Busking Motown

dennisg

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm not sure what it is about Motown music that I find so incredibly engaging. Maybe it's the sheer innocence of the lyrics. Maybe it's the incredible melodies and arrangements the best of the breed exhibits. Maybe it was the fabulous musicianship you'll find in these songs.

Whether it's just one of these things or all of them, Motown has has had a grip on me for almost 50 years. Of course, I'm not alone in this: white American and British rock bands just ate it up, witness the preponderance of Motown hits on early Beatles records. I just love performers like the Temptations, Four Tops, Supremes, Marvin Gay, Sam Cooke ... and Otis Redding. Otis had a monster hit in the mid-'60s with "Dock of the Bay," which I happen to think isn't anywhere near his best song. I've always been partial to "I've Been Loving You Too Long" for the beautiful expression of its longing for love.

The word "Motown," for those of you in other countries, derives from "Motor Town," which is what Detroit is known as, since it's the home of the American auto industry. It's also the home of one of the most creative movements in music the world has ever seen.

So, here we have it -- my little tribute to Motown and Otis Redding. Wally, as usual, makes his Hitchcockian cameo appearance.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Wow Dennis. That's one mighty tough song to sing and play and you did a great job. I tip my hat to you.

sws626

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm

That was awsome. I love this music and hope you've started something with this thread.
-Stuart

willem

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Its one day to early Dennis but i am glad it aint friday the 13th..

Thanks,,,or did'nt you do it for us?? :laugh: B)

W.

EDIT: I'm dancing in the street now.

MarkM

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Dennis that was just total enjoyment!!! You never cease to amaze me. Playing sounded great and I just loved your vocals. Congratulations on a job well done!!!!

MarkM

tombo1230

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Dennis that was just so coooooooool! Enjoyed everything about that. Well done!

I'm off to listen to some more Mowtown.

Thanks for posting.

Tom N.

michelew

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Den,

Another home run! You're a master at taking what seems to be a fairly simple arrangement and turning it into an expression-fest.

I love Motown too, you just can't resist being moved by it; most of the time literally, heart. Body and soul. And Otis sure has some gorgeous songs all by himself.

Well as you know, I've now got me quite a few versions of this great song (including the Stones). I'm adding yours to the collection - pride of place.

I love the changes in playing style that allow you to build up the tension, your vocals are so expressive all by themselves (loving, tender, yearning, ...), your cedar top is Gorgeous sounding, gorgeous looking, gorgeous sounding...

Thanks for bringing some gorgeous gutsy soul into my morning.

I'm loving' the things you do.

Love

Shel

buddy

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Dennis, Yes another Motown lover ! Wonderful rendition and I love how you arranged this tune. Very challenging vocal range in this as well which you nailed.

Bud

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Dennis:

Another great obscurity.... :) Love being introduced, or re-familiarized with songs that I have either never heard or completely forgotten about. I always look forward to what you are going to come up with next.... B) I hope you decide to cover Seven Bridges Road even though Ness did already... Would really like to see your take on it as well.... ;)

Nice job on picking, strumming and singing!

MJ

skaladar

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Hey Dennis,

That was an excellent performance. You’re playing and singing was thoroughly enjoyable. I also got a kick out of your narrative. Good reading!

Motown certainly has given us many fine talents and lots of good music not to mentions it’s influence on the evolution of today’s music. I hope you’ve struck a vein with this Busking thread. I’d love to see and hear more Motown.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

♫ Ken ♫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic