Collaboration of Shape Of My Heart

daryl

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
daryl wrote:
I just bought my "new" 2003 Martin from a local used guitar shop in Vermont. The store typically has junk but this guitar happened to come in the day before. It's a $1650 (list price) I bought for $425 with a hard shell case. I love it.
Wow, you got a great deal! Congratulations to you. It sounds really good in the video. I'm also curious about how you are recording it. Do you have a pick-up, or are you using a mic?

John, There was a recent thread that discussed lighting for video performances. You have good lighting in your videos. Do you do anything special for this? Is that a black-out curtain for your background?

Thanks!
Rick, No pick-up. Just a condenser mic and Reaper (DAW) with just a touch of equalization. I recorded 2 takes (one panned hard left the other panned hard right). I don't know if John did anything else to my audio.

Ness, Buddy, and anyone else I may have missed: Thank you all for your very kind words. It's always a joy to collaborate with John.

JHall

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Same here... thanks again for all the positive support.

The only audio processing I did was to add a subtle plate reverb to all tracks so they sound like they are in the same room, slight compression to all tracks, panned lead vocal slightly left, backing vocal harder right.

Hydroman52, I used a Chromakey (green-screen) effect to get the overlay effect. Since Daryl's video was shot in 4:3 aspect ratio, using a 16:9 aspect ratio for the final video provided a large black area for me to drop my overlay into. For lighting, I use an old set of halogen construction lights that I had in the garage from when I built a shed in the backyard (worked a lot at night). Anyway, here's a picture of the setup I used for this video. The studio boom is new but the rest I've used in other videos here on TG. Also, word to the wise... studio booms make it much more likely for one to hit one's head on the mic if you're not careful... ask me how I know!

John Image

dekotaj

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:30 am

WOW, Gentleman what a great sound.

Mr.JHall-What can I say, FANTASTIC Vocals!!!!

Daryl,First I was envious of your playing! And now I'm envious of your deal making $425.That's why Martin start making guitars.So folks like you would play them!!!Simply stunning guitar work!!

BRAVO!!
Kev

P.S.Sorry took so long for this reply.I keep watching you guys perform,and forgot to respond.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic