Great answers Cor!

lueders

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 am

michelew wrote:
Great answers Cor!
Thanx Michele! :) :)

abbenormal

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:13 am

Wow, what a lot of great answers, thanks folks!

I should write up a summary, in the meantime, keep them coming, very interesting to read!

440 Hz! When tuning when getting together in Madison, Cori's tuner was at 432, Suzi was at 443 (I think) and mine at 440, :S :laugh: hahaha! Anyway, Cori could start tuning the banjo and mandoline all over again when discovering that. Sorry, reading you both about that cracked me up big time! :P :laugh: :laugh:

sws626

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:14 am

Hi Vanessa,

I haven't done this as much as I would like, but do have a couple of observations from the few times I've had a chance to play with others. So far for me, this has just been a few low-key evenings with people I've met through TG. Having the Target catalogue on hand is a huge benefit since everyone can use it as a common reference point. I'm sure I'm not alone in having watched a lot more of Neil's lessons than I've actually tried to learn. So, even if we haven't both worked on the same songs, having this reference makes it a lot easier to decide what we're going to try to play together.

I agree with what everyone has said about timing. Getting into a groove together is the magic that makes it worthwhile. But I think the key to a successful session lies in the song selection, in having songs in mind to draw on that have both easier and harder parts, so people can jump in at their level of ability or familiarity with the song. It also helps if they are songs that at least one person can manage to sing. When I do this next, I think I'd like to prepare a little bit more and actually exchange ideas in advance about a playlist before sitting down together.

-Stuart

tombo1230

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 am

lueders wrote:

What have you learned?
Don't laugh, but prior to Wisconsin I dad no idea that 440 was concert pitch! Prior to this, I simply looked at my tuner and when the needle was straight up & down & the light was green than the note must be clean! I have since noticed that my tuner reads 440 Hz when the needle is straight up. I had heard the term concert pitch but never knew it was specifically 440. Okay there is my slightly embarrassing omission for the day. lol!
For anyone interested this is middle A (A4) on the piano.

Tom N.

willem

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
lueders wrote:

What have you learned?
Don't laugh, but prior to Wisconsin I dad no idea that 440 was concert pitch! Prior to this, I simply looked at my tuner and when the needle was straight up & down & the light was green than the note must be clean! I have since noticed that my tuner reads 440 Hz when the needle is straight up. I had heard the term concert pitch but never knew it was specifically 440. Okay there is my slightly embarrassing omission for the day. lol!

Tom N.
D

AND it is the A on the first string fifth fret that is 440Hz,,,I'm also glad which A it is on the piano I have many times asked me that question..Tom can you also tell were EADGBE are on the piano..Maybe I see it right now and is the C second string first fret the midlle C on piano..thanks

AndyT

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:47 am

Middle C on the piano is string 5 fret 3.

michelew

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:58 am

Willem, the open strings (standard tuning) on piano are:

E2, A2, D3, G3, B3, E4

:)

bút, and now I better head to Andy's reply.

willem wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
lueders wrote:

What have you learned?

Tom N.
D

AND it is the A on the first string fifth fret that is 440Hz,,,I'm also glad which A it is on the piano I have many times asked me that question..Tom can you also tell were EADGBE are on the piano..Maybe I see it right now and is the C second string first fret the midlle C on piano..thanks

thedancer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:06 am

That is true regarding to standard music-notation, not when it comes down to the actual pitch.

So if both instruments would read and play the C, I mean the one just below the stafflines, it indeed would be middle C on piano and the C on the 5th string 3th fret of the guitar, wich is in pitch an octave lower.

So as for tuning the guitar with a keyboard, you might wanna use E2, A2, D3, G3, B3, E4.

AndyT wrote:
Middle C on the piano is string 5 fret 3.

AndyT

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 am

Yes, Standard notation actually reads an octave lower than the guitarist plays.
Good point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic