Busking 3 or 4 Chord Songs

TGNesh

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:21 am

Gosh, another upload, you certainly have been 'working' hard Shel!! :P I have to say it's SO great to see some of your uploads again, its been a while I think. Glad that you're using your holidays for it!

And this is really a sweet 'little song' in every way. You're right, Sarah Jarosz is such a talented songwriter, she's got some great songs. Personally I réally like 'Edge Of A Dream'.

Another winner Shel, I'd say, keep it coming! :P

Ness

michelew wrote:
Hey Marc! It's great to hear from you. Thanks so much for your comments on my post. I didn't know the words before Nessa posted the lesson. But, I've been listening to the original a bit and I had the words in front of me which is why i appear to be reading at times. In front of the camera my mind often goes blank. Actually it didn't take very long at all to get it down. Absolutely no sweat for you Marc.

So I thought I'd throw another one up. I've got time at the moment so I'm taking advantage of being on holidays. Hmmmm...perhaps I should get rid of my t-shirt tan while I'm at it right!? B) :P It's still hot here.

This is Little Song by Sarah Jarosz. I really love her stuff. Vanessa has a great lesson on this one too. It's another fun one that's not too hard, four chords.

This will be the last one for a little while, well a few days at least. :) I don't want to wear out my welcome.

I hope you like it.

Shel

Lavallee

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:07 am

Hi Shel, sorry for the late reply. I really appreciate that you responded with another beautiful video. I know it has been said by many others but I really like your hands technique. No worries about your your tan :laugh: , in Canada everybody is white as a ghost at this time of the year. It is great to see that you enjoy summer. you can over do it.

Please send more videos, they are quite refreshing as all your posts

Marc

BobR

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Michele,

I am later than Marc :laugh: but I really enjoyed that one too. I think you've got the most 2015 video uploads so far (which is a real good thing :) :) )

Thanks
Bob

michelew

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:06 am

OThanks for all your sweet comments on Little Song. I've been asked to put this and future video posts onto a new thread as it gets lost in this monster thread and people don't know when a new video has been posted (as opposed to new comments on the same video). Jameela has suggested a possible fix to my upload issues so that might be resolved shortly.

Willem - thanks. It's a sweet song. It's nice to play too.

Chris - "Ness-like presence" WOW! I wish! That's one massive compliment. I'm sure trying to follow her example, and one day i hope to be worthy of it. It's a HUGH benchmark. Striving for the stars. :) but it's really nice to hear that you think I'm making so much progress.

Re: the classical hybrid, I'm finding that once I change the key of many songs to suit my voice I'm often playing close to the 12th feet or beyond. It's too awkward or impossible in my classical often. I'd like a nylon with 14 frets to the body, a cutaway, a 1 7/8 neck at the nut or similar, electronics AND a great sound plugged and unplugged. I know it's unlikely to have the same beautiful sound as my Hofner, but I'm still hoping I score the jackpot. I've seen some interesting ones on-line with good reviews, I just need to track them down and play them. I've found a new guitar store in working distance from my house, which appears to have quite a few hybrids. I intend to visit soon. Whether I'll be prepared to pay the price tag for the guitar that has everything I'm looking for is another story of course. But, I'm not in a huge rush because I already have two great guitars.

Daryl - thanks! 12 uploads in a few weeks. Haha! :D well I'll see what I can do in that respect. Today I haven't even pick up a guitar. I spent a fair chunk of time on the harbour looking at the beautiful view. We have a friend visiting from the other side of the country. We were off to a harbour beach destination for good gelato, and.... The ferry broke down in the middle of the harbour, so we were force to look at the gorgeous views on a beautiful day. :) lots of tourists were taking selfies. It's was sort of funny really. :) Will we see one from you soon?

michelew

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Sorry to take so long to respond. Thanks everyone.

Dean - thanks. Will you be posting your version anytime soon? My version changes quite often. For some reason I often forget the structure, so the chorus and Outro sections tend to change. But it's a very forgiving song.

Kev - thanks for your sweet comments on both of my uploads. You always put a smile on my face. I love the bassl lines too, especially in Naked as We Came. And I definitely learned how useful it is to leave fingers that will stay on a string where they are and slide where possible from Ness. It makes finding the next chord easier and smoother. As it happens I was sliding too far in general in this upload when going from the Dadd11 to A in Little Song. I think it was nerves. I often find I slide and then need to adjust as I'm playing. I actually learned that trick from Ness a long time ago now when she taught me Ice cream by Sarah McLaughlin. I've used it a lot since then.

Jim - thanks! Oowwwwww.... :) :blush: what a sweetie you are. It was great meeting you too. You absolutely cracked me up more than once. :) The whole PSGW experience is one that will stay with me.

Nessa - Thanks Teach! It's so great to hear all that from you. Thanks for teaching this beautiful song. Edge of a Dream really is lovely too. I will get back to it. I'm still trying to improve my speed on Runaway. :) if you're in the mood to teach another SJ number, I LOVE Build Me Up From Bones too.

Marc - thanks. It's never too late to hear such supporting and positive feedback. My hands, I do seem to have long fingers which works to my advantage and somewhere along the line I seemed to gravitate to the classical approach for holding the guitar. It may not look as cool as other approaches, but I do find it helps me to reach in many situations. I'm not sure how many more videos I'll do before going back to work. But, I do have a few on the list that I'd like to record if I get the chance. So there may be more on the way. :) thanks.

Bob - never too late. :) I'm glad you liked it. The most for 2015, yes you may be right. Well hopefully I won't hold that title for long and others will jump in and challenge me for the trophy. :) want to compete with me ? :)

daryl

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:05 pm

OK, I’ve met my music goal for 2015! Hooray.

Here’s a great campfire song. Four chords.

Sorry about the cut-off head. I was using an iPhone camera and couldn’t see where it was pointing while I was recording. I’ll have to figure out how to position it better next time. Yes, I’m playing the bass too.

I’ve been taking voice lessons…. ;-)

Runaround Sue
Dion and the Belmonts

D Bm G A7 (I vi IV V).....

Here's my story, sad but true
It's about a girl that I once knew
She took my love then ran around
With every single guy in town

Hey, hey..oooooohhhhh
Hey, hey..oooooohhhhh
Hey, hey..oooooohhhhh
Hey, hey..oooooohhhhh (repeat)

Ah, I should have known it from the very start
This girl will leave me with a broken heart
Now listen people what I'm telling you
A-keep away from-a Runaround Sue

I miss her lips and the smile on her face
The touch of her hand and this girl's warm embrace
So if you don't wanna cry like I do
A-keep away from-a Runaround Sue

G D G A7 (IV I IV V).....

Ah, she likes to travel around
She'll love you and she'll put you down
Now people let me put you wise
Sue goes out with other guys

Here's the moral of the story from the guy who knows
I fell in love and my love still grows
Ask any fool that she ever knew, they'll say
Keep away from-a Runaround Sue

Away
Keep away from this girl
I know what she’ll do
Keep away from Sue

G D G A7 (IV I IV V).....

Ah, she likes to travel around
She'll love you and she'll put you down
Now people let me put you wise
Sue goes out with other guys

Here's the moral of the story from the guy who knows
I fell in love and my love still grows
Ask any fool that she ever knew, they'll say
Keep away from-a Runaround Sue

Away
Keep away from this girl
I know what she’ll do
Keep away from Sue

willem

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:17 pm

That was real fun Daryl, I love songs with energy..

Okay now tell your story a bout the singin,,

You can put a mirror behind your iphone to see the video screen..

I got an ear worm...thx

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Nice one Daryl! Very up-beat and perfectly played. Timing is really crisp... wish I had timing like that!

michelew

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:31 pm

And the drought FINALLY breaks and everyone sighs.... Ahhhhhh.:) then cheers YEH! :silly: :laugh: :lol:

At last my busking buddy returns from... his non-posting hiatus.

That was a HEAP of fun and the bass was great too. Amazing how you were able to sound like so many different people. Those singing lessons are amaaaaazing. ;) we're do I sign up?

Loved it!

Welcome back. What a great way to kick off your 2015 resolution.

Shel

BobR

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Daryl,
Very nice, I was playing along. Thanks for posting the chords. O'h and nice singing, the lessons are paying off ;)
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic