Busking Jesse Winchester

jimcjimc

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:25 pm

I heard this song - Third Rate Romance - on an old Jesse Winchester album. But, it was actually written by Russell Smith of the Amazing Rhythm Aces and also done by Sammy Kershaw & others.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi jIm, not familair with the song but maybe you can put up the original or a link,, i saw you work hard up the neck too but the sound from the vid was not so good and i had the idea you play that chords very hard,,maybe not and was it just the sound from your vid..maybe try to figure out some recording stuff or something with the mike pointing more to the guitar...

jimcjimc

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Willem,

Sorry about the sound quality. It sounded a bit better on my PC, but the audio seemed worse after uploading to youtube. I will need to figure out how to record it better. I also was using a heavier pick than usual. Anyway, here is a version from youtube without guitar by Tom Jones :)

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:44 pm

You have a definite Dylan style there Jim! Not familiar with that song but it seems like you are making progress.
You can improve the sound quality by ding a short test run and just checking that its not too loud and overloading your recording device ... the guitar would have come out well with volume of the pick-up on your recording device taken down about 20%. The voice level sounded about right.
Thanks for posting and keep it going!

daryl

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:14 pm

You're definitely progressing.
Your strumming is getting smoother.
I have to ask why are you going to the barred A chord on the 5th fret when it would be easier and more in keeping with this song if you played the A in the 1st position? If you are using this song to work on transitioning to a barred chord that's good. But to make your strumming smoother and cleaner and to get the timing right see how the 1st position A works for you. (Just a suggestion.)

jimcjimc

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:27 pm

Chris,
Thanks for the comments. The guitar is my new Taylor GS Mini with the ES-Go pickup, which I am not using. I just ordered a cable for it, so next time I will try to separate the guitar from the singing.

Daryl,

The chords I have for this song are mostly E & B7. When I was going up the neck, I was going to the 4th fret to play a G#7 & and C#m before returning to an open A and then E again.

Jim

daryl

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:45 pm

My mistake. I guess my eyes are going bad. Watching the video again, it's obvious your on the 4th fret (and not the 5th). Sorry.

Never the less, a good exercise for you would be to go from E to G#m and back again (one strum each). E G#7 E G#7 E G#7 etc. Do it while watching TV. Do it without a guitar. Eventually, it will become 2nd nature to you. Then work on G#7 to C#m and back again. ......

dekotaj

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey Jim.

That's funny,I just heard this song on the way to work today.Bravo Sir!!

Kevin

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Hey there Jim,

Nice to see another video from you. I knew that was a GS Mini as soon as I saw it.
Nice choice!

As others have mentioned- I'd lighten up a bit on the strumming.

Thanks for sharing.

Lavallee

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Good job Jim, I noticed that you are using a pick now instead of your index for strumming. Good work

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic