A funny thing happened at my first open mic performance...

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Dennis Balls of Steel!

Way to go Dennis you certainly now how to pucker a sphincter and balls it out! Excellent job all round and great entertainment to boot.
Smart choice of songs too (looking forward to part 2). I'd really like to hear that Sad Songs and Waltzes sung in Dutch in coffee shop in Amsterdam... sign me up for that gig any time!

Open mic's like this certainly deserve their own thread and uploader... and it should be code of honour for every TG member to post a video of any open mic performance. This was a one enjoyable post.

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks

reiver

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Great job, Dennis. Thanks for telling us you were nervous cos it really didn't show in your performance. I'm glad it turned out to be such a positive experience for you. Did the nerves pass or did they stay with you throughout the 2 songs? And you looked very comfortable playing standing up - is that something you've worked on?

Stuart

BobR

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Dennis,

Way to go :woohoo: Great job and cool that you got the audience to join right in.

Thanks for sharing your first open mic.

Bob

millponddave

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Dennis,

WAY TO GO !!!! That was great and you looked like you were really having fun. I hope that someday I'll have the nerve (as well as the chops ) to do something like that..

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Dennis, if I was any more impressed I'd be flatter than a pancake :S
Great job on holding it all together so well ... playing standing up adds a lot of attitude to the performance, and your voice delivery was, well, real "singing", very strong and controlled (nice hooooouuu! there at 3min50 or so). NICE !

As an aside, in your response post you wondered at performers who seem to deal quite well with huge live audiences.
A bit of googling on the subject of beta-blockers and musicians might lead to part of the explanation, but then what do I know about playing to a crowd of strangers... I'm still working on conquering camera nerves. :blink:

And that was a swelll touch of verbal jujitsu there with your friend the open mike MC ... don't resist, but instead, to quote Bruce Lee : "Be like watah!"

More !
Pierre

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Dennis,

Nothin but admiration here.

Well done.

RicksPick

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Dennis I was beeming ear to ear
Well done so proud for you
Star material even handled a poor introduction

RicksPick

songman52

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 am

Great job Dennis! You seemed like a veteran up there. Nice song, audience participation, "it's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to." That's an A+ performance in my book. Really enjoyed it.

Jerry

lueders

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 am

Nice Going Dennis!! Wow, man looks like ya knocked 'em dead!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic