A funny thing happened at my first open mic performance...

dennisg

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:13 pm

...the audience sang along with me. Go figure.

Well, I'd always wanted to have the experience of doing an open mic, and I chose a venue in Seattle devoted to just that. It wasn't a restaurant or a cafe that just happens to have a microphone standing by, with people clinking silverware and beer glasses -- this was a place where you go specifically to sit and listen to performers. That's what I wanted, a crowd that wasn't distracted by deep-dish pizza.

I performed two songs last night, both of which I've uploaded here in the past: Country Honk (Honky Tonk Women) and Autumn Leaves. And both of them went pretty well last night. I asked the audience to join me in singing the chorus on Country Honk, and, as you'll hear, most of the audience belted it out, many of them doing harmonies.

I'll post Autumn Leaves later on so that I don't inundate you with all things Dennis.

By the way, I posted this in the Collaboration forum because I had no idea where it fits. It's not an upload to review or a busking song or a collaboration. Maybe we need an open-mic channel with an uploader.

Anyway, here it is, warts and all.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

buddy

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Dennis, Congrats on your first open mic !!!! You did great and your nerves did not seem to show. Really enjoyed this and now that your are on a roll keep it up.

Bud

tovo

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm so proud of you mate! What a great job. First observation is that it's the first time I've ever seen you look even remotely nervous, but you controlled that wonderfully. You are a true showman, getting the audience involved was a master stoke to help settle your nerves and you clearly relaxed as you went. The announcer didn't do you many favors at the start did he! Oh well you handled it just great. Bravo. Who was doing the filming?

willem

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Super Dennis,,looks like you did anything else in your life..can we expect more vids??? gee i love it a..

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Damn fine performance there Dennis. Your nerves didn't show in the performance at all. Congrats on stepping up there and getting with it. Also, thanks for sharing that with us...... B)

MJ

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm

The announcer didn't do you many favors at the start did he!......said tovo.

I thought the same thing.......

Good job, Dennis. You plowed through the negative.....

TCS

jimcjimc

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Dennis, Good job with the open mic! Way to go!
Jim

sbutler

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Great, GREAT job Dennis. You settled in to that really well, and the song was a good one too.

Just for fun, I started the video, watched the first ten seconds, then slid the little ball over to the last ten seconds, and it was obvious by the end of the song, you had settled in. I looked and sounded like you were having fun.

Good Stuff Dennis.

SCott

suziko

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Well done, Dennis! It takes some serious guts to do an open-mic. You did a great job on this song and it was clearly a crowd pleaser!

Suzi

lueders

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Wow.....you just had me smile big time during your whole performance! :cheer: :cheer:

I am só proud of you, how great to just go out and do this, and so well done as well, and how fantastic that we're getting a look as well, just loved watching it!

I missed one thing, not a kiss for your wife, but here and there a smile for the audience! :P ;)

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic