Busking Death Cab for Cutie

dennisg

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Al, I love what you do with this! I think your hybrid pick/strum works perfectly and your voice is tailor- (or should I say Taylor) made for this song. Another outstanding post.

To answer your question: it's all a matter of what you're used to. When I first started here, I had almost no experience with a flat pick, so everything (picking or strumming) was done with my fingers. I had to force myself to start using a pick, and now I really appreciate it. Based on how quickly you pick things up, it would take you about seven seconds to get used to a pick.

tombo1230

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Al, hadn't heard this song before but enjoyed it a lot. The fact that you strum / picked it with your fingers was a good choice, because you seemed to be very comfortable with this technique and appeared to play this with ease. It also fitted the mood of the tune. Everyone knows that if you are relaxed then you play better and you certainly did play well. A stripped back performance, but sometimes simple is good! You made this look easy! Good job! :)

Tom N.

MarkM

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Al,

Very nicely done!! Simple is best here and you really pulled it off well. Nice strumming and singing! As for the fingers vs pick I think it all depends on the song. I find that I can get more accomplished with a pick as I can do the bass runs, hammerons and pull offs better with a pick much better than with my thumb and finger. Certain songs like the version of Any Road I did lent itself better to strumming with my fingers. I suppose its all about the sound that your after. Luckily you can play pretty much any style so you have that going for you. Again, great job. I really enjoyed this performance.

MarkM

lueders

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 am

Al, I wanted to comment on your flatpick/plectrum vs.fingerstyle debate...but got sidetracked. Although I am someone who has a bit more picking experience than fingerpicking... I have to say there really is no question that fingerstyle is by far the more versatile technique.There is a method to play virtually anything via fingerstyle....slapping,brushes, rolls, trailing...dead thump stuff ...and just on & on & on. Not only that but u can stop on a dime, change techniques mid- song via fingerstyle. Also,it is pretty hard to make a flat pick tune sound like two guitars. That certainly is possible with fingerstyle technique...and that right there is what sold me on fingerstyle over plectrum. But the best part is the notes sound so much more natural with your fingers...a pick feels like some little plastic alien that doesn't belong.
Mark K. & Neil Hogan prefer fingers over flat picking... that's something I certainly take notice of.
Now, sure there is nothing like trying to play fast countrified, doc Watson type alternate picking stuff...you get a certain amount of bite and sharpness of note on single string alternating picking you can't get any other way. Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that doc Watson claimed he struggled more with fingerpicking than flatpicking...I like hybrid picking a lot. But that is basically glorified fingerpicking with a little more sharpness & bite. It is like almost like
some flatpickers got together one day & decided the single note stuff needed to start sounding fuller!

songman52

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:19 am

Very nice, Al. I like the finger strumming on this song. Yes, I do that often, especially if I'm playing around, working on a song by myself.
Okay, DCFC, Postal Service, what's next - My Chemical Romance, Snow Patrol, Staind? Actually, nice song. It reminds me of my kids (not really kids anymore) and the music i've learned form them.
I play a few Chili Peppers, Oasis, Green Day, Coldplay, etc. and really love some of their stuff. I guess I'm old but not a fogey.

Good job again.

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic