Busking Plain White T's

michelew

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 am

Tom,

What a cute song! And your playing and singing were great.

Well chalk another song/band up that I haven't heard (rock). They sound a bit like 'They Might Be Giants'.

Thanks for the intro.

...'Oh, it's what you do to me...hmm, hmm, hmm hmmm , hmm ,hmmm. (attempt at type singing).

It's still going in my head.

Cute!

M.

daryl

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 am

Very nicely done. Looking forward to more videos from you.

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 am

"Hey There Tom"

Welcome back-- your guitar missed you- and so did we!

You called this an easy one- might be simple to pick- but sure not simple to sing. Kudos for doing it with vocals.

This would have been a good one for us to try in New York as well.

BTW- I looked at your post count.. 89??
A man of few words- but great talent.

Cheers!

dekotaj

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 am

TOM BRAVO!!!

Really enjoyed your playing and singing.The whole tune was fantastic.Don't no the plain white T's,But have enjoyed other do there songs.Nice to have you back.

Kevin

snipe

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

Tom,

Well played and sung!

Mike

dennisg

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Hey, Tom, really nice job with this. Your playing was smooth and the tempo was steady. I didn't know the song until I saw Tony's post, but I'm hearing it everywhere.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Just excellent Tom! Fabulous singing and such steady playing... really enjoyed this post... such a great performance!
Well done.

MarkM

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Tom,

Great to see you again!! It's been awhile. I thought you did a great job on this song and it is so much harder to sing and play this song. You more than pulled it off. I hear ya on the fingers getting soft. My move did that to me as well. One good finger killing session will bring it right back though. Keep up the singing and playing as I enjoy these songs from you quite a bit. Thanks for sharing and I hope your back is feeling better.

MarkM

lueders

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Nice job!! Nice vocals and nice playing! I sincerely like your better than the original...

tvarga

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Scott - Well, it's been about a week and my fingers aren't hurting so badly any more. So, I'm hoping in another week or two I'll have most of my old calluses back. my struggling with the high notes is putting it mildly. Now that I've had a chance to listen to what I uploaded a day later, I'm cringing ... I think I was a bit too much of a stretch even with the down-tuning. :)

Marc - You definitely hit the nail on the head with what I had the most difficulty. There are some very long sections that the singer, Tom Higgenson doesn't take a breath. If you miss it, you're toast. Also the phrasing or emphasis of the words in each section is slightly different. It took a lot of play & sing throughs to sort-of get it right.

Rick - Now I'm blushing.

Bob - Thanks! Let's get together to jam soon!

tovo - Thanks. Next time I'm certainly going to check on the site first to see if anybody else has played a song before going it alone.

Jay - Thanks again. I'd love to get together and jam with you too. We live only 40 minutes apart!

Craig - Hmmm singing ... if you call it that. :) Yes, I certainly did try to add the complexity of singing while rebuilding my calluses. It really is a whole new level of complexity. The guitar playing had to be completely automatic because it took 90+% of my attention and focus to sing the right words on key...

Willem - Definitely give playing the song a try. It's a pretty one. I'm always jealous of people who have a wide vocal range or at least can hit notes a heck of lot higher than I can. Now, if you're looking for lows ... that I can hit! :)

Ness - Thanks, I am! Yup, you could say that I'm not all that comfortable with singing (in public) and yes, 'Just Breathe' was my first recording of me singing. I do have Al to thank for that. I never would've dared to do that alone. :) I did start working on Muriel's lesson on Vincent. I guess it would be cool to learn both the instrumental version and then sing along with Neil's version like your most excellent rendition. Hmmm.

Michele - I'm glad to have introduced you to a new band. Actually, I'm surprised how many people haven't heard this song before.

Daryl - Thanks. The tough choice is what to work on next. :)

Al - Ahh, great memories of our NY gig. I can't wait for the next one! I guess it's a bit embarrassing that I don't say all that much on the site. Believe me that doesn't mean that I don't pay a lot of attention though!! So, my next goal is to get to triple digits. :)

Kevin - Thanks a lot. That means a lot.

Mike - Thanks man.

Dennis - Thanks for the comment. I don't know about the tempo. I think I still have a tendency to speed up as the song goes along ... especially when I'm stressed by the camera.

Chris - That means a lot coming from you. However, I still have a lot to go to hit your singing talent.

Mark - Hey, good to hear from you. Hope you're settling into your new home. Bit warm down there? :) Happily, I think my neck problems are behind me. Although I'm now trying very hard to never slouch, always stand up straight etc, etc.

lueders - Are you sure you've heard the original? :) From my perspective, I'm nowhere near his league in singing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic