Suzi and Dennis collaborate on "Wild Horses" ... with one problem.

jayswett

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:43 pm

Great pic, and sounds like a wonderful couple of days. I'm glad you shared it with us. I am again reminded how great it would be to have a TG Guitar Camp.

thereshopeyet

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks

Lavallee

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:45 pm

It is great that you guys could meet and obviously had some good time

Marc

suziko

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am

I'm really glad Dennis found this photo (which Jamie took and which we both forgot about). The two of us lamented, after the trip, that we'd somehow forgotten to take any pictures of the two of us together while I was out there. We kept talking about it (and believe me, I still regret that I didn't get a picture of the two of us wearing hair nets at Theo's Chocolates!), but somehow it kept slipping our minds. We spent a few hours trying to get Wild Horses to a stage we were both happy with. We had a good plan (one playing in open G, one in standard, alternating singing on the verses, singing the chorus together) but we kept messing it up. I think, given one more day, or even another extra hour, we could have put together something really sweet. But we both felt unhappy with what we had and didn't want to post something that was not the kind of quality we shoot for. In retrospect, I sort of wish we'd lowered our standards. Even a video of something not that great would have been better than nothing. But live and learn, I suppose.

And hopefully it won't be my last visit to Seattle. For any of you who have been there, you know how beautiful the scenery is, and I was lucky to have several cloud-free/rain-free days, with temperatures in the mid-70sF. Dennis and Jamie were the ultimate hosts. Jamie made a delicious meal for us our first night, and Dennis patiently drove me all over the Seattle area, showing me all the best sites. We had a great time with lots of laughs.

Before I met Dennis, I'll admit I was a little worried about how our time together would go. For those of you who have met up with a fellow TGer, I'm sure you can relate. What if we couldn't agree on any songs to play? What if we had nothing to talk about? What if, worst of all, Dennis started bad-mouthing the Packers???? Luckily, any fears I had were quickly put to rest, and we both had a great time, played tons of songs and gabbed non-stop. The time went way too fast.

Suzi

dekotaj

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:15 am

BRAVO!!D & Suzi

Cant Bad Mouth the Pack,World champs.But the Bears are going to kick the crap out of them this weekend.LOL

Kevin

AndyT

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:53 am

Great pic! And I sympathize with the lack of video. Been there, regret that... LOL

AcousticAl

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:19 am

I heard this was in the works. As others have said, too bad there's no video.
Even you guys messing around would have been cool to see.

But at least there's an excuse for 'next time'...

dennisg

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 am

Because we were having so much fun visiting various sites around Seattle, we left ourselves with very little time to get Wild Horses to a place where we felt comfortable recording it. Suzi was doing fine with her playing, but I was unhappy with mine -- I was having no problem with the Keith Richards open-G guitar part, but when I tried to combine it with the Ronnie Woods lead parts, I just wasn't happy. We were both starting to feel pressure, so we just decided to not record anything. And, to be honest, it was a decision we both regretted a day later, when it was too late to do anything about it. We both have a degree of perfectionism that didn't suit us very well in this instance.

A lot of you have mentioned that it looks like we were having fun in the photo. We were. Lots. And that photo was taken just 30 minutes after Suzi and her husband arrived at my house -- and it only got better after that. Suzi and I spent about eight hours a day together over the next two days, and we never ran out of things to talk about, places to visit, songs to sing, stuff to eat, or things to laugh at. We played dozens of guitars together at Dusty Strings, my local guitar shop, and Suzi got her first taste of a 12-string (she liked it) and a baritone (didn't like it).

Finally, you know how disorienting it feels when someone from one part of your life meets someone from a different part of your life? That's how it was when Suzi first met my wife Jamie. It felt very strange to see them together, but at the same time it felt completely natural because they took a strong and instant liking to each other. One of my favorite moments from the visit was when Suzi played Landslide and Jamie sang it. It was just beautiful watching these two wonderful women (who, an hour before, didn't even know each other) joining together to make such sweet music.

skaladar

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:48 am

That is a great picture, a great story and from the sounds of it, a really great visit. Sure a video would have been nice but the important thing is you were able to get together and spend time having fun.

Yep, TG seems to be pretty good at getting people who have become friends online together. Thanks for sharing your story with us. We can all be a bit happier living vicariously through you.

♫ Ken ♫

tovo

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:12 pm

dennisg wrote:
One of my favorite moments from the visit was when Suzi played Landslide and Jamie sang it. It was just beautiful watching these two wonderful women (who, an hour before, didn't even know each other) joining together to make such sweet music.
That would have been wonderful to see. You should have recorded that one Den!

What I wanted to say was the ability to make someone feel completely comfortable in you home after such a short time speaks volumes for the sort of people you and Jamie are. I know it had quite an impact on me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic