Part 2, A funny thing happened at my first open mic performance

dennisg

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Want to know what it feels like to be standing on a stage, all eyes on you, and totally lose your concentration in the middle of your song? Then just watch this video.

I was moving along relatively well in Autumn Leaves, a song I can play (literally) blindfolded. There's a coffee bar in the same room as the stage, and out of nowhere I heard the barista turn on the steam jet to foam a latte. That's all, in my fragile state of mind, it took for me to lose focus, hit a wrong note, and then start flailing. Just when I needed my brain to be at its most alert, all I could hear was the sound of ocean waves crashing against a shore. And all I could do was to just blink stupidly at the guitar, begging it to offer up a chord -- any chord -- that would bail my pathetic ass out of this awful mess.

But no chord came to me. Just a series of embarrassing scratches across the strings ... until my brain said, "Go to the F7, idiot!" So I did. And that chord restored some order and put me back on track.

When you watch the video, you'll see that all of this takes place in a matter of about 3 seconds, although it felt like a life sentence to me. And, as is typical of me, you don't see my enormous internal struggle appearing on my face. You just see a guy who, in the middle of the tune, appears to be playing some other song for a few moments.

Daryl asked a very reasonable question in a comment about my Country Honk video: did I learn anything from the experience? There is one significant thing I forgot to mention that I learned, and it all came home during Autumn Leaves. You absolutely can not play the guitar in front of a live audience when you're distracted or scared. And becoming distracted, as in my case, can easily lead to being terrified when something bad happens.

Did anything good come out of Autumn Leaves? See for yourself. And pay attention to the one-word comment that some woman uttered at the end of the song. I didn't hear it at the time -- the waves crashing as loudly as they were -- and it wasn't until I edited the video that I heard it.

Latte anyone?

Collaboration of Dennis Autumn Leaves: This is what I look like scared.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:31 pm

A Latte,,yes two,,,i did not notice what you told,,,i found you did a nice job..

I am curious a baut... did you speak with the audience when the open mic was happend????

edit: yes saw it no,,i said saw!!! 2.08,,oh the two latte are after your performence or a beer or something stronger?? oh and the WOW was good too..

MarkM

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Dennis, well your eternity was but a mere blip in reality. Fantastic job!!!! I must say Mick Fleetwood can't hold a candle to your balls.................... Image

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Dennis what a trouper to carry on... well done mate. Lets start a ' Ban the Latte during Open Mic's'

tovo

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Mate my reaction is the same as Jamie's..."Wow". (I reckon it was Jamie...time will tell!) If that's your idea of a clanger then give me a few of them if I ever step up as you have done. I can certainly understand that it would have felt like an eternity to you though. Those subtle bends in that tune are just gorgeous, particularly on that spectacular new Taylor of yours. I was playing your video on the couch and Cindy who was out in the kitchen thought it was a live CD and asked who it was. That's sure indicative of the quality of your performance I think.

As an aside....Mark, "hold a candle to your balls"???? Sounds painful to me bro. VERY painful. I don't even think I would let Stevie do that!

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Dennis,

Very nice job. You handled the pressure well. I listened through it three times to make sure that I was picking out the mistake you were talking about. To be honest, if you hadn't pointed it out, I don't think I would have noticed it. Whatever you felt that you did wrong, you seem to have recovered from it very well indeed. You did the best thing that you could have done, and that was to let your instincts take over and keep going. All that practice payed off. Good work.

Hydroman52

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Funny how we see our mistakes as huge flubs but others barely notice. I was expecting something very obvious Dennis and almost missed it. If you would not have pointed it out, I would have.... ;)

I am very inspired by your guts and your talent. Way to go!

Also, as an aside to Tony: Dude, you sooooo would let Stevie do it..... don't kid yourself.......:woohoo: :P ;)

lueders

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Damn, Autumn Lattes!

( No seriously, Dennis, like you said that must have been one of those things that the mind turns into something much worse than it was in reality. The eternity

sure didn't seem long at all in real-time.)

I'm betting 97% of the room didn't even notice. And I'll bet the remaining 3% just thought you were some improv, jazz-cat...throwing in some cowboy swing for the heck of it!

buddy

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Dennis, Way to keep it together. I know it felt a lot bigger to you than it sounded because if you were not looking for it it would not have been noticed. I will second your thoughts about open mics, for me I find that I must just totally lose myself in the music and really concentrate on hearing it. I also find that it helps me to slow way down in my mind which relaxes my hands and body.

Thanks for posting this up, you really nailed this song and it was a pleasure to see and hear.

Bud

michelew

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey Den,

I'm sorry but I think you posted the wrong video. Where is the one with the train wreck that we've all been promised. Talk about a build up ... Well that train wreck looked like a fluff to me. Mate with overstatement like that you could be an Aussie.

I get that it must have been terrifiying. But, I REALLY hope I sound and look that professional and calm if I even have the guts to step up onto a stage and play the guitar.

You moved me with your performance as you so often do. I love this song and you never fail to produce a lump in my throat when I hear you sing it. It was really gorgeous, fluff and all.

I would have given you a standing ovation my friend.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic