Busking Motown

schm040

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Dennis,

I wish I could sing and play at the same time like that. Something about being able to combine the two together like you did is what makes this so nice to listen to.

Thank you for reminding me that fast is always necessaryt and to take it easy sometimes.

Matt

BobR

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Dennis,

Mighty fine performance and very enjoyable to listen to.

Bob

Craig

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Dennis,
Loved it! Your vocals were great! The variations in your playing really made the song come alive. Some of the chord changes in this song (like the switch to the barred F for example) really grab me, very cool. Well done!

Craig

dennisg

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:40 pm

I meant to mention in my intro that this song first came onto my radar about six months ago after hearing it on the radio. I played with it for a couple of days, then sang it for Michele on a skype session. She was so enthused about it, I vowed to record it -- then promptly forgot all about it until this morning. Sorry, Michele.

Daryl: Thanks so much. Very nice of you to say.

Stuart: So nice to hear from you. Yeah, I agree ... I'd love it if a bunch of people posted Motown songs. As for me, I'm hoping this won't be my last one.

Willem: Haha, were you thinking that this was a Valentine's Day present? I wish I were that clever to have thought of saving it for tomorrow. On the other hand, it is tomorrow already for Michele and Chas.

Mark: I really appreciate it, Mark. This was a fun one.

Tom: I hope you do more than just listen to some Motown music ... like maybe post some of it. Thanks for the comment.

Shel: Funny to hear an ozzie gull use the term "home run," given how American it is -- but I loved hearing it from you anyway. Your comments are always so sweet and enthusiastic that, for a brief moment, I actually feel like a competent musician. So thanks for that. I'm so happy that I played this for you months ago, because without your great support, this song would have completely disappeared from my consciousness. You're right that the guitar's top looks like cedar, but it's actually redwood.

Buddy: Can a Motown hit be far off in your future? I'd love to hear one.

Jason: I agree. I love it when people bring new or forgotten songs to the site. It's always fun to expand my horizons.

Ken: That's a great point you made about Motown's influence on popular music. It's massive. Thanks for stopping by.

Matt: I really only play the guitar to give my hands something to do while I sing. I fill a lot of time by grabbing the guitar, warbling out a song, and entertaining myself. And, yeah, when it comes to music -- Motown especially -- sometimes slow really is nice.

Bob: Always nice to hear from you. Thanks so much.

Craig: Funny, I know what you mean by the variations in my playing, but that's rarely something I ever think about when I'm arranging a song. Maybe because I'm a writer and I craft stories so that they build continue to build in intensity as they move along that I'm also able to apply it to song arrangements on some subconscious level. I always appreciate and enjoy your comments. Thanks.

dekotaj

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey Big D,

WOW.You made me feel that one.BRAVO BRAVO!!!!

Every time i see you,you have a new guitar.You got a factory out back.Or just looking for the right one?I say for sure keep that one,great tone.

BRAVO D!!

Kev

cosmicmechanic

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Dennis, you are clearly in your element here ... no (figuratively) holding your breath or pinching your nose for sure ... playing, breathing and singing fully :cheer:

Very simply expressive, musically and vocally. Man this is such a good performance that an interlude with a brass section would only be gravy on top.
I've watched it five times consecutively, will look some more.

The general tone and rhythm of this song tempted me to request a song, but I decided not to bother you with that, I'm sure that you have plenty of projects already planned.
So anyway, it's obvious that you're a boy who's intentions are good ... I just hope that you won't be misunderstood ;) B)

Pierre

Edit: You mentioned you dog Wally's "Hitchockian" video walkthrough ... that would be an interesting name for a new breed ... quiick, run to the patent office !

Lavallee

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 am

Dennis, it was interesting to see a video of you playing a smooth song . You did very well with the pick. I think Motown is more about singing than playing (which you do very well), you need the (soul) voice to do these, and it suits you very well.

Marc

Yamaha48

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:53 am

Hello my drear friend.

Good to see this video,and thanks for sharing.
I like the good old day's from Motown,a great label.

cheers from Holland Anton

cosmicmechanic

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:00 am

Well that smile at the end really met mine when watching this vid.....that was really heartfelt.....beautiful song, didn't know it, it'll likely remain in my memory as yóur song instead of Otis', you've peformed it very well and with the right intensity....

Thanks for explaining some more about Motown, since I never really got it, haha!

Very very great to see and hear you again Den, yeah and Wally, haha, what a sweet little fella! :) :) :)

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 am

Nice one Dennis! Did you hear that on some evening Radio Paradise stint? It was new to me too. I thought you got your plugged in set up just right this time. I think that arpeggio is deceptively more difficult to do with a pick. All set for the open mic with that one?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic