Busking Michelle

daryl

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Since all the Tommy songs I’m trying to learn are killing me I thought I’d take a break and do something fun. Inspired by Michele’s adventure into bass playing…..I thought I’d try the Beatle’s Michelle and play the rhythm lead and bass parts (with a little help from Ringo’s drumming and Paul’s vocals). As you can tell my phantom singer is trying his best but there are some notes he definitely can’t hit. Oh well, at least I can say he tried. The vocals are 3 separate takes (on 3 tracks) with reverb and equalization. I figured with 3 takes he might be able to hit a good note now and then. As for the guitar parts, I may have gone overboard a bit. The bass part is 2 complete/separate takes (on 2 tracks). The lead is a single take (on 1 track). The rhythm is a single take but I duplicated the take on a 2nd track and added a slight delay to fill out the sound. All the guitar parts have some compression, reverb, and equalization. Ringo’s drumming is on it’s own track and Paul’s lead and backing vocals are on their own track too. And that’s Paul doing the count in. Anyway, it was great fun to put this together. Hope you like it. And now, back to Tommy……Grrrrr

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Fantastic,,,nothing to add everything was there..i stiil have a problem with one chord and never tryed the solo part and i think you did there great too...

MMmmmmm ,BASS ,RHYTHM,SOLO,,LOVELY PINGLE/SLIDE....TERRIFIC!!1
Who were the singers Daryl???

buddy

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Daryl, This is just great, the production and playing the whole feel of it. Really enjoyed this and love what you do with the tech stuff as well.

Bud

Music Junkie

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:21 pm

Daryl:

I really enjoyed that. I love the way you mixed the video as well. Something I am planning on getting into a bit more this coming up year. I have my DAW, my vocals processor and my video camera. Now I just need to figure out how to use them all to get the finished product..... :unsure: :unsure:

I always enjoy watching your hand work on the guitar (both hands). You seem very comfortable with your playing. Having the backing tracks sure does make a difference. I like them a lot for timing as well.

Thanks for posting and sharing!

MJ

RicksPick

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Fantastic Daryl
Real nice and smooth
I enjoyed that thanks

RicksPick

lueders

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm

See there Daryl, I wasn't so crazy....plenty of others agree that this is quite nice! This is a really neat project! :)

I rather like this a lot! looks like you put a lot of work in on this. We'll have to start calling you Phil Specter with your "wall of sound" productions...you do have several layers but it doesn't sound overdone to me at all! I think it sounds GREAT!

Did you actually play this bass on this? ( sounded good!) I liked the lead guitar on this a whole lot too!

Cori

buddy

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Ha Daryl, great to watch you playing again, love the song as well and you definitely did it justice. Really liked the basspart in this one, sounds very cool!

Ness

daryl

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Willem - Thank you. What chord is giving you trouble? Definitely try the solo part. It's a little weird but it's just a repeating pattern. Who were the singers???

Buddy - Thank you. It was a fun song to do. Only wish I had a better singer. :-( The tech stuff is really fun to do. The possibilities are endless.

Jason - Thank you. I'm not really very creative. Mixing the videos as I did is the limit of my creativity. :-( Looking forward to your "film debut". There is a bit of a learning curve between trying to get the camera, DAW, and video editor to all play well together (nevermind getting the guitar player to play well too!) but if I can get over the learning curve anyone can!

Rick - Thank you. It was a lot of fun to put together. Do you have anything in the pipeline?

Cori - Nope. Sorry. You're still crazy. Ask Suzi and Ness. ;-) Thank you anyway. :-) It was a lot of fun. I'm starting to get the hang of the DAW and video editor. But I still have a long way to go. Did I actually play the bass on this? Well sort of. I played the bass lines on my 6-string (as shown in the video) but I had to drop the audio portion by an octave to get the bass sound. But the bass sound is really my playing.

Ness - Thank you. It has been awhile since I've uploaded something (I think). Actually, I forget when the last upload was. I suppose it could have been yesterday! I've already forgotten what happened this morning! Tough to get old. No wait, I'm getting younger! Yes, McCartney is brilliant. His bass lines just make the song. Listen to "All My Loving", "Penny Lane", "Something", and so many more!

BobR

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Daryl,

What can I say, I thought it was great. I love the way you're able to mix all the parts. Very cool.

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

AcousticAl

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Daryl,

So this is what you do to 'take a break' from something difficult you're working on??
Wow. This is really well done. So rich and full. Phil Spector is right! (without the murderous tendencies of course)

Also like that you show the second guitar/bass in the video.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic