Busking James Taylor

daryl

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 am

Nice Willem. Your plucking/strumming hand is VERY relaxed and smooth. And you timing was good. I liked how you didn't get out of time or obviously flustered when you missed a note or two. You also seemed quite relaxed in front of the camera. But you seem to have a hard time getting to the Bm from the Em. This might be awkward for you (and totally wrong and you should ask Neil and/or Ness) but maybe you could try playing the Em with your 3rd and 4th fingers to see if that fingering makes it any easier for you to get to the Bm chord.

Great progress!

willem

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 am

daryl wrote:
Nice Willem. Your plucking/strumming hand is VERY relaxed and smooth. And you timing was good. I liked how you didn't get out of time or obviously flustered when you missed a note or two. You also seemed quite relaxed in front of the camera. But you seem to have a hard time getting to the Bm from the Em. This might be awkward for you (and totally wrong and you should ask Neil and/or Ness) but maybe you could try playing the Em with your 3rd and 4th fingers to see if that fingering makes it any easier for you to get to the Bm chord.

Great progress!
Thx Daryl,,its a great song and today it was the first time trying to add the Lyrics and recording,,about the fingering you said I thought you gave me a great tip but I checked and I play it with my third and fourth finger,,,this time I was very focused on the tekst so I kept it going,,

Willem

haoli25

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 am

willem wrote:
A time back I upload only the playing for review which I hope I get,,now I work a lot on adding the lyricks,,well you know when the cam is running the legs go shaking a bit and the playing is a bit diffrent,,so many things to think at,,here it is ''you can close your eyes''

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

WOW, you ROCK, Willem. That was excellent. As Daryl said, you seemed very relaxed in this video. I really liked the playing, timing, and your singing. Congratulations on a great job. Thank you for sharing your video.

Bill Image

willem

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 am

haoli25 wrote:
willem wrote:
A time back I upload only the playing for review which I hope I get,,now I work a lot on adding the lyricks,,well you know when the cam is running the legs go shaking a bit and the playing is a bit diffrent,,so many things to think at,,here it is ''you can close your eyes''

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

WOW, you ROCK, Willem. That was excellent. As Daryl said, you seemed very relaxed in this video. I really liked the playing, timing, and your singing. Congratulations on a great job. Thank you for sharing your video.

Bill Image
Thx Eric,,,hummm,, Bill,,still love your hands,,

WiLLEM

dennisg

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 am

This is a really sweet song, Willem. and hearing you do it makes me want to learn it.

I'm always extremely impressed when someone, for whom English is not a native language, is able to perform in English. I just think it adds a layer of complexity to what you're doing that native English speakers don't have to worry about, so congratulations on doing such a fine job with the lyrics.

I'll make the same comment on this version that I did on your original one: your tempo tends to wander a bit -- not nearly as much as on the first version (you've improved a lot), but it's still happening. I was counting the time as you were playing, and we were constantly getting out of sync. But your playing is so much smoother and more confident in this version. Really well done.

willem

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 am

dennisg wrote:
This is a really sweet song, Willem. and hearing you do it makes me want to learn it.

I'm always extremely impressed when someone, for whom English is not a native language, is able to perform in English. I just think it adds a layer of complexity to what you're doing that native English speakers don't have to worry about, so congratulations on doing such a fine job with the lyrics.

I'll make the same comment on this version that I did on your original one: your tempo tends to wander a bit -- not nearly as much as on the first version (you've improved a lot), but it's still happening. I was counting the time as you were playing, and we were constantly getting out of sync. But your playing is so much smoother and more confident in this version. Really well done.

Thx Dennis,, I know about my timing and I was very rushing on the playing and for got many notes(focused on the tekst I guess),, I was not so relaxed has it looks,,this was the first time trying to get the lyrics in and recording,,when I sing this I have many thoughts in Dutch in my head..Dennis great support,,thats where I doing it for..

Willem

daryl

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 am

dennisg wrote:

Maybe it was your counting! ;) But I have to agree with your comment about non-English speaking singers. Very well done Willem!

familyman4

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 am

Very nice Willem!

I can see the vast improvement from your instrumental only video. You have been practicing a lot!!!

You are ready with this song for an open mic night now :)

Thanks for posting this from the early stages to now with the words. It was fun to see your improvement and share in the excitement!!!

Bart

willem

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 am

familyman4 wrote:
Very nice Willem!

I can see the vast improvement from your instrumental only video. You have been practicing a lot!!!

You are ready with this song for an open mic night now :)

Thanks for posting this from the early stages to now with the words. It was fun to see your improvement and share in the excitement!!!

Bart
Thanks Bart,,I sure was in excitement and I sure practiced a lot,,,mmmm lets see how I get it in duet...

Note to Daryl,,thx again..

Willem

TGNesh

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 am

Hi Willem, I think you did a lovely job here! Really like your vocals and relaxed picking and strumming. I actually thought you did well on the transition to that Bm, quite controlled, putting the index down first (play the bassnote) and then adding your other fingers.

I checked my thread when I asked all of you to tell me your weak and strong points and you said that 'playing in time' is your weakest point. And the thing that you really should work on is indeed the timing. So again, the metronome should become your best friend. You can play all the right notes, but if it's not in time, then......

You say, 'I lose the tik tak when I play with a metronome' , you also said, you don't practice that enough as well. So i'd strongly encourage you, WHATEVER you play, play WITH a metronome, even if you think you don't need it. Make a habit of it, let it indeed become your new Best Friend!! Your body just needs to ALWAYS 'feel' where the beats are no matter what you play. The metronome will help you with that. Make your weakest point your strongest point.......and start with this TODAY! :)

Good luck Willem!

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic