Busking Beatles!

8calm8

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:35 pm

about a 100 yesterdays of practice

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Nice. Do it again so we can see your hands (please).

tovo

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey G. Yes it would be good to be able to see both hands. (Your head as well!)

Sounded nice to me, I thought it could be a bit slower. It's an emotional tune.

buddy

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Well done and you have this pretty far along. What guitar are you playing in this vid ? It has a nice tone to it.

Bud

dsmarion

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Ok yeah I got heat for not owning a right hand on my first posts - you get the same for having no left hand. Owning a head is usually optional.

Ok seriously, that has a nice sound and you have a good start to a great song. And I don't really mind the quick pace so much but Tony is probably right about maybe trying it a little slower.

But I do have some (hopefully helpful is the way this is meant to sound) criticism. The main problem I hear is there is a wrong chord or two in it. The wrong ones my ear hears is contained in the second half of the third line in the verses into the beginning of the fourth line. I realize you are trying to play the accompanyment along with a melody line - but try singing with it and you'll see what I mean. (try the lines "Now it looks as though they're here to stay - Oh I believe in yesterday" - the bolded words are where the suspect chords are).

Ok, at the risk of sounding really mean but not at all meaning to be -- rather just my personal thoughts about playing this one live. This is a very nice song to enjoy playing for yourself and for close friends at the campfire (that includes us here at TG of course too) but if you ever decide to perform this one on stage in front of a live audience (open mic night, whatever) it is also the type of song which needs to be performed absolutely perfectly to be a hit because it is so well known by virtually everyone and they all have certain expectations when they hear it. And they are not very forgiving with this one in my experience. It is one of those songs that works really well live only if it is done extremely close to exactly as it was written and basically sounds just like the original. This is one of the main reasons I have avoided the temptation of ever attempting to play this one in public. That of course is just my personal opinion and experience seeing some bad performances of it but I believe a lot of listeners feel that way about this one, it's such an iconic song. If it is done extremely well it will absolutely bring the house down -- if not though, yikes! Ok no pressure LOL!

Scott

dekotaj

Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Hey 8,

Once again sounds good to me.Yes would like to see the performer and all the moving parts.LOL

Bravo!!!Sir.Keep them coming.

Kevin

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Ditto most of the above 8.... doing a nice job and we'd love to see mor of how you do what you do! Great to see you posting!

cosmicmechanic

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:39 pm

G, I haven't tried this one yet and can only concur with what has been said so far ... have you tried Neil's "play along" segment for the lesson ?

Thanks for the peek, glad you posted.

Pierre

8calm8

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey guys, Daryl, Tovo, Buddy, Scott, Kevin, Neverfoundthetime Pierre. Thankyou for your posts much appreciated.

Sorry about the video, I`ll take more care to include both hands and a head next time.

took a look at Neils lesson on "yesterday", something I should have done before posting, and YEP I can see the differences, Chords, measures, melody etc This is a version I was shown years ago and I`ve been playing it wrong all these years and because i never sing it I never noticed how far out this arrangement is. Thanks for the pointers and apologies to John,Paul George and Ringo.

Bud my guitar is an Ovation ultra series that I bought about 25 years ago on the strength of its looks rather than on it`s playability., it`s too big for me and the round back means it`s always sliding away from my body and the neck radius is too narrow for my fat fingers.

Love and peace

G

millponddave

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Nice job on this. I enjoyed it.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic