Busking Paul Simon

shargram

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Nicely played George. However, given this is a educational site as well as entertaining it would be really useful to see both hands in the videos. That looks as if it might be a challenge for the right hand.

I envy you being able to learn by ear, I struggle with that. I don't find Guitar Pro tabs difficult the tempo function on it is quite good these days. Were you self taught or did you have lessons?
You will see as I post more videos that both hands will be visible and you will be able to see me in full as well(not a pretty sight).I am self taught and never had lessons(could'nt afford them).As I could'nt afford sheet music and books when I started to learn, that's why I decided to let my ears teach me the song.I do however have tabs for all of my videos which I did myself.They are great for returning to a song I have'nt played in a while and just picking it up.Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

George

shargram

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm

rdowner wrote:
Very, very nice. You should feel good about your abilities. It has a very nice cadence to it. Bravo.
Thanks my friend, very much appreciated.

MarkM

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 am

George,

Wonderfully done!!! This is just such a nice song from Paul Simon. You did it more than justice. From one Taylor fan to another thank you for sharing this with the site.

MarkM

shargram

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:54 am

MarkM wrote:
George,

Wonderfully done!!! This is just such a nice song from Paul Simon. You did it more than justice. From one Taylor fan to another thank you for sharing this with the site.

MarkM
Thanks Mark, very much appreciated.I will be posting more Paul Simon songs(and JT songs)later.

George

wrsomers

Sun May 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Kathy's Song. Guitar: "Kimseyized" 1977 Martin D28.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:03 am

Very nice Bill.
How many guitars do you have?
What does "Kimseyized" mean?
And I'm confused about the 5th string tuned down a whole step (to G). When you play a full C-chord doesn't that mean the 3rd finger on the 5th string is playing a Bb?

wrsomers

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:15 am

Thanks Daryl,
I have two guitars, the D28 and a Martin DCPA4 which is acoustic electric. Kimseyized refers to the work of a well known luthier in New Mexico. He modifies guitars to bring out the best in them. Especially 1970's Martin D28's and D18's. You can check him out and see what he's all about at byrankimsey.com.

Tuning down the 5th string to G is a form of open G tuning; only partial in this case. You don't finger chords in the conventional way. Usually you only play strings 1-5, rarely #6. In this song the 5th string is like a droning base. The base alternates between strings 5 & 4. The one dissonant chord uses the open 6th string and the 4th string at the 4th fret.

daryl

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:47 am

I hear the droning in the JB song but I don't hear or see the droning in this song. In fact I see (and hear) you play Am hitting the open 5th string and then the Am with a G in the bass on the 6th string. And I swear I hear the bass line descend. So I must ask, are you really playing Kathy's Song with the A-string tuned down? I know my ear really isn't very good. Thanks!

wrsomers

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:57 am

Whoops, you're right. That tuning reference is only for the JB song. Kathy's song has standard tuning. I've deleted that reference. Sorry about that.

michelew

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Nice one Bill. It's a beautiful song.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic