An attempt at Doolin-Dalton by The Eagles

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 am

Hey everyone....

I uploaded this to my YT channel last night and not to the Busking thread, because it is really in it's beginning stages and also I had not gone back and read the instructions well enough. Sorry.... I am hoping to redo this song sometime soon and add vocals in. I am not yet at a point where I am comfortable singing (may not ever get there...lol). I am really not overly comfortable playing either, but I am taking some of Dennis' advice and trying to do it until the nerves fade away.... B)

I love playing this song. I play it with a capo II and not III normally, but I am tuned down 1/2 step for some other stuff. Mostly very easy chords with the exception of a B7 thrown in there. This song used to be a bit more difficult for me, until I re-learned how to play the G chord Neil's way. It really did make the switch from G to G7 to C much easier. Thanks for that Neil!

Oh, my typical bobble-head guitar playing is on display in this one, as well as a couple of blunders toward the end, but I am posting anyway..... :)

MJ

daryl

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 am

I think you're ready for the Busking Threads. Sounded good to me. Nice smooth strumming. The problem with capos is that they sometimes get in the way - like when one goes for the 1st position B7 chord. You might want to try a barred B7 (224242) but the voicing may not be right for this song....

suziko

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:11 am

Hey Jason! That was really nice and you looked completely comfortable playing it. I have no doubt that you could now put the vocals to this song and play along while singing. We've heard your singing voice from your guitar contest entry, and I remember it being very pleasant- so why be shy? You won't find a more supportive crowd than the people here.

So let's see some more!

:)

Suzi

willem

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 am

Yes Jason that B7,,nasty to grip with the capo in area,,,maybe i have a suggestion put the fingers down in order you need them(it helped me)..for the rest it sounded good..

W.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:31 am

Great stuff Jason! I agree with Suzi... you should go for the vocals... remember.... Image

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:32 am

daryl wrote:
I think you're ready for the Busking Threads. Sounded good to me. Nice smooth strumming. The problem with capos is that they sometimes get in the way - like when one goes for the 1st position B7 chord. You might want to try a barred B7 (224242) but the voicing may not be right for this song....
Daryl:

Thanks! I have tried the alternate B7 (A7 style moved up two frets), but it did sound a little less correct. Not too bad though, always an option. In fact, it does sound a bit better in the bridge part right after the D chord.... I usually play it that way there, but just froze last night... :P

MJ

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:40 am

Suzi: As always, you are so nice.... :) I remember that entry, and how strange it was to sing..... I have a few other songs I am hoping to get up shortly. I will try vocals on one or two of them to see how I do. I wish I had half of your presence while playing... If I remember correctly, you almost missed your chair on one occasion and still looked cool as a cucumber doing it.... ;) Some folks just have it!

Willem: The B7 is getting easier and easier. At least coming from the G chord as Neil taught us. Coming out of the D chord in the bridge is a bit more difficult and why I usually play it the other way when I don't freak out.... :woohoo:

Chris: Thanks Chris... :) I so love that pic.... Good advice to apply to many a thing, especially the guitar and this site. Like Suzi says, this site is about as supportive a place as one could hope for. As far as vocals, I will work on that and hopefully challenge myself a bit more this year. It is something I truly want to accomplish, so the fight goes on.... ;)

MJ

dennisg

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Jason,

Among the many things you do here that I really like is to emphasize the first beat of a measure. It's amazing how many times that advice has been given to people and how rarely it sinks in. But you seem to have absorbed it completely. Your strumming is nice and smooth and seems to stay on tempo. One thing I might suggest is to vary your strum a bit -- don't always make it the same in every measure. Leave a strum out occasionally. Double some into eighth notes. This is just the fine tuning stuff that will make what is an already solid strumming ability even more compelling. Great job.

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 pm

dennisg wrote:
Jason,

Among the many things you do here that I really like is to emphasize the first beat of a measure. It's amazing how many times that advice has been given to people and how rarely it sinks in. But you seem to have absorbed it completely. Your strumming is nice and smooth and seems to stay on tempo. One thing I might suggest is to vary your strum a bit -- don't always make it the same in every measure. Leave a strum out occasionally. Double some into eighth notes. This is just the fine tuning stuff that will make what is an already solid strumming ability even more compelling. Great job.
Dennis:

Solid advice... :) I get SO stuck in a rut strumming wise sometimes. It is all I can do to get out of the D DU UDU most of the time that I was lucky to get what I got here.... :P There are a few songs that I have in the pipeline that require some differing strum patterns and I am fighting that beast right now with them. I figure that it will get better with time and the more I relax in front of the camera. I appreciate the kind words... B)

MJ

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm

MJ,

Wow! This is timely . . . . . . I just auditioned this song at our Feb 1st rehearsal to see if we wanted to pick it up. At last night's rehearsal, we gave it the green light, so we elevate it to the next level of actually putting time into it. One of my favorite songs from one of my all-time favorite albums. Good choice, good job on it. Let me know if you want to compare notes on it sometime.

Are you doing any more from the Desperado album? I plan on auditioning a few more from the album in the near future.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic