Busking Kansas

buddy

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Al, Really great playing and singing on this ! The production quality was really good on this as well.

Bud

jim56

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Hey Al,

Very cool, I do like this song. In fac,t I've been practicing it and looking for the violin parts so my daughter, Danielle and I can play together.

Thanks for the look.

Jim

daryl

Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi Al, Isn't it interesting how, at some point, one no longer even thinks about the right-hand picking? It just happens by itself. Good job. I liked all the different layers you put in. BTW any plans for another Al & Helen collab?

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
HI Al, That flowed quite nicely for you, I compared with your first attempt and thought your walk ups were better in it than the current one, this might be my current sound set up though as its still quite primitive till I get settled. Your work with the Micro BR is certainly coming along, I haven't touched mine in a long time so will have to start again I believe.

Hi Chas- you're right about the walkups being better in my earlier upload- it's not your setup. Speed was my problem on this upload.
Yes, I'm still diggin' the Micro. You will too when you dust it off again :)

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:22 pm

suziko wrote:
Nice job, Al! I remember that old upload of yours from way back. I think the biggest things I notice between the two (besides the awesome vocals you added!) is the smoothness in your transitions between chords. Also, you're just hitting all those chords so much more cleanly. What a great exercise- we could probably all benefit from doing something like that.

Suzi
Im trying to remember if "Dust" was not only my first upload.. But THE first upload to TG. One of mine was B)

I think it is a good exercise to go back to old songs/uploads. Even if you haven't worked on them in a long time- you might be surprised at how they sound now.

Thanks for your comments on my current version.

BobR

Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Al,

Very well done. You definitely seem more at ease with the transitions on this one compared to your earlier post, and while you think it might be a bit fast You can handle it well. The overall production was great. I love the way you layer it all. The sound you get comes out so good.

Bob

pbraun

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 am

Al,
Enjoyed that alot, your mixing of vocals and guitar is amazing. Your Martin sounds great!
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:22 am

Very nice mix Al, I like the way you've blended the vocals and balanced it all, nice guitar tapping too.
Don't pull that very first video of yours... all the others will come tumbling down on top if you do... it being the foundation stone an' all!
Great to see another Al post!

Craig

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am

Al,
Nice job! Not easy to sing and play this one. This was one of my first Target songs as well and I had kinda forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! Your posts are always enjoyable. Keep up the good work!
Craig

AcousticAl

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

I just watched it again and MAN IT'S FAST!! Might be worth doing another take of it at a normal speed and see if I can clean it up a bit. But this is a busking thread- so maybe a student upload next time...

Willem- Thanks for your comment

Anton- I agree about growing with a song.

Mark- You're right- it is a great warm up song. Hope things have settled down for you in your neck of the woods.

Scott- Thanks for checking it out and your comment.

(other) Scott- Yes, that's how a lot of us made our debuts on TG.. WITHOUT HEADS!! Funny to look back on it. But if you could see my face in the earlier upload it looked something like this at various times.. :huh: :unsure: :angry: :blink: :S :pinch:
Re. the song as a warmup.. I do occasionally mess around with it- but it tends to morph into "Just Breathe". I was messing around with it yesterday and realized the fingerpicking was pretty much automatic now- so I thought I'd give the vocals a go.

Tom- Yes I have played this song A LOT over the past few years. It is timeless.

Buddy- Thank you.

Jim- I'd like to see an upload of that sometime!

Daryl- Yes, as I mentioned a few lines up- there comes a point when the muscle memory takes over and you can free up part of your brain to sing. Re. Helen- no specific plans right now. Need to both have the time.. right now only I do.

Bob- Thanks for your comment about the transitions. One thing this song has taught me is having a pivot point between chords. The progression from Am to Am/G to D/F# is a good example.

Pete- My Martin thanks you!! :)

Chris- I wasn't thinking of pulling my first vid. It's good to see where I've been.

Craig- Glad to remind you about this great tune.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic