Busking Christmas Songs

tombo1230

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm

David, brilliant playing, singing and first video. Excellent job! :)

Merry Christmas or happy holidays when it comes. :)

Tom N.

Catman

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 am

Thank you all for the kind comments!

MarkM

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 am

David,

First video huh............... Nervous in front of the camera? Hmmmmmm. Right............... Regardless it was just a fantastic performance. Now that you got the first one up I want to see MORE. Your playing and singing were just such a pleasure to watch. From the first chord you had me. Great.... now I want a 12 string. Thanks........ Seriously David that was very impressive. Thank you for sharing with the group.

MarkM

auntlynnie

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Great job, David!
Didn't detect any nervousness at all.
Your playing is excellent - it is not easy to include the little embellishments and incidentals on a 12-string, and you did a wonderful job with them. Add to that the singing at the same time and I think you have every reason to be proud of this song. Plus, you made me want to learn it!
Cheers,
Lynn

RicksPick

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 pm

WOW, hey that was fantastic David
First video? you've been holding out on us ?
First of many we hope

RicksPick

Hydroman52

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 am

Catman wrote:
. . . . in a modified drop-D tuning with the 5th string-pair dropped two steps to A. Then I dropped the whole shebang two steps to fit my vocal (such as it is) range. The final tuning is C-G-C-F-G-D.
David,

Very nicely done. I like messing with alternate tunings, but I'm thinking your description may be more accurate if it read:

" . . . . in a modified drop-D tuning with the 2nd string-pair dropped two half-steps to A. Then I dropped the whole shebang two half-steps to fit my vocal (such as it is) range. The final tuning is C-G-C-F-G-D."

I could be wrong, but that's how I interpret the C-G-C-F-G-D tuning.

I'm very curious. Do you leave the 12-string tuned like that? Or do you tune back to standard pitch? That's quite a chore on a 12-string. I have a spare 6-string guitar that I leave tuned down two half-steps, and, if I need to play a song in standard tuning on it, I put a capo at the second fret.

On another note, the karaoke Website that Bassman Jerry and I use to acquire drum tracks has a customizable version of this song. If you think you might be interested in getting a good backing track with the guitar and vocals removed, let me know and I'll PM the link to you. It's free to check it out, and only a few bucks for the final product.

Thanks for posting.

Hydroman52

Catman

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
Catman wrote:
. . . . in a modified drop-D tuning with the 5th string-pair dropped two steps to A. Then I dropped the whole shebang two steps to fit my vocal (such as it is) range. The final tuning is C-G-C-F-G-D.
" . . . . in a modified drop-D tuning with the 2nd string-pair dropped two half-steps to A. Then I dropped the whole shebang two half-steps to fit my vocal (such as it is) range. The final tuning is C-G-C-F-G-D."
You're absolutely right. I speak in tones and semi-tones, breves, minims, crotchets, and hemidemisemiquavers, so I sometimes get the translations wrong :) And I'm an engineer, so obviously I can't count without using my fingers, and I was typing at the time :) And...and...oh, yes...I was testing you! Yes, that's it! I was testing you :)
I'm very curious. Do you leave the 12-string tuned like that? Or do you tune back to standard pitch? That's quite a chore on a 12-string. I have a spare 6-string guitar that I leave tuned down two half-steps, and, if I need to play a song in standard tuning on it, I put a capo at the second fret.
I tuned it back to standard tuning.I don't yet have a satisfactory system for capoing a 12-string. When I do, I will probably tune down two semi-tones and use the capo when necessary. I have ordered a Shubb 12-string capo, and I am going to notch the rubber to provide some relief for the wound strings so the capo will be able to fret the octave strings properly. Of course, this will limit how high on the neck I can apply the capo.

I'm already familiar with the Karaoke website--I think from your previous mention of it here on the forums.

David

Hydroman52

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:13 am

Catman wrote:
I have ordered a Shubb 12-string capo, and I am going to notch the rubber to provide some relief for the wound strings so the capo will be able to fret the octave strings properly.
Good idea. If you get a chance, let us know how this works out.

Thanks,
Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic