Busking Motown

suziko

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 am

Dennis,

Nice job on a true classic. I really liked the pared-down, arpeggio arrangment you did for it and the emotion you put into the vocals.

Otis Redding certainly died way too soon. There's a plaque at the Monona Terrace here in Madison, which overlooks Lake Monona, the lake into which his plane crashed in 1967. I'm going to try to attach a picture for everyone to see.

abiliog

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:12 am

Dennis,
What a great job, again. Everything is fantastic specially the vocals, really amazing.
Abilio

tovo

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Great job Den on a tune I don't think I've ever heard. Have been under a rock? I like being introduced to tunes by you and you did a wonderful job of this. Certainly nothing to suggest except that you take it to that club and share it with others.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I've never been a huge Motown fan, but this is great I love your version, great expression coming through in both guitar and vocals.

reiver

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Dennis - another song I've not heard for a while! I really enjoyed your version and it's fun to play along using lead triads. Nice key change in there as well. I guess I'd never really considered this to be a Motown sound - but whatever it was I thought you handled it very well. Some high notes in there!

Stuart

dennisg

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Kevin: Haha, it only seems like I have a new guitar for each video. The one I played on this video has incredible tone, despite what I do to it. What I did was to change my recording setup. (See my response to Chris for details, if you're interested.) Thanks for your kind comment.

Pierre: What are the odds that you and Chris would both reference that Animals song in two different threads? Seems kind of spooky to me. I so much appreciate your enthusiasm for this video, but I'm shocked that you could watch it five times -- which is four more times than I've seen it. But I'm flattered anyway. I think Hitchcockian Walkthrough would be a great name for a band, let alone a dog breed.

Marc: It's never occurred to me that most of my songs are not of the "soft" variety, but I appreciate the observation and the nice comment.

Anton: How nice to hear from you on one of my videos. You and I both agree on this: Motown was a great label.

Ness: I'm practicing smiling, an activity that doesn't come naturally to me. And, yeah, Wally is a sweet, gentle little guy.

Chris: I've been enjoying playing with a pick lately, so I thought I'd give it a shot on this video. I can hear where I was a little sloppy at times. You mention the recording setup being dialed in, and I'm glad you noticed it. This was the first time using this system. In the past, I've run everything through my amp, with lines from there to my Kodak camera. Recently I purchased a little Tascam mic that plugs directly into my iPad, and I used that to record Heartbreak Hotel and Shakin' All Over. Still not great sound. This time I went back to the amp, but instead of running lines to the Kodak, I used the iPad with the Tascam mic to pick up what was coming out of the amp. So far this is my favorite setup, but it's still miles behind setups like Buddy and Al use.

Sue: Thanks for your nice comment. And it's good to know that someone decided to commemorate poor Otis. Really a great singer.

Abilio: So nice of you to say that. I really appreciate it.

Tony: If I could ever remember the lyrics to this, I just might take it to an open mic. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chas: Thanks, pal. The lyrics sort of lend themselves to expressive singing.

Stuart (reiver): Two Stuarts. No waiting. Anytime you want to rerecord this with some of your leads in there, feel free. I'd love to hear what this song sounds like with a real guitar player on it. And, yeah, there are some high notes in this song. I was sitting on my genitalia in order to produce the desired effect, a little trick I learned while listening to the aHa hit "Take on me."

AcousticAl

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 am

Dennis,

My fave of yours to date- and you've got some great ones on here!

Loved your playing, loved your guitar (which one is it? Taylor?)
Loved your 'go for it' style of singing- and the range you got with your vocals.

Very impressed.

RicksPick

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 am

Dennis
SIR

Wonderful

RicksPick

dennisg

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 am

So sorry, everyone, for dragging this thread back to the top. I just wanted to thank to the two remaining people who posted after my last thank-yous went out.

Al: The guitar is a redwood (top) with cocobolo (back and sides) GC-size 12-fret Taylor that I picked up a few months ago. It's pretty much my go-to guitar now due to its size and tone. Perfect guitar for me. Thanks for stopping by and for your enthusiastic comments.

Rick: Thanks so much. Good to hear from you.

dekotaj

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:48 am

Hey D- I was watching Phil Collins Do A record of Motown songs last night on the TV.Hand the funk brother on it.It was just fantastic stuff.Made me think of this thread.If you get a chance to see you should check it out.

Kev

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic