An attempt at Doolin-Dalton by The Eagles

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
MJ,

Wow! This is timely . . . . . . I just auditioned this song at our Feb 1st rehearsal to see if we wanted to pick it up. At last night's rehearsal, we gave it the green light, so we elevate it to the next level of actually putting time into it. One of my favorite songs from one of my all-time favorite albums. Good choice, good job on it. Let me know if you want to compare notes on it sometime.

Are you doing any more from the Desperado album? I plan on auditioning a few more from the album in the near future.

Hydroman52
Hydro: I started this one a long time ago when I was first getting into transcribing. Tried playing it without a capo at first and then realized, once again, the E/G# is the specific reason that the Capo was invented.... :P

Which version(s) of the B7 is your go to on this one? Out of the G it seems easier to go to the 1st position B7, but out of the D in the bridge, the barre chord style sounds a bit more accurate (at least to my ear, which is still in serious training). Also, at the point where the song goes to "lay down your law books now, they're no damn good", I played that from A to C to G, but I think it may be A to C with a little run or another chord to G.... Have not ironed that part out yet, so I just hit two quick strums on the C before going to G and it was O.K.... :unsure:

Fun song!

As far as other songs from Desperado, I also like to play Tequila Sunrise, but have not worked on any of the others yet.. :)

Thanks!

MJ

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Jason, Nice job I watched this on YT last night and was wondering whether it would end up here. Good strumming throughout, mixing it up as Dennis suggests will come once the muscle memory really kicks in and nerves diminish. I have exactly the same issue as you I believe in regards to singing, others have said I don't sound too bad but thats not the issue with me I don't like what I actually hear when I sing. Maybe with this one you get the harmonica out... like the original Eagles version :laugh: {as if that is gonna be easy ;) )

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Jason, Nice job I watched this on YT last night and was wondering whether it would end up here. Good strumming throughout, mixing it up as Dennis suggests will come once the muscle memory really kicks in and nerves diminish. I have exactly the same issue as you I believe in regards to singing, others have said I don't sound too bad but thats not the issue with me I don't like what I actually hear when I sing. Maybe with this one you get the harmonica out... like the original Eagles version :laugh: {as if that is gonna be easy ;) )
Chas:

Thanks kind sir.... :)

You are quite right. When I sing, I don't mind the sound in my head, but when I listen to the playback, I cringe something fierce.... :blink: I have been eyeballing a nice set of harmonicas at my local store, but will probably not take the plunge for a while, as it is all I can do to strum right now. My next goal is to be able to sing a bit and feel o.k. with it.

MJ

dekotaj

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 pm

HEY HEY HEY Jason.BRAVO!!BRO

Nothing wrong with that!Play the heck out of them!Like big D said,keep pounding away at them.Just keep posting.It get easier the more you do it.The guitar sounds great,Strumming is good.Heck might as well sing'm to.I promise you cant sing worse the me.

Have fun with them.Heck, took the time to learn'm.We enjoy watching,so blaze a trail.

Kevin

buddy

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 pm

You are ready my friend as you have this song way down the road. I can't wait to hear you sing it with reckless abandon !

Bud

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Aaaaah Jason, that was great!! :cheer:

Well it's all been said already, maybe vary the strum a bit and SING! :P

And what a great choice of song, I só love it, every since I was a kid. It's actually the only song that I sometimes play trying the harmonica along with, haha! :laugh:

Well done Jason!!

cheers

Ness

btw. The A going to C (strum C twice) and G is correct! ;)

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Kevin: Thanks bro! I most certainly could be worse than you! I loved your post this morning! I like the idea of this getting easier though.... ;)

Buddy: My singing would probably be well described as reckless..... :silly: I appreciate the encouragement, hopefully I can get the voice in gear.

Ness: Ah Lady, you are most kind... :) Sometimes, when I do sing, the strum gets varied on it's own, because I forget what I am doing... ;) I would love to see your cover including the harmonica. I am fascinated by folks that can pull that off. I have a whole new respect for people that can play and sing these days. It is much harder than I had anticipated. At least it is for me.... :) Thanks for the support on the little transition there as well. I was a little unsure of it. I feel better now! So many of the Eagles songs are great fun to play and sing. I really enjoy playing Lyin' Eyes whenever I can. Long song, but such a great tune. Maybe one of these days.... B)

MJ

lueders

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

JACE!! Nice DUDE! :) :) :) This was a treat to get to see you! !! So glad you posted. :) :)
And comm'on, let's face it you gotta like any song about the Wild Bunch... ;)

You're a darn good strummer!! frankly, I'm greedy!! I wanna see more of your stuff!! Honestly I dunno why
you don't post more. (Modesty? Simply your own worst critic?...well you definitely have the ability.) I would just like to reiterate
everything Kevin had to say. I don't think anyone could of said it any better than that.

I agree about varying strumming occasionally. But, hell that's just secondary/ fine-tuning and that 'll fall into place for ya...you got the hard part down already. (That's what I got from what Dennis was saying and I agree.)

Great Job!! You're sounding great!! You're helluva of a nice guy! Everybody likes ya...So post more will ya?
(I said that a little more bluntly than Kevin...but it all means the same! lol)

Really Enjoyed it!!

Cori

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:53 pm

lueders wrote:
JACE!! Nice DUDE! :) :) :) This was a treat to get to see you! !! So glad you posted. :) :)
And comm'on, let's face it you gotta like any song about the Wild Bunch... ;)

You're a darn good strummer!! frankly, I'm greedy!! I wanna see more of your stuff!! Honestly I dunno why
you don't post more. (Modesty? Simply your own worst critic?...well you definitely have the ability.) I would just like to reiterate
everything Kevin had to say. I don't think anyone could of said it any better than that.

I agree about varying strumming occasionally. But, hell that's just secondary/ fine-tuning and that 'll fall into place for ya...you got the hard part down already. (That's what I got from what Dennis was saying and I agree.)

Great Job!! You're sounding great!! You're helluva of a nice guy! Everybody likes ya...So post more will ya?
(I said that a little more bluntly than Kevin...but it all means the same! lol)

Really Enjoyed it!!

Cori
LMAO.... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Cori: Modesty has nothing to do with it really. It is most specifically a fear of the camera. Hell, I get nervous trying to sing if my wife is in the room and SHE LOVES ME!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) You should be seeing more from me here in the next few weeks/months, as I am feeling pretty good about the A/V situation thanks to help from some of the awesome members here. Now I just need to sort through the pile of songs I have for the ones I am most comfortable with now. It is amazing how my song book has exploded over the past year. I was so single minded in transcribing, that I never REALLY practiced the songs, but just got them written out and then moved on to the next one. My wish list for songs to learn is just flat NEVER ENDING..... I am sure most people here can relate to that. There are just so many damn good songs out there. I have stuff in the works from a variety of popular and unpopular artists.... REO Speedwagon, Eddie Rabbitt, Eagles, Great White, Thin Lizzy, Blackfoot, Neil Young, ELP, Night Ranger, Christopher Cross, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and so on...... Throw in a lot of country music and even a few R&B and even some metal...... I just need to stay with a song long enough to get it down.... ;)

Thanks dude!

Have fun tonight!

MJ

BobR

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Jason,

Very nice and well done. :)

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic