Busking Stephen Stills

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:57 am

Hey all!

It’s a grey and rainy day over here in the Netherlands, I’ve just finished work and am about to have three weeks off (some weather….in the middle of summer…pffffffffff :S :( :( ….).

So picked up a guitar, the one wich is tuned in DADDAD+, played this song and thought I might as well record it ( I wanted to quite some time ago already). What can I say?! I obviously can’t resist to share it with you. ;)

And as many of you already know, I’m a big CSN&Y-fan and am crazy about the Four Way Street-album in particular, so this version is of course based on that one. Unfortunately can’t sing it in harmonies all by myself, but I hope you’ll enjoy it anyway. Of course I’ve watched the lesson when it came out, a couple of months ago, but I’m not sure if I’m doing everything ‘right’ in there, since it’s been a while.

Also my guitar sounds really ‘bassy’ :unsure:, wich is funny, I mean the body is the smallest of all my steelstrings, so you might wanna turn down your bass-level a bit!

I have one memory in particular with this song:

I was like 15 years old or so, listened to the album in those days like a gazillion times. I was in class, just finished a test and waiting for the class to end. In the meanwhile I was pretty bored and for no particular reason I wrote down this line in big letters on the back of my test:

’IF YOU CAN’T BE WITH THE ONE YOU LOVE, LOVE THE ONE YOU’RE WITH!’ (CSN&Y)

Some time later I got the test back and my teacher had written right behind my line:

‘YOU CAN’T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU, BUT IF YOU TRY SOME TIME, YOU JUST MIGHT FIND TO GET WHAT YOU NEED!’ (Rolling Stones)

I thought that was sooooooooo cool, haha :laugh: :P ! Actually funny enough, I didn’t know the song, so went to his desk where he started singing it. Oh well, there you have it, a fun memory to me! :cheer:

Alright enough ramblings, I just hope you’ll enjoy this, since I sure like playing it!

Cheers

Ness

dennisg

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am

Wow, Ness, that was an absolutely rollicking good time! Perfect strumming, perfect vocals. I actually started laughing halfway through the song because what I was hearing made me so happy.

You might not have been able to sing harmonies on this, but I did. We sounded great together, and it made me wish I was sitting in your apartment in the Netherlands having a music day with you.

BobR

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:14 am

Vanessa,

If it’s a grey and rainy day over there in the Netherlands, you just made the sun come out. That was fabulous. I loved it.

Thanks for brightining up the day

Bob

dekotaj

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 am

Ness.

Like always Fantastic!!! The song was rocking,you were rocking and I was rocking to it.You no I'm a huge FAN of your playing.But also what a great smile you have and I'm sure a wonderful person to have as a friend.Your presents is so warming.Thanks for sharing you brilliant talent with us all.And of course BRAVO!!!!!

By the way-Some time later I got the test back and my teacher had written right behind my line:

‘YOU CAN’T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU, BUT IF YOU TRY SOMETIME, YOU JUST MIGHT FIND TO GET WHAT YOU NEED!’ (Rolling Stones)

I sure hope she was not talking about your score on your test.LOL

Kevin

dtaylor

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:27 am

Nice work Ness, enjoyed it very much.
Dean

skaladar

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:49 am

That was outstanding Ness. Boy do you know how to brighten a grey and rainy day! Lots of energy there and you clearly enjoyed playing and singing that. I think I’ve run out of adjectives to describe how impressive your guitar playing and vocals are … I guess all I can add is that you are rock solidly always super entertaining. Thanks for being you! And thanks for sharing with us!

♫ Ken ♫

Craig

Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Vanessa,
Wow...again! Thanks for sharing your videos, they are always inspiring.
Craig

tovo

Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 pm

What can be said? You are a brilliant guitarist and vocalist Ness. Always a treat to see you perform.

abiliog

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Ness,
You did it again.
I'm glad it's a grey and rainy day in the Netherlands. You stay at home and share a new video :) so let it rain :laugh: ,
Abilio

daryl

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Exceptional! Perhaps your best song (to date). Loved it. I'm looking forward to your 3 week vacation and ALL THE GREAT VIDEOS you'll be uploading!!!!!

Dennis, download Vanessa's video (lots of ways to do that), open the downloaded video in your video editor and either sing the harmonies in the "narrator/audio track" or record a video of you singing the harmonies while you playback Vanessa's video. Then import your new video into your video editor (that has Vanessa's video already imported). AVS works great for this kind of stuff. I'd love to see/hear a duet of you and Vanessa.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic