Collaboration of Silent Night

tombo1230

Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Cori, Kevin, Craig, Buddy, Bob, glad you guys enjoyed the video. Hope we put you into the Christmas spirit. :)

Tom N.

willem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:50 am

Craig,,thank you,,maybe in futher a Bread song..

Buddy,,thanks,,so christmassy those bells,,do you have bells for the horses??

Bob,thank you,,glad you like it,,see you soon I think.

Jay,,thanks,,,,''who is Claire''???

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 am

Absolutely fabulous! Beautifully done all round.

Claire's vocals are superb, the harmonies are heavenly, a stunning performance. Its right up there with Bing Crosby's White Christmas in my opinion. I'll be playing that on Christmas day for everyone to hear, that's for sure.

Willem, really nicely played and the tempo is exactly right and it is much harder to play these slow songs than anything else, well done!

Tom, you need to break body parts more often ;-) if it gives you the time to do such excellent video and audio work like this, any way!
WTF is DAW? IFHA (I don't like anachronisms). The audio magic you weave here is really fascinating. So you added Willem's tracks twice, one up an octave and one down but did you off-sett to get the fill-ins? How did you weave this spell exactly?
BWD! LOL. Bwuhahahaha!

willem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Claire's vocals are superb, the harmonies are heavenly, a stunning performance. Its right up there with Bing Crosby's White Christmas in my opinion. I'll be playing that on Christmas day for everyone to hear, that's for sure.

Willem, really nicely played and the tempo is exactly right and it is much harder to play these slow songs than anything else, well done!

Tom, you need to break body parts more often ;-) if it gives you the time to do such excellent video and audio work like this, any way!
WTF is DAW? IFHA (I don't like anachronisms). The audio magic you weave here is really fascinating. So you added Willem's tracks twice, one up an octave and one down but did you off-sett to get the fill-ins? How did you weave this spell exactly?
BWD! LOL. Bwuhahahaha!

Thanks Chris,,,all this with one arm,,how would it be with two..lol I also wanna know,,what is DAW---WTF..

okay,,when i understand YATTC(you are traveling to Canada),,then I wish you a good trip and looking forward to the show,,,,It also good happen on Broadway...!!!

Willem

suziko

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:24 am

Willem, Claire and Tom,

That was just beautiful! Willem, great job on the accompaniment and I agree that the tempo is just right. Claire, as always, lovely vocals! Your voice is just perfect for this song, with those high notes ringing out as clear as bells. Tom, great editing as usual! This was very professional-looking!

Suzi

tombo1230

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:

I love that song and apparently Bing didn't want to do it at first.

BWD! LOL. Bwuhahahaha!
Sorry Chris, I explained the meaning of DAW on a previous video but forgot to do it here. DAW is Digital Audio Workstation. It's the place you work on your sound, in my case that is on my laptop using Cubase and Guitar Rig4 Pro software.

I wanted to fill the guitar part out a little and make it sound Christmassy (I think I just made that word up) anyway, I raised the guitar an octave, didn't offset it because that wasn't neccesary and played around a bit with various effects or VST's (Virtual Studio Technology). That's like little programs within a program and I believe I used an effect called Breathing within Guitar Rig4. I would guess listening to the sound, that this adds a kind of chamber style echo onto the plus one octave track. I could send you a wave file if you want to hear it clean. I tried it again with another effect and I can make it sound like bagpipes, not going there. :laugh: :laugh: Basically I get an idea then try to make it happen. Sometimes an idea might come from trying various things. The bottom line on this kind of thing is that it should add something to the production, not take it over to the detriment of everything else. You have to remember we still want to hear the guitar and singing parts as well. Sorry if I'm rambling, does this answer your question? The Bass part had acoustic shimmer on it and was kept lower and more subtle in the mix. I don't spend hours on these effects because I know pretty fast if a basic sound works or not, then I tweak it until I feel that the sound is correct. Hope this helps your understanding of the process.

Tom N.

tombo1230

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:35 am

suziko wrote:
Willem, Claire and Tom,

That was just beautiful! Willem, great job on the accompaniment and I agree that the tempo is just right. Claire, as always, lovely vocals! Your voice is just perfect for this song, with those high notes ringing out as clear as bells. Tom, great editing as usual! This was very professional-looking!

Suzi
Thanks Suzi :)

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Tom. Yes that helped a lot. I have Cubase on an older lap top but I hardly ever use it and am now more into Adobe Audition. I tend to just understand what I use but not go into all the tech info on these things as you'd need time upon time to get to grips with it. So I did know VST (anachronisms are fine, if you have heard the particular one before!). It seems like you have a good feel for these things... I like the idea of the "acoustic shimmer" that's more like what I instinctively understand.
I'll PM you with my mail address... I'd like to look at those audio files for sure. Thanks for the education.

tombo1230

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:11 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks Tom. Yes that helped a lot. I have Cubase on an older lap top but I hardly ever use it and am now more into Adobe Audition. I tend to just understand what I use but not go into all the tech info on these things as you'd need time upon time to get to grips with it. So I did know VST (anachronisms are fine, if you have heard the particular one before!). It seems like you have a good feel for these things... I like the idea of the "acoustic shimmer" that's more like what I instinctively understand.
I'll PM you with my mail address... I'd like to look at those audio files for sure. Thanks for the education.

Anytime Chris.

Audition is a great program. You can do a lot with that. It was a favourite of mine a while ago and quite user friendly I think.

Tom N.

willem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:21 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Anytime Chris.

Audition is a great program. You can do a lot with that. It was a favourite of mine a while ago and quite user friendly I think.

Tom N.

I google Adobe audition but is verry expensively. and what I saw on the tube wow,,you can do alot with it,,,what a study.. when you know all this stuff your a rich boy..lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic