Busking Plain White T's

tvarga

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Hey There Delilah

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I've been away on vacation for a few weeks so it's been more than a month since I've had any time to play the guitar.
I'm shocked how soft my fingers have gotten in that time. The strings feel like knives. I've forgotten how painful it is to be a beginner at guitar. :)

So, I decided to warm my fingers up on an easier song. I saw the the Plain White T's play a few months back and when I heard the lead singer plain 'Hey There Delilah', I knew that I'd definitely want to learn this song some day.

Unfortunately, I just can't sing as high as him. I tried capo-ing way up high but that sounds terrible. So, I decided to tune the guitar down a whole note. I can still barely hit the high notes, but at least I have a chance.

I just found that Neil has a short lesson on this song, but it's not listed on the master menu because it's one of his freebie lessons. Since I didn't use it, I'm not going to load this song up for review and instead put it in the busking thread.

-Tom

dsmarion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:27 pm

tvarga wrote:
Hey There Delilah

I've been away on vacation for a few weeks so it's been more than a month since I've had any time to play the guitar.
I'm shocked how soft my fingers have gotten in that time. The strings feel like knives. I've forgotten how painful it is to be a beginner at guitar. :)

-Tom
Hey Tom,

I remember vividly what that is like since I had to start redeveloping finger toughness and strength after a long layoff. And now I get blisters on the picking hand too - never had that issue before lol. Nice job here, sounded good. I don't know anything about this song but you played it well. Tuned down a whole step it is closer to your range but still I can tell it's a bit of a vocal struggle. All in all a nice job after not touching your guitar for a while. Keep it up!

Scott

Lavallee

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Great work Tom and welcome back . Great idea to tune your guitar down, I am sure others will use the idea.A challenging song to sing with the long phrases, need to breathe properly and you are doing it fine.

Marc

RicksPick

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:07 pm

O MAN :ohmy:

Bravo :ohmy:

WOW :ohmy:

Stunned :ohmy:

BobR

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Tom,

I think you pulled that off rather well. Very enjoyable to listen to.

Great job.

Good to see you back playing. :woohoo:

Hope your fingers are OK. :laugh:
Bob

tovo

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Hey Tom. Nice job. I took this on a while back and Neil reviewed it...you might find some value in the review, especially given I did nowhere near as good a job so Neil had plenty to talk about. I can certainly attest to the difficulty of the tune to sing, I failed badly on it. You did much better. Nice work.

jayswett

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Great song, and well done. As it happens, I took a look at this song just recenlty, so i was pleased to see you play the Bridge, which is not included in the free lesson.

Craig

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:05 am

Hey Tom,
Good to see you back posting. I thought you did a good job on this song. I took a stab at this one awhile back. It seems easy on the surface but its very long and when you add the singing....not so easy! Well done!
Craig

willem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 am

Hi Tom,,you earn a great WOW really and what a great idea to tune the guitar down,its my wife favos song so i try your idea again,,

When you know the high part of the singin is coming don't let it suprise you, think a bit a head and know its coming ,,,there are people who tryed to learn me a trick and that was thinkin the other way around on high notes ,see it has making you litller or a bend down in the knees and be sure you have on that point enough breath left or a knew take on the breath(before),,,that said i must work on this too...

You really inspired me to go back on this tune..thanks

Willem

sws626

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:37 am

Hi Tom,

Great to see you back alive and kicking! :)

I watched this just a minute before heading to bed and it made me smile all the way through. I know you're kinda shy about singing, and I think your 'Just Breathe' with Al was your first singing-video, isn't that right? :dry:

So because of that and since I know the song very well and love to play it myself, I was very curious how you would do on the singing. But gosh man, you did very well and made it through all those high notes. Indeed, when they come you need to stretch, wich you did succesfully! 'the world will never ever be the same', very good example of that you can really do it, just bélt it out!

Very well done Tom, besides higher level songs (is Muriels 'Vincent' still on your list?) I'd love to see you do this more, you can you know! ;)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic