Busking Death Cab for Cutie

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:09 am

Another song I've been sitting on for a while. Figured I'd upload it- as it differs from my usual uploads- NO MULTITRACKING. Just me and my GS Mini. Nowhere to hide :)

A general statement that you might want to respond to-
As many of you know- I'm more of a fingerpicker than a strummer. Even when strumming, I find it much easier to strum with my fingers than using a pick- as with this video. Is it that I'm more in-touch with the guitar when using my fingers? Do many of you find the same thing?

As usual, comments welcome.

Cheers!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Al, very nice song, not familiar with it but it sounds like if you would have compose the song, it is very warm and emotinal. Playing it straight with such a good result shows that you are not hiding anything when you are using harmonies and electronic.

Regarding the strumming, strumming with the fingers without a pick is warmer especially in a ballad like this one and seems appropriate as it contributes to the smoothness of the song where a pick would probably bring the focus on the guitar rather than the song. I am working on Crazy on you and pinball wizard which on the other hand must be played with a pick because of the quick run down and requirement for many picked notes. The way you do it on this song is kind of semi fingerpicking as you use your open thumb, so to speak, to hit the alternate bass line. So all I mean to say is that the choice of plectrum or not is certainly depending on the song and what you you want to put forward, guitar or voice.

Really nice video

Marc

Music Junkie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Al:

Nice job. I had only discovered DCFC recently. I really like some of their stuff. The lead singer also had/has a side project called the Postal Service (at least I think that it its him)...... :) I thought you did a really good job on the strumming. I would agree with the point of view about feeling closer to the guitar while fingerpicking. I enjoy both and have really been concentrating on strumming songs as of late. Your chord changes seemed very smooth to me and, as always, your singing was very nice. I will need to invest in a voice box of some sort before I get to singing.... It just is not in the cards for me..... ;)

Glad you posted this one. It is nice to see another side of your musical abilities..... :)

MJ

suziko

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:16 pm

hey Al! Nice job on this song! This was one of my very first uploads. I haven't looked at it in a long time- and I think that's probably for the best!! As you probably know, Ben Gibbard plays this with his fingers, doing a sort of hybrid strum/picking thing, so I think you're perfectly justified in skipping the pick. Nice job on the vocals, too. BG has a high voice, but I guess that's no problem for you, after tackling that Bread song!

As for your question, I don't really like to strum with my fingers, personally. I don't have long nails (or any desire to grow them) and I prefer the sharp sound that you get when strumming with a pick to the muted one of my fingertips. But that's just me.

Suzi

Craig

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Al,
I'm not familiar with the song but it fits your style nicely. Well done. I agree with Marc, I think to pick or not to pick depends on the feel and emotion of the song. Thanks for sharing.
Craig

buddy

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Al, I really like how you approached this song. You kept it simple and warm with both the vocals ans the guitar. I think the decision to minimize the effects really matched the tone and timber of this tune. As far is fingers vs. picks, for me it all depends on the song but you can get some very nice effects with both of them. I, like you, do feel closer to the guitar when using my fingers.

I always really enjoyed your posts and I really liked this one as well.

Bud

BobR

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Al,

Very nicely done. I enjoyed your version a lot.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

tovo

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Not a tune I've heard before Al, thanks for the intro. You played it great and sung it very well also. The tune itself gave me mixed emotion. It's a moving love song on one hand...and sort of hinted at suicide on the other! (That was my impression I doubt the composer meant that).

I prefer the tone of a pick myself. It takes longer (well it has for me) to get good pick technique but I get more volume and crispness.

daryl

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Nice Al. I don't know the song either.

Regarding pick or fingers....I'm about 99% fingers. I find my self usually trying to throw in some bass lines along with the rhythm (as I don't typically sing) and the bass stuff helps fill out the sound to my ears.

willem

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:08 pm

I see that as a life performence and enjoyed it pretty much,,nice song,nice strumming skill,,overall a nice sound..

when you look to pro's and watch there hands then you think sometimes ''how can they do that that way'' well they do and get the sound they want or like/love..

Cheers on a great upload...........again.

I still trying to find how to hold and play that guitar in away i am happy with..

I think ''aint no sunshine'' will fit you well,,, its all with fingers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic