Busking Death Cab for Cutie

schm040

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:02 pm

Al,

I am like you, I use my fingers for just about everything. I do like to strum though, but usually after about 4 beers so I don't care how bad it sounds :)

Oddly enough, Neil's instruction on strumming has helped me a lot with my fingerstyle too.

I am working on Ian Anderson's songs on TG quite a bit because I think they can translate well from strumming to fingerstyle hybrid type playing.

Great post.

Matt
Mass.

rdaltry

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:34 pm

i too now tend to favor using fingers even for strumming since TG, where i basically learned to be MUCH more comfortable with fingerpicking
also, by the way, i'm too lazy to always keep a pick handy and hate dropping it etc... 8-) i occasionally grab pick to try to develop some cross-picking ability, but for some reason i'm just not as into that these days
never woulda expected prior to TG that i would be here.
btw, al great job as usual! 8-)

AcousticAl

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Marc- You're right about the song guiding you to either use a pick or not. Good reason to become skilled at both fingerpicking and strumming with a pick.

MJ- Good to hear from you. Maybe I feel just more in control when I'm finger-strumming? Need to work at the pick more.
I also like the Postal Service. Here's a great tune of theirs..

More replies to come.. Gotta go- the christmas parties are starting!

jayswett

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Al, Like you, I prefer the finger strumming technique, but recognize the importance of being proficient with a pick. I've noticed that the majority of succesful performers at open mics, which be noisy affairs at times, strum briskly and loudly with pics. I often think to myself that I need to focus more on the pick, but I just haven't made that happen yet.

lueders

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Al, I think you do a wonderful job on this tune! I think your voice was perfect for this song. I like the choice of the brushy fingerpicking style.sounds quite true to the original. Very enjoyable lesson all the way around!

EDIT: UH, DERR...I meant 'listen" sorry about that LOL! Very nice playing & singing on this Al. And it is a lesson of sorts. ;)

dsmarion

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:25 am

Hey Al,

I guess I am not too alone because I am not familiar with this song either. But I liked your "solo" performance just fine. Thanks for posting.

Interesting about strumming with/without pick. Most people who only use picks (like me, although I am finding it fun not to these days) feel totally lost without a pick. It would seem that fingerpickers feel lost with one. I have discovered that the sound you get without one is dramatically softer which I like now for some stuff. I also noticed that you are strumming with your fingers but also are picking out bass notes with your thumb. Doing that with a pick you may find a bit tricky -- but it does make the bass notes come out much more crisp (just watch some of Niel's lessons where he does that) but you seem very comfortable with what you are doing. I would suggest that it might be a good learning thing though for you to force yourself to record this again with a pick though, just as it has been educational for me to force myself not to. Knowing how to do both opens up a lot of doors.

Scott

haoli25

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 am

Excellent performance, Al. And great use of the "invisible pick" too, I use it often. B) Your video was so good I had to go back and watch it several times. More.....more....more.

Bill

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Isn't this site just great; being introduced to a lot of music we may never normally listen to, and missing out. Many thanks for posting Al. As for pick vs fingers for me it totally depends on the feel of the song and what kind of spin you want to put on it. With this song the way you played it just sounded right. :)

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Suzi- I think I knew that he strummed it with his fingers as well.
It's also been a while since I've watched Neil's lesson on it- so I don't know how far I strayed from how it should be played.
I should actually make a point of re-watching Neil's lessons after I've played a song for a while and see how far I've strayed. :)

Craig- I guess you're not in the minority not knowing this song. Thanks for giving my version a listen.

Buddy- You're right about the song dictating whether to use a pick or not. When a song calls for it- I don't want to shy away from using a pick because I don't have the chops. I can, and do use a pick- and not bad at times as you see on some of my uploads. But don't have real confidence in it yet.

Mr. Bob- Thanks for taking the time.

Tony- You're right. It is a very dark song. You're probably not far off in your summation.

Daryl (Mr. 99%)- Now that I think of it- have you ever uploaded a song using a pick? If not- will you in the future?

Willem- You're correct. I'm working on 'Ain't No Sunshine' right now. Was so happy when Neil uploaded the chord solo :)

Matt- Thanks. I'm curious how Neil's instruction on strumming helped with your fingerstyle playing?

Mr. Daltry- Thanks for your comment. BTW- when is The Who on tour AGAIN? :)

Jay- You're right about playing in a loud environment. You'd have to use a pick for anyone to hear you!

Cori- Thank you. But don't call it a lesson. Neil might hear you! :blink:

More replies to come...

daryl

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:19 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Daryl (Mr. 99%)- Now that I think of it- have you ever uploaded a song using a pick? If not- will you in the future?
I had to go searching but I found three uploads.

Best of My Love
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
This Boy

Maybe I misspoke. Maybe it should be 97%. ;)

Daryl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic