Suzi and Dennis collaborate on "Wild Horses" ... with one problem.

suziko

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

One of my favorite things about getting together with Dennis was that it gave me my first taste of what it can be like to play WITH another person. This was my first real experience with that (not counting the very small bit of playing I did with my guitar teacher when I first started playing and a short stint playing with a friend when, again, I was a real beginner), and it made me realize how different it is to play with someone rather than just by yourself. For one, you notice your own mistakes far less because you aren't on display. Secondly, playing with Dennis made me far more comfortable playing something that I barely knew or that I had never played before. A good example of that was playing Across the Universe with him. I'd never played the song, but he gave me a chord sheet and I just started strumming along, watching him for key chord changes. Thirdly, playing with another person means you can do so much more with a song. We experimented quite a bit with each of us playing different parts for one song (rather than just both strumming the same thing). For example, we played I've Just Seen a Face, with Dennis open in A and me capo'd at the 2nd in G.

I agree with Dennis that one of my favorite moments was playing Landslide for Jamie to sing along to. Another was singing along to Country Roads, which Dennis's wonderful friend Heather had just learned to play (she just started learning guitar a few months back). Watching her persevere despite the challenges of a new instrument and a new song, and being able to support her by singing along, was a really great experience for me.

Suzi

suziko

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:24 pm

Here is one of the two pictures I took while out in Seattle. The other is a close up shot of the Collings which I don't think I need to subject any of you to. This was taken in Dennis's guitar shop, Dusty Strings. A great shop with a really nice selection of Taylors, Martins, Collings' and more. This was a little Collings OM-1, sitka/mahogany, with a sunburst top. It sounded even better than it looked and I thought it was stunning. But let's just say it was a little out of my price range!! Unless I sold both my Martin and my Taylor.... and my daughter! :)

Suzi Image

millponddave

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Too bad we can't get the various world leaders together to make music. Maybe the world would be a better and more peaceful place. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:57 am

Dennis, Suzi,

I've been ever so lucky to meet some of the great characters here at TG.
It's a real hoot when that happens, which means there is some kind of magic behind it ...

Here's to a future meeting !

Hydroman52

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Jamming with others sure does open doors to learning new stuff. It would have been nice to see a Wild Horses video from you two. Bummer. Glad you all had a blast! Glad there was no Packers bashing, too . . . . Go Pack!

Hydroman52

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Isn't it just great when members get together, sounds like you guys had a ball. Now Suzi and Jamie combining to do Landslide that would have been nice to have on record.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic