Busking Kris Kristofferson

BobR

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Stuart,

That was really well done.Your playing your vocals sounded so good. ! ! !

Nice Guitar too!!!

Bob

dennisg

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Add me to the long list of people who hadn't heard this song until your wonderful version came along. Really a beautifully played and sung version, Stu. Your new axe sounds absolutely gorgeous.

It's been awhile since I've seen one of your videos -- have you always used that mic? Are you recording directly to a computer? C'mon, spill the beans!

buddy

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:58 pm

WOW, Your playing and singing in this tune is really great. This song really suits your voice. Guitar is sounding great plugged in as well. Post more videos as I really like your style mate !

Bud

jimcjimc

Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 am

joan baez & kris K on david letterman this week doing me & bobby mcgee

pbraun

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 am

Stuart,
The song sounds great, fits your voice well. The Gibson looks and sounds great, what model is it. When I was shopping for strings the other week I played a used Hummingbird, man I wanted to take it home! It even made my playing sound good!
Pete

suziko

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:32 am

Stuart,

Thank you for introducing me to this gem of a song. The mellow, melancholy tone of your voice really suits the theme of this song and your fingerpicking is as smooth and steady as ever. I like that the guitar arrangement is fairly simple and doesn't get in the way of the story that's being told. There aren't many better songwriters than Kris Kristofferson and this song has got to be one of his best. I love how the tone of the A section contrasts with the B (the gritty, dirty feel of the "Casey" sections that chug along like a train versus the gentle, sensual, undulating "She" sections). I also love how KK describes so vividly this moment in Casey's life and hints at the nature of the relationship between the two characters, yet leaves the listener wanting to know more. It really is a perfect little vignette.

Oh, and I know I mentioned it in your banner video, but nice guitar!! I love the sunburst pattern and it sure sounds great. It seems to really suit you.

Suzi

Hydroman52

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 am

jimcjimc wrote:
joan baez & kris K on david letterman this week doing me & bobby mcgee

Stuart,

It was really nice of you to loan your guitar to Kristofferson so he could do this Letterman appearance. It sounded good there, too.

You did a good job on the finger picking and singing on that Kris K song. That Gibson should have a good sound on The Decemberists songs, too. I know that Colin Meloy plays Gibsons and Guild.

Thanks for posting,

Hydroman52

willem

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:31 pm

i agree(after listen twice) with what all the others said,,,absolute wonderful,,the only thing i want to repeat is that you guitar sounds wonderful..thanks Stuart..

keep filming..

reiver

Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Before I get to the thank yous, I’d like to start with an apology. I wrote a fairly long introductory note to accompany this video in the description box of the busking video uploader but it appears to have vanished into the ether. I should have checked to make sure it was there but didn’t. You’d have loved it, it was a masterpiece. Funny, sad, shocking and ultimately uplifting..................but you’ll just have to take my word for it. Paraphrasing, it told of my affection for this song from my teens when I first heard it on the album Me and Bobby McGee (aka Kristofferson?) released around 1970. Also, I mentioned my guitar, a limited edition (300) Gibson Kristofferson Southern Jumbo, “The Kristofferson”, perhaps most easily identifiable by the UFW logo at the 12 fret. And finally, it included an apology for the interference that you can hear on the sound quality. I am breaking in some new recording equipment and it’s a fairly steep learning curve for me. It was possibly due to input levels being a little high. I’ll try to do better next time. Thank you for your indulgence.

And now, the thank yous.......

daryl – thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. Not sure if either of those songs is on my radar yet but I do like the thought of having a voice that suits Kristofferson songs. I’m taking that as a compliment :)

jimc – thank you for your support and for posting the video. That was very interesting.

tom – thanks, Tom. So ,come on, we need details of this new guitar.

jim (jimbo58) - I’m so glad I didn’t ruin one of your favourite songs for you. I agree with you on the lyrics – they really are masterful. I didn’t do very much of note on the picking other than try to keep it simple– it’s a kind of alternating bass/travis pick and I don’t play on the top string much - just occasionally on the choruses. If you need a chord sheet or any specific advice just pm me, I’d be happy to help.

Ness – thanks very much. My voice does seem to lend itself to these sad songs. I have tried others, as you know, but they don’t work so well. Maybe it’s something I should work on. Just not sure how!

Cori – not sure if I was better than Kris – but I appreciate the support. He sure can write a song.

Tony – thanks a lot. Good to see you back! I think the guitar will sound only better once I get my head around the recording set up.

Chris – I did see that, but I didn’t really understand it. Did he feel that playing a Gibson takes more physical effort? Anyway, thanks for the kind comments.

Scott – Glad you liked it – and the guitar. I’m really happy with it.

Bob - very kind of you. Thank you.

Dennis – thanks a lot. Really glad you enjoyed it. It is a new mic and I’m recording through an interface to my laptop. I may do a little video to show my new recording gear, I guess there’s some interest out there about that kind of thing.

Buddy – Thanks very much. It’s often my intention to record more – but it doesn’t seem to happen. Maybe now I’ll ramp it up a bit – to 2 a year.

Pete – as I explain above, a little belatedly, it’s a Gibson Kristofferson SJ. I know what you mean about the sound of these guitars. Once I played it I just kept going back. Jack Van Breen may be onto something – if it feels right!

suziko! – I’m glad that you enjoyed this song and I’m very happy to have introduced you to it. I love how he tells us so much but also leaves us wondering. Even the name of the song seems to leave questions unanswered. Glad too that you think the guitar suits me. I’m guessing it’s the “vintage” part of the “vintage sunburst” finish that fits with me.

hydroman – good spot on the guitar – it is indeed the same model. Although I think his is probably serial no. 1 and mine is around 187! And you’re right, it fits with The Decemberists songs really nicely. Thanks for taking the time and the kind words.

willem – thanks very much. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ll try to come up with some other interesting songs and refine the recording a bit.

Craig

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Stuart,
Very well done. I really enjoyed all aspects. Congratulations on a wonderful effort.
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic