Busking Mark - updated with a new video

Music Junkie

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Really really enjoyed your latest song, loved the melody going on in there, and the consistent tempo and bassnotes along with that!

If it's your goal to be able to write your own music, then you're soooooo well on your way, that was just really nice to listen to, which I indeed have a few times! :)

cheers

Ness

willem

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:27 pm

I listen this now a 100 times,,well a bit less but everytime I want to dance...really liked it Mark...keep your inspirings coming..

Willem

mark

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:07 am

.what do you know about getting old? :)
It's all relative :laugh:

I'm 48 next month so I'm getting there

mark

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:14 am

MarkM wrote:
Mark,

Very cool song for sure. I have visions of sitting on a front porch as summer gives way to fall feeling some of that cool autumn evening air. I really enjoyed this. I'd be interested in how you go about the construction of your song writing. What is the process that you find yourself going through when ideas come to mind.

MarkM
Hi Mark
The initial idea came about by trying to make up some variations on a tune that I already knew.
The variation became the first part of the song.
Its when I come to put the ideas together and work out the structure to the song that I tend to run into trouble.
For instance the first section is 3 and a half bars of 4/4. Makes no musical sense but feels right to me that way.

I spent a lot of time thinking I couldn't write my own music but all you have to do is use what you already know and change it around a bit and see what you come up with.

dekotaj

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:26 am

Bravo!!! Mark

What a real talent Sir.Wishing you the very best.

Kevin

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm green with envy, Mark. This is a great reason for me (and others I'm sure) to get off our butts and learn some theory. I've said on more than one occasion that I can play some pretty complicated stuff- but it's mostly muscle memory. I don't feel I can CREATE something new yet. Need the fundamentals in place before you can do that. And I don't mean strumming a few chords in a new pattern.. really CREATE something, like you've done here with both this post and your earlier one. Didn't mean to go on- but was just talking to someone about this the other day.

Anyways congratulations!!

mbleier

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Mark,
I'm on the band wagon with everyont else. That was great. Instramentals while being cool can lose my attention sometimes but I listened to that through twice in a row because I just found the tune to be very chill and interesting. Both of your efforts are very solid and you should definitely be proud. I was thinking about your comment about only having three and a half bars which wasn't "right" but sounded good to you and it reminded me of Neil talking about a Zeppelin tune where Jimmy Page and John Bonham are playing differnt time signatures to creat the effect they wanted. Rules are for squares and you can definitely think outside of the box. Anyways just my two cents.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic