Busking Kansas

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm

"Dust in the Wind" is one of the first songs I tried to learn on TG. I actually haven't played it in quite a while, but it came back to me relatively easily. Proof that you don't necessarily have to work on a song until it makes you nauseous. Just keep playing in general and songs should come (or come back) easier.

Comments welcome- and I'll post my older upload link so you can compare :)

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

AcousticAl

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:02 pm

Here's the link from August of 2009!! :laugh:
Click 'View Student Upload' to watch.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/video-rev ... iew_id=355

I actually played some things better/cleaner back then. Prob because I took it sloooow.
Listening to the original by Kansas, I also could have slowed my new version down as well.

Oh well.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:24 pm

HI Al, That flowed quite nicely for you, I compared with your first attempt and thought your walk ups were better in it than the current one, this might be my current sound set up though as its still quite primitive till I get settled. Your work with the Micro BR is certainly coming along, I haven't touched mine in a long time so will have to start again I believe.

suziko

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 pm

Nice job, Al! I remember that old upload of yours from way back. I think the biggest things I notice between the two (besides the awesome vocals you added!) is the smoothness in your transitions between chords. Also, you're just hitting all those chords so much more cleanly. What a great exercise- we could probably all benefit from doing something like that.

Suzi

willem

Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Nice, nice production,,well performence i must say,,,

edit: you can be very proud of this ...super

Yamaha48

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Al.

A realy good sound,on dust in the wind.
I like your set up,and de edit with effects.
Your growing in the song.
Evry song or tune needs time.
Thanks for sharing this buskin with us.

cheers from Holland...

MarkM

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Great job Al. Really well done. Playing, vocals, harmonies were all enjoyed. I especially liked the guitar tapping at the end. I know what you are sayig about putting a song down for a while and then picking it back up. I've never posted this song but use it to warm up my fingers before I get down to playing something. As always you put up such great videos. This one is no exception.

MarkM

sbutler

Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Pretty good Al. One of my favorites and you did it well. Pat yourself on the back for a job VERY well done.

Scott

dsmarion

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Al,

Thanks so much for posting the "before" and "after" versions. Being fairly new I had little to compare in your progress here at TG. I must say I think you are so much better a guitarist now and I can clearly see not only the skill you have aquired over these 2 years but also your level of confidence playing (even though the "before" version is "headless" so I can't see facial expressions lol). Your chord transitions now are so smoothe and your picking is always very clean. Well, actually, the picking on the "before" version was very good as well, you look like you have always had very good right-hand control. I struggle with that hand - and I actually play a little better when I let loose a little bit with the right hand. Hope that makes sense.

You are right about the new version being a bit fast. It's kinda funny because I use this song as a finger-warmer-upper and play it lightning fast, not really caring about the song quality, just warming up the fingers as mine don't like to move much right away when I sit down to play. I was wondering if you occasionally do the same thing with this song as I was listening to it.

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy watching your uploads. Great work as always!

Scott

tombo1230

Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Nice job Al,
I am a big fan of layering and this worked really well with the tapping and the various harmonies over the main vocal. The fingerpicking is fast on this song and as someone who used to play this tune myself, I am sure you have done a lot of slow practice to get to this speed.

I taught my daughter a little bit of this when she was eleven and she was given free guitar lessons from a guitar tutor the school used to bring in once a week, because the music teacher was so impressed!

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic