Busking Motown

dennisg

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 am

Well, it's about time someone revived this thread, and I'm happy it was you, Stu. This is a song I haven't thought about in a long, long time, but I'm glad you chose it. As always, your musicianship was excellent and your voice -- unaccented as it was -- was perfect for this.

daryl

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 am

Stuart very well done. Nice harp playing.

michelew

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:29 am

You sure have skills Stuart. Nice relaxed playing, warm sexy voice, sharp picking and super cool harp; all at once no less.

You've created a soulful, melancholy feel.

Yesssss..... SO much to be unhappy with. Well you should ignore your inner critic, they need a reality check. It was great as far as I could hear.

Nice addition to this thread. Oh and the cure to being unhappy with an upload is to do another one. ;) just don't ever repeat that back to me. :)

I really enjoyed it.

Shel

boldent

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 am

Stuart, this is nicely done. I've been working on this song for a couple of months now, and I really like your version of it. You gave it a good clean-fun-folk sound. Adding in the harmonica gave it an additional punch, great job.

I'm glad you posted it and didn't hold back.

MarkM

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:02 am

Stuart I really enjoyed that. You set my Monday up nice with this. I've got to tell you I'm really impressed with your harmonica playing while you strum. I got the same harmonica contraption last year but haven't been able to make heads or tails of it. I guess I should start to focus more on it. Anyway I though your guitar was sounding extra sweek on this performance. Great job and thanks for posting.

MarkM

suziko

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Stuart,

I think this is one of my favorite videos from you yet. I loved how soulful your voice sounded, really liked the harp bits and liked the guitar accompaniment. I hadn't heard this song before, but I now love it. Thank you for introducing it to me!! As for your guitar, next time maybe you shouldn't have a slice of pizza right before sitting down to record! :)

If I can make a request, I'd love to see you do a traditional Scottish song at some point. It'd be nice to really hear your accent coming out more in the lyrics.

Suzi

willem

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Aaaaaaah so very nice Stuart, you just keep scoring hits what that harp and natural coolness of yours B) , really enjoyed it! Very much liked your singing as well, it suits you!

Thanks Stuart, great to see another vid from you!!!

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Great stuff Stuart! That's a real busking job complete with singing and mouthorgan. Really good sound quality coming from that professional mic. What's your guitar plugged into? I'd be dropping my money into the hat, for sure. Thanks for posting!

BobR

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi Stuart,

You might not have been happy with it , but I thought you did a terrific job. I loved it all, The Guitar, the harp, the lead, the singing, Great job.

Bob

reiver

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm

A big thanks to everyone who has watched and commented - I feel very lucky to be part of such a friendly and supportive community.

Kevin - very glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the nice words for my guitar. I think I've had it for around a year now and I never get tired of the way it looks - and it sounds great too. I wish I could replicate that better on my recordings but I'm working on it. Still wish I'd polished it up a bit!

Jim - thanks for watching and commenting!

Marc - happy to be seeing you around here a bit more often and glad you enjoyed watching. More on the solo later in the thread!

Pierre - very much looking forward to seeing you play those harps in the not too distant future. It's a lot of fun. I'd recommend starting with no rack and no guitar - just play them, find out where the scale is and then start playing some simple melodies.......nursery rhymes, anything, 'til you get used to finding those notes. Also - you'll be less likely to drop them!

Craig - very kind of you to watch and comment so positively again. And, since you were first to ask, you get the full answer as to why I was unhappy with the video. Firstly, I should say that I wasn't unhappy with everything about it. There were actually things that I was quite pleased about - even (and whisper it!) the vocal, which is usually what I don't like about my videos. The two things which were almost enough to stop me posting were the solo and the harmonica outro. The solo that I wanted to play is far less a "lead" solo and more a chord solo. It has a bit more strumming and more double string playing to create a more interesting sound. I didn't necessarily mess it up with the solo I played - it just wasn't what I wanted and I played it safe. This was the easier option. The harp outro, again, had nothing particularly wrong with it - but I'd intended to play a far more melancholic and simpler version which didn't just mimic the intro. Whether these would have actually been improvements we'll never know - but they are in my head. Maybe I should record them as little separate entities which everyone can imagine slotted into the song and decide for themselves. Sorry for rambling but I did want to explain what had caused me to pause before posting.

(other) Stuart - thanks for the kind words and good to see you posting again too.

Abilio - it doesn't surprise me to hear that Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee have covered this, it very quickly felt like a blues-y song as soon as I started working on it, hence the harmonica. Glad to hear I'm not the only one to have misplaced the polish :)

Willem - I'm very happy to hear that you'll be playing along. I've learned a lot of new stuff by doing just that with other members posts. It seems a fun and easy way to pick up some new songs.

Dennis - glad you liked it and happy to get the thread moving again. I'm not sure where the accent goes. It's not really something I think about when I'm singing, I've already got far too many other things going on in my head, I don't need another! Thanks for the support again.

Daryl - glad you liked it. Like I said, it ticked all the boxes for the other thread - it had far fewer than 6 chords! :)

Michele - you almost had me blushing :) Really glad you liked it. I shall take your advice and start looking for my next project.

boldent - I always find it a bit of a worry when I find out that someone has been working on something I post, or I post someone's favourite song! I'm very glad I didn't ruin it for you. Thanks for watching and the kind words.

Mark - good to hear you're looking at playing harmonica. I'm far from an expert but I'd recommend following the advice I gave to Pierre (above) and breaking yourself in gently. Thanks a lot for your generous comments.

Suziko - you should have seen my side of the microphone..........COVERED in cheese. I shall take your request under advisement................but maybe you should try not being sassy right before you make such a request! :P

Vanessa - You are definitely responsible for raising the bar around here - in the quality even of busking videos - so it makes me very happy to know that you enjoyed watching.

Chris - thanks for the kind words. My guitar and mic are both plugged into a Roland Tri-capture and I record onto Cakewalk Sonar, the Roland DAW. Here is a link for the tri-capture;
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... uctId=1156

Bob - thanks a lot for watching and the kind words

Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic