Busking Motown

michelew

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:36 pm

dennisg wrote:
So sorry, everyone, for dragging this thread back to the top. I just wanted to thank to the two remaining people who posted after my last thank-yous went out.

To that I say HA!, ridiculous! Why are you apologizing for your video coming to the top when you are responding to preople's comments, which everyone likes to see.

Besides in my humble opinion it's always good when video threads resurface in case people haven't seen them, it also reminds those of us that loved them the first time to watch them again.

So - Bump! B) :P :kiss: :kiss:

reiver

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:44 pm

This video has caused me a few days of contemplation - not least of which was whether to post it at all. I'm not really very happy with it, but we're just busking............right? It was written and recorded by Sam Cooke in the early 60's and the original has Lou Rawls singing backing. I'm sure you all know it - if you don't I'd urge you to check out the original. Those guys could sing a bit.

Also, I wasn't entirely sure where to post it. It would certainly fit into the "3-4 chords" thread, but as I was inspired to go out and learn it following Dennis's upload I reckon it'll do here. I know it's not very Motown, but Dennis does mention Sam Cooke in his intro so I reckon this is as good a place as any.

And I suppose right here is the answer to Kevin's question about everyone polishing their guitar before recording!

Stuart

ps - I'm aware that the song should be called Bring it on Home to Me, I believe I misnamed at the beginning of the video.

dekotaj

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey:That by far was the best 2:52 I seen today.Just so very enjoyable hearing you sing and play.And what a stunning guitar.Great shine.BRAVO Stuart BRAVO!!

Kevin

PS,Sam Cooke and old man river.FANTASTIC!!What a singer.

jimcjimc

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Stuart,
Thanks for posting! And contemplating! And posting!
Jim

Lavallee

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Stuart , very nice playing and signing. You also seem to be able to take the accent you want , lucky you. I particularly like the picking where you seem to be so much into it , cool attitude.

Love it

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Hey Stuart, seems you can channel Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, ... now I dunno who this most resembles, but it sure is real pleasant to hear.

Well done, I'm sure all of us were singing along with you, and your harmonica playing is a real inspiration.

I did some experimenting with some harps and a rack (harmonica holder) today. Got a cheap set of seven harps, and then lost count of the number of times I dropped them when unloading and reloading for different keys from song to song.

Instead playing the darn things, guess I better practice handling these cheap ones before I go dropping fifty dollar harps on the floor :side:

Pierre

Craig

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 am

Stuart,
I loved it! I thought your strumming was good, the little lead was cool, the vocals were solid, the harmonica adds a great deal to it. I'm not sure why you were contemplating posting this? It was very enjoyable. Well done.

Craig

sws626

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 am

Hey Stuart,

That was great and a lot of fun to listen to.

- (other) Stuart

abiliog

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:29 am

Stuart,
Great intro playing harp. Guitar and vocals keep the song in very pleasant melancholic feel.
I was trying to remember the first time I ever heard this song. It was some time ago and it was by the duet Sony Terry & Brownie McGee.
About polishing the guitar, lets say we are in the same team.
You did a great job Stuart, very solid.
Thanks for sharing and bring it on back to memory,
Abilio

willem

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 am

Really,really fine Stuart,,a favo of mine too and played along with you,,love the harp,,your the best..thx

I often will return here to play along...

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic