Collaboration of Blackbird

jayswett

Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:42 am

Tony,
how many people are on board with this, and how many are you looking for?
Jay

dennisg

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:07 am

Nice job, Tony. It's improved considerably from the last time I heard you play it. One question and one observation:

In your Star Wars title sequence, you mention that there is some skepticism about this project, which is why you posted the video. Which bit of skepticism does this video address and how did it address it?

BobR

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:12 am

Hi Tony,

That was pretty cool. As I said I am interested and have practiced a bit, but not there yet. What's your timeline for this?

Bob

MarkM

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:18 am

Too cool Tony. Loved the video. You play that song extrememly well these days and of course the Taylor is sounding very sweet.

MarkM

abiliog

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:29 am

Looks gool Tony, great job.
Abilio

tovo

Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for comments. Daryl I used iMovie in Mac. If I knew the program better I could have gotten smoother transitions I think.

No hard timeline Bob. As the videos come in I'll gradually build the video and post it when it's done.

Jay...good question. There's about 17 on board right now...but I can accommodate all. I'll make a 10 minute blackbird if I need to.

Dennis the video was just to show how easy it is to do. A couple of people who responded to the thread wondered how it would work so I showed them. That's all. Picture is worth a thousand words so they say.

michelew

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Tony,

This is better than I expected it to be.

I suspect, however, that it will be tricky to make it this smooth and consistent (including most importantly the timing of course) when you've got many people and many guitars and different styles of playing.

The thing that hooked it all together the previous times was that a rhythm track was put down first and even then it was obviously a little tricky for everyone to record there bits against that track.

I'll stick my hand up too if you like. I need to refresh this song. But, I do have concerns also that this will be hard to pull off well with this song. Have you got any good singing volunteers?

Regardless, it's great that you're thinking about interesting projects for the community participation.

thanks

Shel

tovo

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey Shel. Yes that's going to be the problem, timing. Willem has provided a guiding track that could be used, or we could also pick an agreed tempo. Anyone have a suggested tempo?

Not sure we could sing this one. In order to accommodate all comers I can make the guitar track as long as necessary, but could be very difficult to sing over. Let's get the guitar track down then perhaps one of the good singers we have can take a shot at it.

michelew

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I was thinking the latter regarding singing.

I think you'll need an actual timing track rather than just picking a tempo.

M.

tombo1230

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:27 am

Hi Tony. another great idea. I think this is a great way for anyone, myself included, to post a video (or part in this case) for the first time. A bit like doing Karaoke, but with your pals beside you. :)

Ok. just my twopence worth on shooting and editing the video. (This is what I do for a living, well the editing part). When I edit music videos I try to get the camera people/Director to get the group to play to their own cd as it is a good anchor right or wrong for the timing as I'm sure we all know. The group mimes to their own cd or even play along in time if they are good enough. I am not suggesting people mime but I am suggesting everyone plays along with Willems track or a fixed tempo as has alredy been suggested. The advantage of playing to a track is that like the cd track I mentioned before, whilst editing you can use this track as a guide and while keeping the track playing on other audio tracks you can cut in the various sections you want to cut in. If you have all tracks playing you can slide things around to keep sync. This is what the pro's do. When you have your edit finished you should have two complete tracks running side by side in sync. Delete the guide trk and you should have a clean track of TG members playing to the correct tempo in time.

Hope I haven't made this too confusing as I am writing this in a hurry as I am on my way out for half an hour.

I can play Blackbird so would also like to be included please?

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic