Busking for a Wedding

webtvdan

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:51 pm

As I mentioned in my Busking Video of “And I Love Her” two weeks ago, I’m playing for a friend’s daughter wedding next week.

I created two additional videos for the Bride to select her songs. She has chosen Bridal March, A Time for Us, and Isn’t She lovely.

Took pieces of several arrangements to create the solo of The Bridal March. I left out the traditional intro - didn’t want to sound like a church organ. I practiced the tune much quicker – but didn’t like it when recorded. Think it sounds better if the notes are allowed to ring at a slower pace.

A Time for Us is my original arrangement. A very simple – all first position – combination of the melody and chords.

I’ll be playing my classical guitar for the wedding and not my sunburst Tayor.

Open to suggestions that you think would improve either song.

Dan

dekotaj

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Hey Dan

Sound like a lot of fun.Have a great time!And the songs sound great,I'm sure they will love them!

Kevin

cosmicmechanic

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:47 am

Dan, you play "A Time for Us" with sensitivity ... just perfect.

I would think that you are probably right about the speed issue on "The Bridal March", also very nice.

Marriages with simple classical or acoustical guitar music are so cool. These people are lucky to have you there.

I'm off to see "And I love her", had missed it.

Pierre

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:17 am

Dan,

I can't imagine a more stressful thing to play at- but you're a very talented guitarist, so you'll nail it.
I enjoyed both pieces- but I'm surprised at how much up and down the neck the wedding march is. Seems like a tough one to land correctly.

I also think it's a good call to go with your classical guitar as well.

Good luck

dsmarion

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Dan,

Very nice indeed! Doing three pieces is about right - plenty of time between them to prepare yourself too probably. These both sound great. The wedding march played on a classical is, well, classical! Nice choice! Maybe you can even get in a frame or two on video during the ceremony? I assume there will be a videographer.

Scott

willem

Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:19 pm

I am sure you gonna add some beautiful music on that wedding..and a great choice to use your classical guitar its a pretty one too.

jayswett

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Both sounded great. I love the sound of that classical guitar. I've been thinking about getting one. Good luck with your performances.

webtvdan

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks guys for the compliments of the sound of my classical guitar.

I’ve experimented the last three years with several brands and gauges on my acoustic Taylor.

Haven’t touched my classical and knew the strings were OLD.

Researched classical strings and ordered La Bella Classical Guitar Studio 413P Strings. Like the sound and high tension – won’t be doing any further experimenting on Classical strings.

Looking forward to returning to my Taylor in two weeks and my next finger picking solo project “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

If the wedding is videotaped – I’ll post a “Few Frames” when I return.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:37 am

Nice going Dan... I especially liked A Time for Love.

Make sure you get those strings on at least 3 days before the event... nylon strings do a lot of slipping and stretching and where as my Tak 12 string is instantly in tune with new strings... the nylon takes a few days to settle and I have to re-tune it many times. But I'm sure you are well aware of that.

webtvdan

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 am

I had forgotten how long it takes for Nylon strings to settle in. The La Bella strings have only been on the guitar two weeks – won’t be changing them again before the wedding next week. Purchased a second set to have as an emergency backup.

I’ve always “lased” the string ends after the knots at the bridge which seems to shorten the initial slipping.

Change the strings on my acoustic every three weeks – don’t remember how often I changed my classical strings when I played it exclusively many years ago – they should still sound great next week.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic