Collaboration of Big Yellow Taxi

skaladar

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Good gawd, it’s taken me since New Years to get through all these great videos. Not because I’ve been especially busy but because I keep watching them over and over.
I’m so glad you folks got together and were able to share all the fun with us here. It does a heart good to see everyone participating and having so much fun.
Well done by all involved. You sure got my New Year off to a great start!

Thanks again for sharing,

♫ Ken ♫

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks to all for the your encouragement, this kind of collaboration series reminds me of "Reality Shows" :silly:

suziko wrote:
... I know Chris was working on that song prior, but did Marc and Pierre learn it for the get-together? ...
Hi Suzi, Marc and I met a few days prior, re-tuned to open D, and gave it a run-through.
I don't think it would have been possible without that minimum preparation, was a lot of fun, took me out of my comfort zone.
I have only one guitar and very rarely change the tuning, hope to get another this year, so ...

neverfoundthetime wrote:
... Some slightly "off" sounds there ... which we would have ironed out if we'd had more time.
Chris, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was me playing the electric bed-springs there, willing to bet it was. :side:
Yes, a bit more practice could have helped, but hey, it's all good, I can take it ... was fun !

Pierre

lueders

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for listening guys... I thought it only fitting to record a song from a Canadian artist. Yes it was in open D Suzi... although I'm not sure we all were, all the way through! Some slightly "off" sounds there :-) ... which we would have ironed out if we'd had more time.

Back to the Alps in a few hours time, farewell Canada and thanks for a great time!

Chris I didn't know you were still there...I guess my birthday cake comment didn't make too much sense then. (oh well I'm sure it wasn't keeping you up at night. lol!) Have a safe trip! Very good choice to bust out the Joni!! looked like a lot of fun once again.

Pierre, I like your attitude/outlook.

P.S. Is that how Joni does it? (Not that I think you should play it like or anything...lol None of my Beeswax. Most of the open tunings have VERY interchangeable intervallic relationships...and you chose D to suit your voice, no doubt. But for conversation sake, how does Joni do it? Open E? Or am I mistaken? That might of just been back in the day too, I dunno? just curious.)

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:20 pm

lueders wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
[

P.S. Is that how Joni does it? (Not that I think you should play it like or anything...lol None of my Beeswax. Most of the open tunings have VERY interchangeable intervallic relationships...and you chose D to suit your voice, no doubt. But for conversation sake, how does Joni do it? Open E? Or am I mistaken? That might of just been back in the day too, I dunno? just curious.)
She played various tunings amongst them something like Open Em, capo-ed various frets mostly 4th.

lueders

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Not to derail the thread anymore...but thank you for the info Chas.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Sorry to keep you up all New Year ken! Glad you went the whole hog ;-).

Pierre, who knows? Let's blame it on Marc as he's not in the room right now ;-).
What was the song we played with me at Capo 2 and you open.... but with the same chords? ;-)!

Cori, I believe we were playing pretty much in the same key and very close to the original which was in open D capo 2.
We were playing what this guy was playing (below) and he was accompanying the record:

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:04 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
very close to the original which was in open D capo 2.
At the Isle of Wight concert in 1970 she was capo-ed 4th fret and definitely in Open Em maybe with the G #. Later she played capo-ed at 2nd fret unsure of actual tuning though. I have seen her playing this without capo but the earliest version I have found was 4th fret.

lueders

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Okay, thanks guys very interesting. I do hope I didn't derail the thread. I have a bad habit of doing that lately.
It would be fun to look at several of her recordings and see how it it changed/changed over time. Maybe I'll see what I can find on the youtube...Chris, your way certainly sounds nice! This way does look like a good way for sure.

reiver

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:38 am

Hey guys - sorry for the tardiness, I've not been around lately but I think I finally managed to watch all of these collaboration videos now - how long did you hang out for, a week? :)

It was great to see you all getting together having fun and playing some great songs. Individually;

Chris - I guess - being the out-of-towner - you were the driving force behind making this work. Nice going. Great to hear you singing so well as well as showing some chops. Oh, and belated Happy Birthday!

Pierre - Good to see you playing so confidently. I've seen some real improvement in your playing over my time here at TG. You should be proud of that.

Al - surprised you didn't use the opportunity to try Give a Little Bit on Chris's 12-string! Or did I just miss that one. More great playing and ever more confident vocals.

Marc - good to see you back on TG again, Marc. You've been very quiet. Enjoyed hearing you play again.

Tammy - Where have you been? Would love to hear more of your singing.

And to those on backing vocals, camera work and catering - hearty congrats.

Stuart

tombo1230

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 am

wow! That was a zippy little number, I haven't heard that in years. Loved watching all the fun you guys were having over all the videos, just fantastic!

Chris was that a Martin you were playing the Big Yellow Taxi number on? It sure looked like a guitar I have, mines is the Sigma made for Martin in Japan I think.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic