Busking Michael Penn

sws626

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 am

Michael Penn's "Long Way Down," from his album "March."

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

Woha! You really meant that Stuart! ... a remarkable performance. Shall I send you some chocolate too? B)

willem

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Man you are so artistic,,you go deep and study't very well,,,you are a real performer I can tell, I was audience,,,deep bow no,no,,standing ovation..

Chris,, send chocolate over here..

W.

MarkM

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Stuart I'm not familar with this song but thought you did an outstanding job. One of your best to date. Great job!!!

MarkM

Hydroman52

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Stuart,

Bravo! I'm not familiar with Michael Penn (will check out if time permits), but I really don't need to compare. Your performance stands on its own and is very entertaining. Looked like there was a little stall here and there, but you played through very well. These wouldn't be noticed by a normal audience, and the only reason that I noticed is that I do it all the time and know what it looks like. After watching your other recent busking video (Just Breathe - nice picking and singing), I'm beginning to wonder if you didn't include them on purpose to make people like me feel better.

Looks like you're very comfortable with the 000-28EC (I believe that's correct?). I have a question and a suggestion.

Question: Are you using a music sheet behind the camera, or is everything by memory?

Suggestion: You may want to use more light in front of you and/or spin your seating arrangement so the lighting isn't so strong behind you. I know the music is the most important thing, but it looks like you have the singing and playing down already. You appear to be a photogenic person (a good natural quality), and you may want to bring that more to the front, too. It wouldn't be vain in my book, and I think it would add to the overall performance.

I appreciate your posting these videos here. I've gotten some good ideas from them.

Thanks!
Hydroman52

buddy

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Stuart, Great job on this tune, I had not heard this song before so thanks for the introduction.

Bud

lueders

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Yeah, I could feel the angst-laden, melancholy timbre of that one all the way across the drink! Nicely done Stuart! Your playing and singing seemed so natural...just as if your guitar and singing were just natural extension of you. Very nicely done!! Definitely felt that one!! :) :) :) :)

What it is with folks named Stuart? They tend to like the well-written dark broody music & be charismatic and cool? I' changing my name! (Sorry Mom...lol)

Lavallee

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 am

Stuart, not familiar with Penn or this song but you made it very interesting. Very passionate playing and signing. I will check Penn music.

Marc

sws626

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks, everyone, for listening. This was a song I'd been sort of working on in the background for quite a while, but had never tried to sign or record until this video. Michael Penn is a remarkable performer and I'd encourage you to check out some of his albums. He's also Sean's brother, in case you didn't know.

Hydroman52, I decided not to get too worked up over little mistakes and just record each of these in one take. I don't have the music or lyrics for any of these written down. I don't think I could read, sing, and play at the same time. Yes, the guitar is a 000-28EC. I absolutely love it. Yes, the lighting in this room isn't great and I may work on that one day. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your comments.

-Stuart

Here, to inspire you go to out and buy some of his music, is Michael playing this song on the Letterman show a few years back:

[video][/video]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic