Collaboration-related question

willem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:37 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
That is true regarding to standard music-notation, not when it comes down to the actual pitch.

So if both instruments would read and play the C, I mean the one just below the stafflines, it indeed would be middle C on piano and the C on the 5th string 3th fret of the guitar, wich is in pitch an octave lower.

So as for tuning the guitar with a keyboard, you might wanna use E2, A2, D3, G3, B3, E4.

AndyT wrote:
Middle C on the piano is string 5 fret 3.

Thank you Vanessa,,,then the real pitch from middle C on Piano = second string first fret or third string fifth fret...and I forgot on my piano/keyboard is middle C / C3 OR C4?? I DON'T MAKE FUN IT IS SERIEUS..THANKS IN ADVANCE..

AndyT

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 am

As I understand it, piano is labeled on how far away the key is from middle C.
So, C2 is the second C right of (above) Middle C. So Middle C would be C0 (zero) or just plain C.

I should know this. I work with a piano teacher. LOL Now I'm not so sure...

willem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 am

AndyT wrote:
As I understand it, piano is labeled on how far away the key is from middle C.
So, C2 is the second C right of (above) Middle C. So Middle C would be C0 (zero) or just plain C.

I should know this. I work with a piano teacher. LOL Now I'm not so sure...

This is confusing Andy,,I think this way,,when you have 88key on board then the first C= C1 and so on and I think to remember C4 = middle C.. (NOT SURE)

My keyboard starts on C2(I don''t have 88keys)...

lueders

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:57 am

Willem, middle C on any piano or keyboard is C4.

A standard piano, 88 keys, it has 7 (and a little more) octaves, the first one starting on C is C1 and so on. Middle C is where the 4th octave starts, hence C4. And your keyboard starts with C2 (wich is the 2nd octave on an actual piano) and ends up on C7, remember? ;)

And yes, the same pitch on guitar would be as you mentioned, 2nd string 1st fret, or indeed 3rd string 5th fret, or 4th string 10th fret.....or, haha! :P

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
That is true regarding to standard music-notation, not when it comes down to the actual pitch.

So if both instruments would read and play the C, I mean the one just below the stafflines, it indeed would be middle C on piano and the C on the 5th string 3th fret of the guitar, wich is in pitch an octave lower.

So as for tuning the guitar with a keyboard, you might wanna use E2, A2, D3, G3, B3, E4.

AndyT wrote:
Middle C on the piano is string 5 fret 3.

Thank you Vanessa,,,then the real pitch from middle C on Piano = second string first fret or third string fifth fret...and I forgot on my piano/keyboard is middle C / C3 OR C4?? I DON'T MAKE FUN IT IS SERIEUS..THANKS IN ADVANCE..

AndyT

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:59 am

HA! I was wrong. I knew it! Sorry Willem. I'll stay out of the piano discussions from now on. LOL
We both learned something.

It's amazing how something as simple as Middle C can mess you up.
I have a small Ebook written by a Piano teacher that translates piano keys to guitar. Maybe I should read it. LOL

lueders

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:03 am

Well personally I had no idea about the 440HZ and what actual note that is on a guitar of a piano, I just know that my guitartuner has to be on that pitch, that's about it, haha! ;) :P

AndyT wrote:
HA! I was wrong. I knew it! Sorry Willem. I'll stay out of the piano discussions from now on. LOL

willem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:04 am

AndyT wrote:

I never thought I could learn you something....LOL

AndyT

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 am

Oh theres LOTS of things I need to learn! LOL
If you want a copy of the Ebook, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

willem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:11 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well personally I had no idea about the 440HZ and what actual note that is on a guitar of a piano, I just know that my guitartuner has to be on that pitch, that's about it, haha! ;) :P

AndyT wrote:

Well I find very important to know real pitches,,maybe for practicing melody/vocal but now my keyboard is moved from the loft I think I use that for it and 'm also glad were my middle C is,,,all confusing are gone so I have more space in my head...lol

Thank you genius...

lueders

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:13 am

That's great Willem! :)

Alright, back to Billy Joel, 'Just the way you are' is mostly played in C3 and C4 (righthand)! ;)

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

AndyT wrote:

Well I find very important to know real pitches,,maybe for practicing melody/vocal but now my keyboard is moved from the loft I think I use that for it and 'm also glad were my middle C is,,,all confusing are gone so I have more space in my head...lol

Thank you genius...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic