carry a tune in a rusty bucket. I'll take ANY help I can get
with singing. SERIOUSLY!! I know what you're saying about the melody notes lying within the chord structures and
that kind of helps me to zero in and hear the target pitch. But, so much of the time even where I know what note I
am supposed to be singing...I have a very hard time making my voice get there. I am seriously considering singing
lessons. Playing these songs would be so much more fun if I was better at it. :(

I have been on holiday/summer break. I am teacher, and school is about to start up again. Aargh! much less TG time!

willem

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:39 am

lueders wrote:
Willem, thanks man. Glad you liked the licks & the tune. And No worries. Getting help is what we are here for. You
certainly aren't offending me...its pretty obvious I can't carry a tune in a rusty bucket. I'll take ANY help I can get
with singing. SERIOUSLY!! I know what you're saying about the melody notes lying within the chord structures and
that kind of helps me to zero in and hear the target pitch. But, so much of the time even where I know what note I
am supposed to be singing...I have a very hard time making my voice get there. I am seriously considering singing
lessons. Playing these songs would be so much more fun if I was better at it. :(

I have been on holiday/summer break. I am teacher, and school is about to start up again. Aargh! much less TG time!

Singin lessons is much fun,,first your a bit of shy but when you a bit used to it the fun is getting bigger and the teacher gets you higher and higher,,i know from myself i am often off pitch,, i sing in a choir so that helps maybe too(to be on pitch),,well atleast i have a practice shedule on the songs there and it is a whole evening singin,,maybe a nice thing to do is strumming Am and a C chord and hum the A note in the Am(third string,second fret) and when you are on the C try to hum the G (open third string) and so you experiment with other chords,,or play scale on the strings and hum along with it...(you don't believe it, i just invented this),,when you try the chords idea you can capo up everytime and see what comes.BTW i think you can nail the song(love song) and do both the guitar and the singin....yeah pity when it is less TG but i think you enjoyed every second of your break..

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:13 am

Great fun Cori!
I like a bit of Cure too.... and you were getting close the feel of the singing there... not at all easy to sing The Cure!
It's no problem for you to move from strumming to picking and fill-ins and that is also not so easy.
Thanks for posting.

lueders

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:51 am

Thanks a lot Chris! That's cool that you like the Cure!!

Chris, I actually would ask a favor of you...... if you have the time.
(but, I guess you "never found" it...boom chick...rimshot, whomp. whomp, waaa!...dumb joke.)

Anyways, this is going to sound ridiculous...but if you or any of our singers would watch this video and tell me
specifically where the singing totally goes off the rails. Since I am practically tone deaf. I was wondering if anyone
can tell me where in the song it is bad, worse, and worst of all. I know it is ridiculous, but I just don't have a clue
singing wise. I really want to get better at this area. It would make things so much more enjoyable for me;AND ALL
OF YOU!! :laugh:

EDIT: I can listen to it and tell you I am flat as hell. But beyond that I need help...

willem

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:07 am

lueders wrote:
Thanks a lot Chris! That's cool that you like the Cure!!

Chris, I actually would ask a favor of you...... if you have the time.
(but, I guess you "never found" it...boom chick...rimshot, whomp. whomp, waaa!...dumb joke.)

Anyways, this is going to sound ridiculous...but if you or any of our singers would watch this video and tell me
specifically where the singing totally goes off the rails. Since I am practically tone deaf. I was wondering if anyone
can tell me where in the song it is bad, worse, and worst of all. I know it is ridiculous, but I just don't have a clue
singing wise. I really want to get better at this area. It would make things so much more enjoyable for me;AND ALL
OF YOU!! :laugh:

Well Cori, i would have studyed the or an sheet/music,,, and play melody and try to make the same pitch(and then try to remember it),,hope the link work and you see what I mean..

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mt ... =MN0047567&

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 am

Hi Cori. This is quite funny as The Cure sing slightly off key which is really hard to to do... much harder than singing in tune. ;-).
I may be able to help with that but I'm not sure I can coach anyone to sing like Robert Smith.
I wonder what Vanessa thinks about that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic