Busking Mark - updated with a new video

mark

Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm

The writing is on the wall

I was expecting the busking uploader to create a new thread but of course it put my new video on the end of this thread.

I've copied it in here to make it easier

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

mcfingers

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Congratulations Mark, an original composition. Well played and very catchy. I enjoyed your performance.
Nicely done,
Steve

lueders

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:19 pm

OOOHH!! MY GOOOOODNESS! I am in AWE of that!! :ohmy: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

That was wonderful! I want a copy!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!
SERIOUSLY, where do I sign up to purchase the CD?

Reminds me of Donovan & a little Nick Drake thrown in for good measure...yet all you!
This was remarkable!!!

I love all the little devices you threw in there: the moving baseline, the slides, the bends, the voice leading and all the other subtle nuances that make this such a unique piece. Great lyrics and nice vocals too!! Fabulous!!!

I hope there is more to come like this masterpiece!!!

Cori

MarkM

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Mark,

Got to throw a "Dude!!!" at ya for that one. Very nice!! Loved it. Nice bass runs in there and that slide/bend up the neck was particularly tasty. If I can thnk clearly after seeing this I believe this was your first time singing. Well I'll be...... Not only can you play fantastically but you have a very nice voice as well. You can't hide it now I'm afraid. Well done Mark. I'm sure I'll be watching this video many more times. How long have you been working on this? Both the music and the lyrics?

MarkM

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Mark:

Very nice piece. I always enjoy your clips, as your picking and hand placement are solid and enviable. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Is it in standard tuning?
2. How did you come up with this? Lyrics first? Melody first? Chord Progression first?

I am always asking people that, because it is different for everyone. Which ever it was, the final product is very pleasing to the ear and one that you should be very proud of.

I have come to expect solid performances of you whenever you post and you have not let me down yet...... :)

Thanks for taking the time to share an original with us here at TG!

MJ

willem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Congrats on finishing your song it sounds great...i like all the playing in it,,,was it that banner that gives you the inspiration from the titlle '' the writing on the wall'' and a line'' keep rolling on'' 'cos if so then we must learn this all and make one big collaboration ..

can you put up the lyrics??? please Mark..thanks you can be proud...

mark

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Steve - thank for watching and your encouragement

Cori - I'm truely amazed by your reaction and don't really know how to reply to it apart from to thank you

MarkM - Yes definately my first vocal. It's members like you giving it a go that encouraged me to try and seek out songs that I could try and sing.
I started this probably about a month ago. Took about a week of tweaking until it is what it i now.
Still only has about 10 word to it, so still some work to do there.

MJ - it's a strange tunning. The capo is on the 2nd fret but only covers the first 5 strings (leaving the E string open). It's very much like dropped D.
The song came about because I was trying to find songs I could sing along to. I found I could sing along to a Steve Earle song called Ellis Unit number 1.
I quickly gave up on learning the song (too many lyrics to learn) but was mucking around with the tunning and came up with the picking pattern.
The lyrics (what there are of them) came from humming along.
The instrumental bits came after that.

Willem - I can see why you might think it's about the banner, but it' actually about getting old (probably a subject dear to many of us)

skaladar

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:22 pm

Hey Mark, I have to say I am really liking this a lot. I was a little confused when I read the topic title. I thought okay, I know mark but who’s this Mark that he is busking? Well maybe not really but I was hoping for it to be something original, especially from you… and it is. How delightful! Then to top it off, I was so pleasantly surprised when you started to sing. I didn’t see that coming. I guess I’m more used to your technical perfection on very intricate instrumental pieces. That being said I think it’s indeed very catchy and so very original. I’m glad you filled in a little of the back story to it. That’s always interesting. I was curious about the tuning as well, particularly when I saw you fretting the 6th string at the capo. I hope you continue to develop this, not that it needs it but I’d love to see what you come up with. Great playing, great singing and great writing. I don’t get to say that too often but I’m happy to do so.

♫ Ken ♫

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:33 pm

mark wrote:
MJ - it's a strange tunning. The capo is on the 2nd fret but only covers the first 5 strings (leaving the E string open). It's very much like dropped D.
The song came about because I was trying to find songs I could sing along to. I found I could sing along to a Steve Earle song called Ellis Unit number 1.
I quickly gave up on learning the song (too many lyrics to learn) but was mucking around with the tunning and came up with the picking pattern.
The lyrics (what there are of them) came from humming along.
The instrumental bits came after that.
Mark:

I actually use that tuning to play Rocky Mountain High when feeling lazy..... ;)

Thanks for the input on the rest, I am always interested to see how the creativeness works for others. Unfortunately, creativeness is not much in my blood at this point in my guitar playing world. I am hoping to change that bit by bit though.... :)

Again, great work!

MJ

coomba

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:49 pm

G'day Mark

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your song, it must be very satisfying to be able to write and perform your own music.
Great stuff!

Cheers Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic