Collaboration of With or without you

tovo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Good morning all. (Yeah I know....in the US I`m a lazy bum who sleeps uniil lunchtime!)

Everyone who offered an ecouraging comment thanks very much. It is appreciated.

Shel, the pick you mentioned sounds interesting indeed. I`ll get moe info from you. I think it doesn`t help with the inviible picking technique that I have no fingernails. But each time I try to grow they just break off. Still tempted to go the false ones but walking into a beauty parlour is not good for an orgre and might scare the ladies. I`m with you, I like certain aspects of both versions, which is probably a good thing.

Chris I hear you mate. I think I simply need to keep experimenting with keys and octaves. I am developing an opinion that where you start is the key (no pun intended). All very interesting stuff. The earlier switch to the strum is one I agree with and Ill keep playing with the arrangement. I definitely think I need to switch back to the argeggio for the end.

Mark, nice to "see" you. Thanks for your suggestion on the arrangement. That`s pretty much the way I`m heading.

willem

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi TONY,,, i don't know if you want to do the octave jump 'cos it will be there all the time in which key you do,,,i think maybe practicing that jump would help or see if you can make it ,,maybe try as and example on guitar hit the low C and then the high C and try to make both pitches,,i am serious,,but i don't know if want to do the octave jump i understand you skip it??,,not sure//

tovo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:46 pm

willem wrote:
Hi TONY,,, i don't know if you want to do the octave jump 'cos it will be there all the time in which key you do,,,i think maybe practicing that jump would help or see if you can make it ,,maybe try as and example on guitar hit the low C and then the high C and try to make both pitches,,i am serious,,but i don't know if want to do the octave jump i understand you skip it??,,not sure//
Hey Willem. Yeah I think I just need to play it more and keep experimenting. Its all good practice. As I grow more with the tune I think I will find the right combination. Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion.

tovo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:46 pm

willem wrote:
Hey Willem. Yeah I think I just need to play it more and keep experimenting. Its all good practice. As I grow more with the tune I think I will find the right combination. Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion.

skaladar

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:08 pm

I dunno Tony, I liked them both. You’ve gotten so many great suggestions on both versions I have nothing to really add other than my opinion. I feel adding the arpeggio picking along with the strumming as was suggested is a marked improvement although some additional variation as Scott mentioned would add even more to it. Much as I like your new guitar I think that switching to an acoustic was a good idea. This sounds better but that may just be due to different recording conditions. What I do miss in this version is the range of the vocals. I understand your thinking in making the key change but as Ness described far more eloquently than I can, I think you put yourself in a position where you can’t make that octave jump. I kept waiting for it but it never happened duh! I mean a song can be covered many different ways with the results being big differences in the way it feels. This is cleaner and does sound fine but IMHO it lacks the dynamics of the first and I not only really liked that I feel it is important to the song. Regardless of what I think I know that I am very impressed at your willingness to take suggestions (not my babbling) to make improvements. I also know that you are capable of making a tough song entertaining. You’ve done that already! – Twice!

♫ Ken ♫

tovo

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks Ken. Yes the two versions are certainly radically different and I see useful aspects in both. What I did find is that when I switched to the type of strumming pattern that was widely suggested, the tune certainly had a completely different feel for me. I find it a very emotional tune, and the picking seemed to fit where I wanted to take the song. However, I absolutely agree with you, it lost something overall. At any rate, I've gotten so much out of it, a 4 chord tune. That can't be bad! Oh by the way...you weren't babbling! Thanks mate.

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 pm

I knew you'd be back at this, Tony Really heartfelt version.

I'm still a fan of the first version's vocals though.

I'd just let it percolate a while and see where it settles for you.

Looking forward to wherever that leads!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic