Busking for a Wedding

tovo

Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Dan great work and good luck with the performance. As others have said, you have the ability to really nail it and I`m sure you will.

With Time for Us...I had a thought that some vibrato used sparingly might add to the drama a little. Feel free to ignore that of course!

All the best.

webtvdan

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Tony

I asked for suggestions – Thanks.

Is there a particular spot (or two) in the song you think a tremolo would add some drama?

I’ve looked at some of your recent videos – Wow you’ve improved!

tovo

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:11 am

webtvdan wrote:
Hi Tony

I asked for suggestions – Thanks.

Is there a particular spot (or two) in the song you think a tremolo would add some drama?

I’ve looked at some of your recent videos – Wow you’ve improved!
Dan. I went back through and it was harder than I thought to be precise about where you could add. I thought around 20-21 sec, 28 and around 45-48. I don't know a hell of a lot about tremolo, but when I though what suggestion could I offer, that's what I thought of. It would draw the piece out...and in my mind add some "drama" for want of a better word.

Thanks for the compliment also.

Lavallee

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:40 am

Hi Dan, all the songs sound perfect, good tempo on all the songs which is where you can have your dramatic effect. You will be a hit.

Marc

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:31 am

Dan:

Loved the clips you put up. That classical guitar sounds sweet with the tunes you chose. I can't imagine playing for a wedding. Heck, I can't even play for my dog in the living room.... :woohoo:

Like everyone else has mentioned, you are a solid player and will do a great job. Can you sneak a recorder in to the wedding and post a clip of the live performance..... :)

Good luck and can't wait to hear how it went.

MJ

webtvdan

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 pm

[video][/video]

I DID IT!

Pleased with my wedding performance.

To recap my prior posts - the bride asked me to play “The Wedding March”, “A Time for Us”, and “Isn’t She Lovely” for the ceremony.

Had two additional solos prepared for backup – “And I Love Her” (which I think is prettier than “Isn’t She Lovely” – the bride didn’t agree) and Green Day’s “Wake Me Up When September Ends”. Pretty melody – depressing lyrics – not played for the bride’s evaluation.

Played a couple of songs prior to the wedding while the beach was prepared for the ceremony. The setup crew actually stopped for “September Ends” and asked if the song was by Green Day with a “That’s Cool”. The wedding planner then approached me and said she could easily book me for weddings. Asked if I was a professional – told her this was my first wedding and I didn’t live in Maui.

Then……..the flowers were late. I was asked to play with guests seated while waiting for the flowers and bride’s bouquet to be delivered. Lesson learned – should have had a dozen songs prepared and not just five (and couldn’t play The Wedding March prior).

Hadn’t planned on playing “Romance” aka “Romanza”. I learned the “Romance” version by Frederick Noad as a kid. A couple seated behind my wife commented that I sounded like a recording. Played a couple of songs several times – nobody seemed to notice.

But by far the most positive comments were received for Green Day’s “September Ends”. Probably because not anticipated for a wedding (and a pretty melody).

Need to play in public more often so I won’t get so nervous prior to performing – and I was nervous.

Then I had fun ……. competing with the Hawaiian Ceremonial Pu Shell Horn
B)

The wedding was not videotaped – this short clip was filmed with a digital camera.

daryl

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Congratulations! Looks and sounds like it all went well!

tovo

Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey great stuff Dan! You really had it together and didn't look at all nervous. I'm sure you could have done without the 3 blasts from what I assume was a passing sea vessel, but you worked through it just great. Congratulations on your performance and adding to someone's very special day. Bravo.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Seems you had a good time and your did not practice for nothing. When horn came in you seemed to take it philosophically , smiled and kept playing. Very professional. Getting compliments from the crowd is always a good sign.

Marc

dekotaj

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Bravo,Dan!!!

Givem heck.Shell horn or not.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic