Busking Marty Robbins

tovo

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm

I thought it was damn good cowboy. (why does that sound like I should be wearing assless chaps?) Anyway....back on track.

How long have you been working on that? As someone in there said. Instantly recognisable and you played it really well. I do hope you continue to develop it as it could be a real nice tune for you to have in your saddle bags.

What IS there to see out in the West Texas town of El Paso anyway??

lueders

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Scott- Thank You for your support! I sound like Bartles & James, don't I? But I guess one of 'em never spoke. hmm.
Whichever one said that...Scott, that was a real good suggest about the rhythm backing track. I might see if
I figure out how to that. Presently I don't know how? But thanks & great suggestion.

Ken- Thanks Ken...repetitive maracas, courtesy of reaper-courtesy of Daryl!

Mark- 90% HEH? I'll take that, thanks. Might be a little generous but I'll take it thanks. I'll keep a tequila chilled for
you....TEQUILA! NA NA NA NA NA! Thanks!

Chris- Thanks for stopping by Chris! Navigating the fretboard...sometimes I can. Thanks!

Willem- Thanks Willem, glad you enjoyed it...and I see no detail is too small to get past you. Spider-hands, huh? I
like the sound of that. (Some reason an mage of Edward Spider-hands popped into my head.)

Neil- Thanks for watching, the cowboy songs, (about a ga-zllion other things) and basically just being your
good-natured self...

EDIT: Ken, I'm sorry I forgot to thank you, Sir! Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for watching! glad you liked the maracas...

millponddave

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:29 pm

That was cool. I like the guitar.

Dave

dennisg

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Cori, when I saw that you were busking a Marty Robbins song, I really hoped it was El Paso, and you didn't let me down. Fantastic job on this oddly wonderful ballad -- one of the very few cowboy songs that crossed over to become a hit on rock radio stations.

I think your playing is terrific. Solid and daring, as always. The only suggestion I can offer has to do with the two bends you do. I think you want to bend into the final note, not out of it. Try starting the bend one fret lower, and that should take the bend into the note.

All I wanted to do as I was listening to it was sing it, but I haven't paid enough attention to the technology in order to figure out how to do that.

Anyway, great job again.

Craig

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Cori,
Que bueno! I liked that a lot. It looks like you have the main parts down pretty good. My Dad listened to Marty Robbins, so I grew up listening to this kind of music. It was recognizable immediately! I always enjoy watching your posts.

Tu Amigo de TG,
Craig

Lavallee

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Nice picking Cori, Have heard the song quite often without knowing who it was from. Nice playing with the backtrack.

Marc

jcrocket

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Cori, that's sounding pretty sweet! I especially liked that quick little fill right the beginning - maybe try to throw in another one like that later in the song?

And I'm loving the reso!

Jeff

lueders

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Dave-Thank You, Dave glad you like it, Sir! (The resonator seems to be a be a hit! I like it to.)

Tony- I'm sorry, you lost me at ass-less chaps... :ohmy: lol! yikes!...moving on...thank you for your kind words.
Glad you enjoyed it! And thanks alot, Tony! I've just been playing it this week. So if I keep working at it, it
really might be something to keep in the saddlebag with my: beef jerky, peacemaker casings, & my plug 'o
chaw! I will say I think I do pick up the meat & potatoes of these songs much quicker now, because of TG.
Don't get me wrong this has a ways to go to be perfected! doh! What's in El Paso these days...I dunno
drug cartels?

Dennis- Well, first I'm glad you got to hear a stab at the Marty-tune you wanted. :) I'm thankful for the
suggestion you made... yeah that pesky double bend. I'm so glad you brought that up! You're correct, &
quite observant as usual. (I like your suggestion & I'll sure try that.) What was a little bit funky
sounding, the way I tried to do it...was I cut it a bit short with the very first half-step bend down @ THE
7th fret. And then the second, full held monster bend up @ the tenth fret is more-or-less a pre-bend.
And those can sound pretty horrendous when they are not done properly. lol Actually though, I
screwed up the much easier bend of of the two. doh! Now having said all that, your way sounds much
better!!! And thank you for saying "daring"! I guess that means I'm pushing myself...and that is
definitely a good thing! Thanks Again, Sir!!! :) :) :)

Craig- Muchas, muchas Gracias, Senior Craig!! Well, Craig your dad and my dad too! We would be in the car going
somewhere my dad would spontaneously launch into El Paso, Laredo, or Big Iron. I knew 'em by heart,
even when I was very young because of this. Glad to hear you had a similar experience! I'm glad you think
it is on its way. I'll keep tinkering with it! And thanks for the Spanish lesson."Estoy agradecido!!!"

Marc- Thanks Marc, for the kind words. Glad you thought the background maracas weren't too annoying...and I
was basically in time. LOL! Thanks again, Marc!

Jeff- Thanks Jeff, glad you thought it is coming along! Do you mean the very first fill? If so that is interesting
because that is one I abbreviated to make it fit into context a bit!

wammer

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Hey Cori!

Sorry to be so late, but i rather really sit down for it, then watch it in a flash, comment and don't actually know what I'm talking about... :huh:

Buttuh....that sounded very cool of course! Well as most of your tunes do! ;)

I like the way you move your fingers and the way you arrange such a song. My suggestion would be to pay a little more attention to the timing, other than that, you just play really great, great to watch it again! :)

Cheers

Ness

lueders

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:57 am

Vanessa, No apologies necessary!! (don't be silly.) :laugh:

I know what you mean...about having ample time to watch folks vids...& not feeling rushed. Also, sometimes I simply like to have a little extra time to mull over what I am gonna say...no worries, @ no apologies necessary. I get it.

Heck, you didn't have to comment at all...And besides, I think I remember you going WAY out of your way to help not too awfully long ago. (So yeah, I'll go ahead and let the slight tardiness slide! Lol!)

I believe you are correct...overall it has the 3/4 pulse, more-or-less. But the timing is definitely questionable in a few places.During the chorus (at the bends section) and the passage immediately following that, are a tad bit off. (Those are the most noticeable places to me, but maybe there are more.)

So with this tune I 'll keep messing with the arrangement during the chorus...and see if I can nail down the overall timing a bit better...

RANDOM THOUGHT: I think I decided I like this song for a warm-up exercise!! :cheer:

P.S. Still dutifully watching your vids!!!! (Still can't believe you did all that!) The singing is getting a little bit better...little bit by little bit thanks to you!!!! ;) :laugh: :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic