An attempt at Doolin-Dalton by The Eagles

cosmicmechanic

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Nice going, Jason ... can you believe this song title was erased from my memory, I actually had to look it up on YouTube :side:
Brought back a whole lot of memories along with the song, there. Thanks for getting me to rediscover it ... keep at it, looking forward to what's next.

Pierre

Hydroman52

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Hydro: I started this one a long time ago when I was first getting into transcribing. Tried playing it without a capo at first and then realized, once again, the E/G# is the specific reason that the Capo was invented....

Which version(s) of the B7 is your go to on this one? Out of the G it seems easier to go to the 1st position B7, but out of the D in the bridge, the barre chord style sounds a bit more accurate (at least to my ear, which is still in serious training). Also, at the point where the song goes to "lay down your law books now, they're no damn good", I played that from A to C to G, but I think it may be A to C with a little run or another chord to G.... Have not ironed that part out yet, so I just hit two quick strums on the C before going to G and it was O.K....
MJ

I tried to play the entire Desperado album (yes . . . every song including that bluegrassy one "Twenty-One") in 1973 when it first came out. I was just a kid in high school and was very passionate about playing the guitar. Unfortunately, no one around me wanted to play this kind of stuff, so that left it to just the three of us . . . . me, myself, and I. In 1975, I saw the Eagles when they opened for the Rolling Stones, and they played a number of songs from the Desperado album. I do believe they played this one. It was a great experience.

I play this one without a capo (Key of G), because I can't sing high enough with the capo at the second (Key of A) . . . . . . and that takes care of a capo getting in the way when playing the B7 at the first fret. I always play the B7 at the first fret. As far as the "lay down your law books now, they're no damn good" from A to C to G . . . . I agree with Vanessa. Play the A, strum the C (down) twice, strum the G (down) once. However, the other places the where the A, C, G progression is played . . . . I do it a little differently. I add passing notes all the way through it. I usually play one or two other strings adjacent to the passing note string to give it a fuller tone. Then I make the strum a bit syncopated. Kind of hard to describe exactly. Another thing that I think makes it sound more interesting and full is to add the G bass note to the C chord when you strum it. You get a deeper more haunting bottom end (this is a haunting song). Also, try adding a D note (second string third fret) to the G7 to give it a fuller tone. This probably isn't true to the album, but I think it sounds better.

After seeing the Eagles play live, I realized that they put much more of an edge on their music, and got a bit more loose with their interpretation than the album versions. Check out the guy below . . . I'm stealing some of his strumming patterns. It sure doesn't sound anything like the album, lyrics are all wrong, and many chords just aren't normal. But it is J.D. Souther, and he did co-write the song. So, I guess, he has free license to be creative in whatever way he wants. It's a good lesson in how much you can change the song to keep it new and still leave it recognizable in a very good way. You might get some ideas for where to put some passing notes and hammer-ons here.

It really should be against the law for guys like this to have all that talent.

Go for the singing. Like bassman Jerry says . . . . "Singing is like playing an additional instrument."

Hydroman52

tombo1230

Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Hydro!

What a cool vid! :)

I've known this song for a véry looooong time, but never heard it by J.D. Souther and certainly not like this, but I thought it was quite cool and shows how you can kinda twist and turn such a song, thanks!

Ness

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am

Great to see another vid from you MJ!

Nice light touch on the strings.

Thanks for the peek.

skaladar

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 am

Hi Jason, sorry for not getting to this sooner.

It’s great to see you posting what you’re working on more frequently. I’m glad you took the time to work on your A/V setup so you’re more comfortable with it. Especially if that makes you more at ease with posting videos.

I can only echo any advice you’ve gotten about keeping the camera running when possible. When practical I record practice sessions even when I am first getting though a song and then at various stages as I progress. Watching a playback of yourself is a great tool for seeing what you need to focus on from a different perspective. The added benefit is when it comes to recording something you would like to post, having the camera rolling far less distracting.

I recall that I found playing and moving to a B7 a little awkward at first. Perhaps that’s because it not as common as many of the other open chords. Not to worry though. Soon enough it will click, it will feel more natural and it will become second nature.

I also agree that it would be great to see the vocals added. IMO you’re certainly ready. I like to start to get the vocals incorporated as soon as possible by easing into it. Humming the melody at first and then adding parts, even if it means repeating a verse or two because I don’t have all the lyrics committed to memory. This may be contrary to the “play it until you can play it in your sleep before you attempt singing” school of thought but it works for me and often makes practice more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing this and I look forward to your next installment.

♫ Ken ♫

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Pierre: Thanks for taking a peek... :) My youngest son's name is Dalton and he loves this song. He asked me to learn it, so this is the result so far... B)

Hydro: That was a sweet version that I had never seen before. I loved it, thanks!

Al: Thanks, it has been a fun road so far, and I am hoping to keep moving forward in this area.... B)

Ken: Good advice about leaving the camera running. I just need to find the DC cable, so the batteries don't keep dying on me.... :P It is indeed eye opening to watch yourself, and notice things you had no idea you were doing. The B7 is getting easier all the time, I am happy with it's status in comparison to a few months ago. Vocals are scary for me, but I do plan on taking the plunge. Especially after Ness' kick-ass cover of Seven Bridges Road in the 3/4 chord thread. That sounded so awesome. I might even have one of my wife's friends sing sometime. She has two of them that love to go sing karaoke from time to time and they sing very nicely. They have been prodding me to play for them sometime, but I have still been reluctant. I have to admit that I am further along than I thought I would be, and that makes me happy.... :)

MJ

MarkM

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Jason,

Apologies for getting to this one late as I was a bit preoccupied last week and it took me all weekend to recover. This was nice surprise to come back to. You've got some nice advice so far. Very nice strumming with a light touch. Can't get much better with that. If you were singing then the same strum pattern wouldn't matter much. Apart from that the only thing I would add is break up the chords a bit. Meaning focus a bit on the bass strings from some of the down strokes and then focus a bit more on the treble strings on the up strokes. That may make is sound a bit different even though you are keeping the same pattern. Nice job MJ!!!! Now you just have to sing it. Hey if I can do it, being probably the worst singer on the site, then you can for sure. I mean I'm the poster child for bad singing and have the bar set real low for you to leap over.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:45 pm

MarkM wrote:
Now you just have to sing it. Hey if I can do it, being probably the worst singer on the site, then you can for sure. I mean I'm the poster child for bad singing and have the bar set real low for you to leap over.

MarkM
You sing just fine Mark, and if you think you have the bar set low, then you have not seen my vertical leap.... :woohoo: Did you ever hear of a move called "White Men Can't Jump"???? :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words, and sorry you did not have more free time over there from business.... Glad you made it back safe!

MJ

Hydroman52

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey MJ,

Thought you might be interested in this. Be warned . . . Glenn Frey drops the F-Bomb at the end, so it gets a PG rating for that . . . . sorry.

Hydroman52

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Hey MJ,

Thought you might be interested in this. Be warned . . . Glenn Frey drops the F-Bomb at the end, so it gets a PG rating for that . . . . sorry.

Hydroman52
That was cool! Nice cameo by my favorite artist in there too (Jackson Browne).... :laugh: I love these old behind the scenes stories. That is one of my favorite parts about Neil's lessons too, the info he adds in there. There are some cool stories out there behind some of the best music.... B)

Thanks Hydro!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic